My F1 Car - Jordan GP

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
humble sabot

Re: My F1 Car - Jordan GP

That front wing is making my head explode! Why so complicated?
the four immutable forces:
static balance
dynamic balance
static imbalance
dynamic imbalance

wesley123
wesley123

humble sabot wrote:That front wing is making my head explode! Why so complicated?
Simple answer; Why not? Dont want to be an ass to jordangp but the front wing on mine is even more compicated, mine makes that one looks simple lol. It is just normal development
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

gridwalker
gridwalker

I mean no disrespect to the designer with this comment (in fact, this is a compliment from me) but that front wing appears to be a derivative of one of the 2010 McLaren designs : it doesn't seem to be any more complicated than the wings we saw on track, so what is the problem?

EDIT :
If the FW endplate didn't simply curve over to form the first cascade element (toyota/lotus style), wouldn't JordanGP's FW end up looking rather similar to this?

"Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine ..."

Tozza Mazza

[quote="Carlos"]While we are discussing obligations. Tozza Mazza- no one participating on this Forum, are your employees or paid consultants, temper requests with a grace note of courtesy.

I did send a courteous PM to Jordan as well as the post, and i can see with hindsight that my post on the forum doesn't look too good. I apologise for this.
i also understand that no one here works for me or is a paid consultant, and never demanded anything from anyone. I'm sorry you took it the wrong way. I only want to make friends, no enemies.

JordanGP, I'm still interested in seeing the floor/diffuser from the bottom of the car, would be interesting to see what you've done on yours :)

Tozza Mazza

wesley123
wesley123

gridwalker wrote:I mean no disrespect to the designer with this comment (in fact, this is a compliment from me) but that front wing appears to be a derivative of one of the 2010 McLaren designs : it doesn't seem to be any more complicated than the wings we saw on track, so what is the problem?
Well i dont want to look like an ass(agai nlol), but the front wing is from mclaren with only a slightly different cascade, the body work is based on the red will with slight changes and the rear wing is an red bull - Renault combi.

Tim.Wright

wesley123 wrote: It is just normal development
Steching the the definition of word development there aren't we?

Tim
Not the engineer at Force India

jordangp

@gridwalker: yeah my design was very much inspired by the McLaren design, aswell as a few other ideas of my own that I'm sure you can see.

@wesley123 You're not being an ass and yeah you're pretty much right there with the idea style I went for, but of course I am not as good as the guys at Red Bull/McLaren/Renault etc. but it is mainly myh interpretations of other peoples ideas, then developed them all myself.

@Tozza Mazza I will upload a pic for you within the next couple of hours :D

I'll have to see about CFD though guys and whether I can get it converted.

Thanks for all the compliments guys!

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

humble sabot wrote:That front wing is making my head explode! Why so complicated?
Some of these models, although beautifully done and deserving of acclaim, are obviously following the school of "chuck everything at it because it must be better that way".

The fastest car of 2011 was also arguably the simplest in terms of 'bits and pieces'.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

wesley123
wesley123

Tim.Wright wrote:
wesley123 wrote: It is just normal development
Steching the the definition of word development there aren't we?

Tim
I am talking about regular development, as rules stay essentially the same teams will go with more and more complicated design, just the regular deal, that is what i essentially ment with it
Just_a_fan wrote:
Some of these models, although beautifully done and deserving of acclaim, are obviously following the school of "chuck everything at it because it must be better that way".
Well, I must say this car is one of the best of all the worlds, not quite an example of 'adding parts will make it better'.

LegendaryM's car wasnt the case either and becoming it more complicated with more winglet was because of regular development.

My car was pretty same either, things became more compicated as i understood these things better and it was just part of development and looking at other cars.
The fastest car of 2011 was also arguably the simplest in terms of 'bits and pieces'.
Or you can look into the future or you ment 2010
jordangp wrote:@wesley123 You're not being an ass and yeah you're pretty much right there with the idea style I went for, but of course I am not as good as the guys at Red Bull/McLaren/Renault etc. but it is mainly myh interpretations of other peoples ideas, then developed them all myself.

I'll have to see about CFD though guys and whether I can get it converted.
Well it sure looks good, that cant be doubted lol. Do you plan to update any parts?
What i will do because you seem to have retained that red bull DDD rear end without the DDD i would just try to slope it under the beam wing and make it tighter, you are with it just giving away a lot of DF and also it it quite draggy.

Carlos
Carlos

JordonGP - I mentioned a SketchUp plugin that converts models to some popular CFD formats. For more information:
Khamsin, a Google Sketchup Plugin for CFD Modeling
http://sites.google.com/site/juliendech ... amsin-Home

You might ask Greenpower Dude Reloaded to run your model in CFD. He was looking for models to process while building a portfolio of studies:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9408&p=219087#p219087

@Tozza Mazza: Sometimes I am a little excessive as Mr Manners. We've put that aside. Thanks for the PM. :)

jordangp

Cheers Carlos, I've downloaded Khamsin, but now I don't quite see how to get it to work, don't suppose anyone has any idea?

Skecthup (Free Version that I am using) can only export .dae files, would anyone be able to maybe covert this or whatever so it could be possibly used for CFD?

jordangp

As Promised Tozza Mazza here are some under body pics:

As you can see the diffuser 'starts' at the rear wheel center line.

Tozza Mazza

jordangp wrote:As Promised Tozza Mazza here are some under body pics:

As you can see the diffuser 'starts' at the rear wheel center line.
GREAT! Thanks a bunch! reassurance! I am on the right track (pardon the pun :lol: ). My diffuser is going to start there and my cars underbody, has a similar, albeit a tad different. I have a few ideas for a legal EBD loophole, (MAYBE, gotta trek through the rules!), but a few innovations on the way. Just gotta finish and then fit the step plane section, and I'm well on my way!
Thanks again!
A happy Tozza Mazza :D

jordangp

No problem mate, if there's anything else you wanna know, let me know.

I will be starting updates tomorrow.

Carlos
Carlos

dae is the file short form for Collada image files which are interchangable between many graphic design programs:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/COLLADA

What you would like to do is convert them to a CAD format:
http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/pc ... eID=123112

It's a start :D