Simulator technology

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
Richied76
Richied76

Re: Simulator technology

Yeah see your point. Its just if i were a driver i would want as close a feeling to the real thing as i could get. even down to wearing gloves/boots ect. Yes like you say its the motion cues but the whole way a car is felt is through the tips of your fingers, toes and what you can see.

Mystery Steve
Mystery Steve

Yeah, but if the forces aren't completely life-like, it doesn't serve much purpose. Besides, a well-fitted glove should be fairly snug to the fingers and palm anyway, and it should more or less feel like it's not there when you're driving. And I can tell you first hand that driving with full racing gear feels virtually the same as driving without it. Your concentration is focused entirely on what the car is doing. Although, I could see a reason to wear the boots since they do affect the pedal feel. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised to learn that they do wear their racing shoes in the simulator.

flynfrog

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqkmrjKKt7g[/youtube]

why not go 3d

flynfrog

also that cluster rocks when you need to do some CFD in a hurry

ghost406
ghost406

This is there old simulator. They have a second one which is completly confidential and I heard that it is very very realistic!!

marcush.
marcush.

with the information available I struggle to understand what teams are hoping to find in a driving simulator ,apart from getting a driver familiar with the controls ,proceedures etc.

learn the track..laughable.Any decent driver knows how to drive quick ,no matter wich track it is.

For all other aspects the available vehicle dynamcs simulations do the job.

bcoxa
bcoxa

ghost406 wrote:
This is there old simulator. They have a second one which is completly confidential and I heard that it is very very realistic!!
Not so fussed by the actual sim its self, more the info later on that they are using the sim back at base through out a race weekend to assist setup adjustments that translate back to the track.
I'm not an engineer, just an experiment.

JohnsonsEvilTwin

@ Marcush

Im told that a Daimler subsidiary is doing the Mercedes GP Simulator...and that the cost is around 160 million euros! :shock:
Heres the one that is being speculated on at the moment.

http://germancarscene.com/2010/10/06/ne ... -unveiled/
More could have been done.
David Purley

Giblet
Giblet

marcush. wrote:
learn the track..laughable.Any decent driver knows how to drive quick ,no matter wich track it is.
However, knowing where every dip, dive, bump, etc. is will only make you a better driver on a track, faster. It's not about learning the best line, it's about getting all your braking points, apexes, etc in the ball park before arriving. To have a feel for a track and its surface.

The quicker a driver can get up to speed on a track they don't know well, the more usable data the team will have early in a race weekend especially in these times of limited testing.

No matter how good a driver is, there is always room for improvement.

iRacing has very realistic tracks, laser scanned down to every detail. Drivers that come from real series use their knowledge to go fast very quickly in the sim. It is a two way street I believe.

As any driver knows, each track has a rhythm, and finding your rhythm before arriving to the track can't hurt, right?
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

countersteer
countersteer

F1 Simulator - Robot Arm

Apologies if this has been posted before...

But to me, this makes far more sense than the 2D simulators I've seen referenced.
[youtube]http://youtu.be/oMLarxR-q08[/youtube]

sorry... try this. http://youtu.be/oMLarxR-q08

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Re: F1 Simulator - Robot Arm

Now that looks fun...!
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

marcush.
marcush.

we have somewhere here a thread dedicated to the current simulator technology and yes it has been posted already...

maybe you take a look at some rollercoaster videos ...also a lot of fun...
btw : the kuka robotarm experience is readily available in LEGOLAND in Günzburg ...

mep

This doesn't look to be close to 4g's.

Jersey Tom
Jersey Tom

Still don't understand why people are so horny for these driver sims.
Grip is a four letter word. All opinions are my own and not those of current or previous employers.

HampusA

Have you played one?

the gap between reality and virtual world is getting narrower as we speak.
The truth will come out...