Force India VJM04 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
auto saibot

Re: Force India VJM04 Mercedes

the only visible change to my eyes is the difference between the venturi channels of the upper two wings...

roost89
roost89

n smikle wrote:Ah the revert to an older design philosophy on the front wing. So, the turkey wing was half baked then?
"New" wings are in the back of the photo. Seem to have taken both sets with them
"It could be done manually. It would take quite a while, but it could be done. There is however a much more efficient and accurate way of getting the data. Men with lasers." Wing Commander Andy Green

zgred

bot6
bot6

Ah, the amount of things you can do with double sided tape... like bind a plank to a tub...

Harvey
Harvey

Their low slung exhaust looks just like McLarens. Well, apart from the jubilee clips! I hope they race it JUST like that! :lol:

Giblet
Giblet

Not surprising as FI and Mclaren have a working technical relationship.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

PlatinumZealot

They have now put in the triangular strake at the exit of the exhaust beside the throat of the diffuser ala RedBull and Mclaren. Ferrari have also copied this and improved so I expect Force India to be more competitive just because of this upgrade.

Since they use the mecedez engine they should also be able to make the side pods much smaller - like Merc and Mclaren.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

bot6
bot6

The McLaren sidepods are huge, and Merc are using double decker radiators (and have cooling problems). So those sidepods might be huge (especially at the back near the suspension pick up point), but at least the engine does not overheat.

adrianjordan

bot6 wrote:The McLaren sidepods are huge
Not really when you consider how much volume is missing from the top of them. Different philosophy from every other car on the grid.
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

Byronrhys

n smikle wrote:They have now put in the triangular strake at the exit of the exhaust beside the throat of the diffuser ala RedBull and Mclaren. Ferrari have also copied this and improved so I expect Force India to be more competitive just because of this upgrade.

Since they use the mecedez engine they should also be able to make the side pods much smaller - like Merc and Mclaren.
I don't expect them to improve much, and the driver thinks the same:

"We have to decide today," said Sutil when asked by AUTOSPORT whether the team will run the package tomorrow. "The upgrade package didn't work at all. It [the aero] was stalling, then gaining grip and we don't know why.

"The general stability of the car is not there, but I am convinced that this is the way to go. The package has potential."

They have been on a downward spiral since midway 2010, a rejuvenated Sauber has taken over them.

PlatinumZealot

He said the package has potential.. so there you go. The strake trips up the exhaust flow before it goes under the diffuser and it creates a super vortex under the diffuser. It is very powerful if tuned properly, that is why redbull and mclaren are so far ahead.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

sriraj1031
sriraj1031

[...]
Last edited by Steven on 24 May 2011, 23:10, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Off-topic.This is a technical car thread, no team blabla please

volarchico
volarchico

Good prediction, came true today...

PlatinumZealot

Ah but Force india were on hard tyres! So Lotus is really about 0.4 seconds behind the FI right now.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Pierce89

n smikle wrote:He said the package has potential.. so there you go. The strake trips up the exhaust flow before it goes under the diffuser and it creates a super vortex under the diffuser. It is very powerful if tuned properly, that is why redbull and mclaren are so far ahead.
I seriously doubt that that one strake will bring FI huge gains and launch them up the grid. and off topic: Mclaren doesn't seem that far ahead of Ferrari or Mercedes(maybe the strake has let them down?)
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher