2014-2020 Formula One 1.6l V6 turbo engine formula

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
gruntguru
gruntguru

Re: Formula One 1.6l V6 turbo engine formula

Great post Bill. Were you just fishing for upvotes? Now where do I find the upvote total?

Oh - found it - 991.
je suis charlie

Joseki
Joseki

I was thinking: every F1 engine manufacturer is involved in the sport with an official team (McLaren is pretty much in a situation similar to Mercedes with the engine and chassis developed in two different nations but with a huge connection), is F1 now a real 2 classes category with "official teams" and "clients"?

OO7
OO7

Joseki wrote:I was thinking: every F1 engine manufacturer is involved in the sport with an official team (McLaren is pretty much in a situation similar to Mercedes with the engine and chassis developed in two different nations but with a huge connection), is F1 now a real 2 classes category with "official teams" and "clients"?
Both the Mercedes engine/PU and chassis are developed in England, albeit two separate locations, Brixworth and Brackley respectively.

Joseki
Joseki

Blaze1 wrote:
Joseki wrote:I was thinking: every F1 engine manufacturer is involved in the sport with an official team (McLaren is pretty much in a situation similar to Mercedes with the engine and chassis developed in two different nations but with a huge connection), is F1 now a real 2 classes category with "official teams" and "clients"?
Both the Mercedes engine/PU and chassis are developed in England, albeit two separate locations, Brixworth and Brackley respectively.
Oh, I always thought the power unit was developed in Germany, thank you for correcting me!

PlatinumZealot

Maybe German money, but it is mostly english engineering. There was actually a time when Mercedes reeeaaally sucked at making engines. BMW and Audi always had better. You could argue that Stuttgart garnered some knowledge from their involvement with Ilmor and now Brixworth.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

trinidefender
trinidefender

Isn't Ferrari the only F1 chassis constructor team that doesn't have their main base in the UK?

These days in terms of influence in design and engineering of professional race cars I would say the UK is top of the world. To bad they were never good at selling the cars :?

Here is a tidbit that many don't know. Before WWII the reich invested heavily in Mercedes and other racing teams. They wanted to dominate the world in racing and building cars. After the war it became a fight for german engineering of various kinds. The Americans and Russians were fighting over the rocket and aircraft designers. The UK was heavily in debt and saw a future and automotive design and manufacture. There was little interest by other allied countries for german automotive engineers, the UK snapped them up and that is part of how the UK started to became a powerhouse in automotive design. To bad the manufacturing never kept pace.

ripper
ripper

Where is Toro Rosso's chassis designed and built?

OO7
OO7

ripper wrote:Where is Toro Rosso's chassis designed and built?
Faenza in Italy I think.

NL_Fer
NL_Fer

Mercedes: Brackley Brixworth
Ferrari: Maranello
Williams: Grove
Redbull: Milton Keyes
Torro Rosso: Faenza
Force India: Silverstone
Lotus: Enstone
McLaren: Woking
Sauber: Hinwill
Manor: Dinnington
Haas: Kannapolis NC (USA) Banbury UK (Chassis designed @ Dallara Parma)
Renault (engines): Viry Chatilllon (France)
Honda: Milton Keyes & Tochigi (Japan)

Joseki
Joseki

Honda main base is at Sakura.

Facts Only
Facts Only

Torro Rossi have their wind tunnel in Towcester UK as well. Only Ferrari and Sauber don't have any U.K base.

I always thought it was odd that an F1 team is based in country that doesn't allow Motorsport.
"A pretentious quote taken out of context to make me look deep" - Some old racing driver

Shrieker

So new homologation means everything is open until the final date ? Are we sort of back to where we were this time 3 years ago ? If I got that correct, that is a great chance for everyone else to catch merc. isn't it ? Though i have a feeling mercedes still will sink in more $$$ and somewhat preserve their dominance.
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

NL_Fer
NL_Fer

So they have put the alternative engine on hold. But the manufacturers promised to make the current spec, more afforable and accessible for new manufacturers.

The most easy way is to ban the hybrid turbocharger. Altough it's a brilliant piece of engineering, i believe F1, the fans and smaller teams are better of with a conventional twin turbo setup, while keeping the flow limiter and the mgu-k. A conventional turbo will always be road relevant for street cars, both sporty and daily drivers.

Also a losing the mgu-h will introduce lag, which makes the cars harder to drive and more spectacular to watch. For the manufacturers, they will have to balance between power and drivablity. So maybe a less powerfull, but much more drivable engine will have a chance on track. Ofcourse sound will improve.

Introduce the ability for drivers to choose where to charge and discharge their (K)ERS. Now in a dual, the following driver has a option to charge up the car, before atempting to overtake. The leading car has to figure out where to use KERS to defend.

So bye bye Hybrid Turbo. We love you, but F1 is not where you belong.

hurril
hurril

F1 would become really boring again though.

FW17

NL_Fer wrote:The most easy way is to ban the hybrid turbocharger. Altough it's a brilliant piece of engineering, i believe F1, the fans and smaller teams are better of with a conventional twin turbo setup, while keeping the flow limiter and the mgu-k. A conventional turbo will always be road relevant for street cars, both sporty and daily drivers.
MGU H is fine they should keep it.

But till everyone are on the same power levels the MGU H power should be classed. 1 MJ, 2 MJ, 3 MJ and unlimited. Unlimited engine alone should be limited to 100kg/hr while the others should have increased fuel allowances according to the MJ class.

Merc would have still won the last 2 years but at least it wouldn't have been a white wash.