Exhaust Blown Floor - Forward Exhaust Exit

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
Richard
Richard

Re: Exhaust Blown Floor - Forward Exhaust Exit

I gather that happens at supersonic flight with the sound waves, not sure it is possible at subsonic speeds. Also the exhaust volume is probably too small to make an appreciable difference to the resistance due to frontal area.

Ciro Pabón

Warp bubble? You cannot use shields inside a warp bubble! Transporters do not work when shields are up!

It's a trap!
Ciro

spaman

For sure this sounds kind of funny. But seriously, don´t you think that this idea might be part of the benefit(s) they try to achieve?

I just think it makes a difference if you move something through something else or if the object which is moving or at least part of it is surrounded by some kind of "atmosphere".

While moving, part of this "atmosphere" or "bubble" is continously carried away but at the same time replaced.

The friction of the surrounding air to the car is completely reduced since friction now is happening inbetween the gases of the exhaust and the air those gases are moving through.

Since the gases of the car are moving with the car, they should cause less drag and friction at the same time.

Richard
Richard

That probably does happen but the benefit will be small compared to the primary benefit of doing something with a vortex to seal the edge.

matt21

Other idea to use the exhaust gases for aerodynamics.

Do you think it is possible to route a pipe along the side edge of the floor and blow exhaust gases through a slit.
The intention behind is to use the gases as a skirt in order to seal the floor against air coming from the side.

xpensive
xpensive

Ciro Pabón wrote:Warp bubble? You cannot use shields inside a warp bubble! Transporters do not work when shields are up!

It's a trap!
This is a serious misconception Ciro, it is indeed possible to do so if you activate the cloaking-device simultaneously.
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

ringo

xpensive wrote:
ringo wrote:
xpensive wrote: Would it be too much to ask for input data to the above images, such as xhaust density, specific heat capacity, massflow, speed and temperature, ambient temperature, pressure and relative speed; Finally the software and processor used?
I have all those, but no one asked. :mrgreen:
I just did above and I'm still curiously waiting.
what would you normally expect for ambient temp and the other stuff you listed?
It's all typical values, exhaust stroke mass flow at 18000rpm etc, 25 ambient temp, nothing out of the ordinary.

density, at 70m/s:
I have an interesting video of what happens as the car speeds up, but i'm editing it to make it easy to upload, it's kind of long.

processor is i7 870
For Sure!!

xpensive
xpensive

ringo wrote: ...
It's all typical values, exhaust stroke mass flow at 18000rpm etc, 25 ambient temp, nothing out of the ordinary.
Do you even have a clue of what I'm asking for here, where did you download those images from anyway? :lol:

ringo

xpensive wrote:
ringo wrote: ...
Do you even have a clue of what I'm asking for here, where did you download those images from anyway? :lol:
I purposely didn't answer you because you are being cynical from the beginning.
To say i downloaded the images is also hilarious. This is Machin's F1 car, so someone else out there must have hacked into his computer then!

I don't even know if you are sure of what you are asking. how can i input a relative speed? what is that between the car and the road or the road and the air? You throw out a bunch of words ambiguously for what reason?

These programs come with material libraries, I can edit the properties of the gases liquids or solids. The inputs can go from anywhere from humidity to turbulence intensity, heat flux etc, fluid speed in x,y or z, swirl, surface rotation, ambient temp and pressure, etc. What's the point in me listing all the possible inputs to satisfy your cynicism?

The main focus is the air speed, surface roughness, the exhaust temperature, mass flow to name a few. Other inputs are typical range of ambient conditions and are presets from the library unless i chose to change them.
For Sure!!

segedunum
segedunum

You need rather a lot of energy to maintain a warp bubble because the external environment has more, just like these exhaust gases.

If Renault are doing anything it's in one specific area and we're no closer to finding out what it might be.

forty-two

Great work, as usual Ringo. Any sign of that video?

As for all the comments by people essentially saying that discussing this is a waste of time are frankly starting to get right up my chuff, if you don't want to play, go and play somewhere else in another thread.
The answer to the ultimate question, of life, the Universe and ... Everything?

spaman

Wasn't trying to play. Just called it "warp bubble" cause I thought that it was a good analogy.

xpensive
xpensive

@ ringo, just take things from the top and share your xhaust input data with us, how difficult can that possibly be?
xpensive wrote:Would it be too much to ask for input data to the above images, such as xhaust density, specific heat capacity, massflow, xit-speed and xit-temperature, ambient temperature, pressure and relative speed; Finally the software and processor used?
Nevermind the ambient stuff, I can figure that out myself, but I need the car-speed.

conni
conni

i dont know if you are aware but the renault engines shut down cylinders during certain corners and in the pits to save fuel but they do use a lot of oil and have to use a reserve tank as the engine cant carry enough

conni

BreezyRacer
BreezyRacer

conni wrote:i dont know if you are aware but the renault engines shut down cylinders during certain corners and in the pits to save fuel but they do use a lot of oil and have to use a reserve tank as the engine cant carry enough

conni
I can believe they shut down cylinders for traction control out of some corners and of course pit speed limits .. no problem there .. but are you implying that all F1 engines don't use a dry sump with external oil tanks?