2014-2020 Formula One 1.6l V6 turbo engine formula

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
redoctober89
redoctober89

Re: Formula One 1.6l V6 turbo engine formula

Putting yourself in Merc's shoes at the end (or even the middle) of last season.
>Your engine advantage over most of the pack is HUGE
>Assuming HPP provide the same engine spec to WF1 etc, any 2015 PU gains will also be utilized by them
>Merc's Aero was behind the competition last season, IMO RedBull were still the front runners.

Your looking ahead to next season (2015), where do you want to make the biggest step forward...
AERO IMO, and that is what I believe they have done.

I think HPP will have focused on improving durability and control systems for the start of the season.
They will keep the big engine performance improvements until they believe they need them and in the meantime, further improve them, and integrate them into they control system.

I believe Renault / Honda have done the opposite, gone for the big performance gains before homologation to the determent of durability and control system development.

Ferrari are somewhere in between I think, good aero, good engine, both with room for development.
Hopefully this could mean its not just a 1 team championship fight all season.

dren

Mercedes used quite a few tokens already. They have a variable intake system and a different exhaust layout. They also stated some of the biggest gains were inside the ICE.

Mercedes had arguably the best areo last year. We do know as a package, they had the best package by a long shot.

I don't think Honda and Renault expected to be where they are at the moment.

Ferrari made large gains, and seem to have a good package. They have a better grasp of the PU than Renault and Honda at the moment.

If Mercedes still has this gap after three races when the other teams are more sorted, don't expect anyone to challenge them except until we see the full potential of the Mclaren.
Honda!

AxialTurbine
AxialTurbine

Is it correct to say that the engine manufacturer can bring as many reliability improvements as they want through the season ?
In god we trust, everyone else brings evidence.

FW17

During testing certain commentators were mentioning that GPS measurements were used by manufactures to ascertain their rival engine's HP
:?:
How is this done

gruntguru
gruntguru

Acceleration at every point on the course. Once you have calculated the aero and rolling resistance, power is a function of velocity and acceleration.
je suis charlie

PlatinumZealot

Putting the power down is another thing. Nissan GTR vs new corvette Z06. 60 hp less, less torque too, but waaay faster sixty and quarter mile.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

itix

PlatinumZealot wrote:Putting the power down is another thing. Nissan GTR vs new corvette Z06. 60 hp less, less torque too, but waaay faster sixty and quarter mile.
That's only true from standstill though, isn't it? when you are up to speed there is very little slip.

And to know the power from GPS data you'd need to know the gear ratio to know the power at the crank which I hardly believe they know already. I saw some nice graphs last year that someone had compiled from TV screens from revs and gears etc etc, but that took a long while before he/she had compiled some proper data to get that.
Last edited by itix on 21 Mar 2015, 16:42, edited 1 time in total.
Massive rally fan... have fallen out of love with F1 yet again and have thus migrated

Harsha
Harsha

A Small question did any engine manufacturer implemented variable Trumpets ?

Abarth

Harsha wrote:A Small question did any engine manufacturer implemented variable Trumpets ?
I read somewhere that Mercedes did implement it, as well as Honda. But can't recall where.

Anyway, the gains will be minimal. It might be possible to achieve a larger engine speed range for best bfc. Peak Power (or bfc, as it boils down to it) will not be affected, as trumpet length surely has been already optimised at around 10'500min-1

Vary
Vary

Harsha wrote:A Small question did any engine manufacturer implemented variable Trumpets ?
Forma what I heard all but Ferrari, that didn't implemented them because Of the limited gains versus the added complexity...

FrukostScones

Ferrari, Mercedes "cheating" with fuel flow?

https://translate.google.de/translate?s ... t=&act=url
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

Mesteño

FrukostScones wrote:Ferrari, Mercedes "cheating" with fuel flow?

https://translate.google.de/translate?s ... t=&act=url

Impossible, people here told me they don't have any tricks :-"

ringo

I have hinted at the fuel flow trick some time ago in this thread... but nooo!!! :-"

http://www.f1technical.net/forum/viewto ... start=7410
For Sure!!

Flr Power
Flr Power

Mercedes could be using some form of hidden water injection...

FW17

I still think they are burning oil during the Hot laps