Virgin MVR-02 Cosworth

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
ESPImperium
ESPImperium

Re: Virgin MVR-02 Cosworth

The interesting design on the car i like is the gull necks on the beam wing, with the way the way their exhausts come out.

scuderiafan

Wirth designed that swan neck mounting for the Acura sports car prototype. Supposedly it gets more air underneath that wing.
"You're so angry that you throw your gloves down, and the worst part is; you have to pick them up again." - Steve Matchett

Patiently waiting...

LoudHoward
LoudHoward

I don't see why you'd expect something radical compared to the other teams. If they were the only team using CFD then maybe. But they're just a team using CFD only.

nacho
nacho

I don't think CFD or wind tunnel should change the way the car looks. The engineers still draw the cars.

zgred

Pierce89

Earnard Beccelstone wrote:
gridwalker wrote: Not really : I had just hoped that Nick Wirth's "revolutionary" way of designing a formula one car would result in a more distinctive piece of machinery ... the only words that I can find to use for this car are "non descript" ;)
Seconded.

I'd hoped that the 'all CFD' approach would result in something more radical than what they've shown with the VR-1 and VR-2. Very little exciting here.

I'm glad to see the cars this year are reasonably distinctive and show some interesting design approaches: McLaren's sidepods, William's rear end, Mercedes platypus nose, Toro Rosso's undercut double floor sidepod thingy (technical term that, I'm patenting it) and Redbull's amazing, dissapearing bodywork.
This is just "some car". Its the cheddar cheese of the F1 launches so far (looking at you HRT). If it were a colour, it would be beige.
Aero is aero from cfd or a windtunnel. CFD gives you numbers and helps you visualize what the flow is doing, but it can't design a car for you. That's all down to human's ideas. They would've built the same car if they used a tunnel or CFD(assuming both are accurate and give the same numbers). Virgin probably can't afford to work the bugs out of something too radical.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

forty-two

zgred wrote:Image
Can anyone tell me if we're seeing blistering or marble pickup on that tyre?

My guess would be marble pickup, but I'd like some other opinions.
The answer to the ultimate question, of life, the Universe and ... Everything?

Italiano
Italiano

Pickup, just look at the track in the background.
#Forza Michael #Forza Jules

Florio
Florio

I'd say pickup.

PlatinumZealot

LoudHoward wrote:I don't see why you'd expect something radical compared to the other teams. If they were the only team using CFD then maybe. But they're just a team using CFD only.
Virgin do use Windtunnels to test the car, just not as much as other teams. I just can't find where Nick Wirth said it, but he did. Something like they test the final model in the tunnel to see if it correlates, then the do the season development in CFD...
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

☄️ Myth of the five suns. ☄️

☀️☀️☀️☀️☀️
LxVxFxHxN

marcush.
marcush.

Nick wirth said they have decided to validate their CFD in realworld track evalution this year and have geared up considerably to enable themselves to exttract the necessary detail with enhanced measuring precision and even more sophisticated methodology.
I´m not entirely sure but I think he went as far as not doing any straightline /costdown testing as well...

zgred

forty-two

I hate to say it, and I mean that as I like the Virgin team, but does anyone else look at that car and think it looks a bit GP2?
The answer to the ultimate question, of life, the Universe and ... Everything?

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

I always think the Virgin car always looks a bit "special" but not special in race winning pace.... Thats all ill say.

The MVR-2 looks like its at a diffrent level to what Team Lotus have brought out and what Hispania are to be bringing out, but not in a good way.

But i may be wrong.

astracrazy
astracrazy

forty-two wrote:I hate to say it, and I mean that as I like the Virgin team, but does anyone else look at that car and think it looks a bit GP2?

there is prob better pictures i could find, but im at work. the nose is very alike

it does look like an evolution of the gp2-11