Bahrain public unrest

Post anything that doesn't belong in any other forum, including gaming and topics unrelated to motorsport. Site specific discussions should go in the site feedback forum.

Should the Bahrain GP 2011 go ahead in your opinion

Yes, if Bernie decides it is safe they should race.
6%
No, the royal family who promote the race is disgraced and should not be rewarded with a 2011 Bahrain GP.
77%
I do not know what is right.
17%

Total votes: 35

FW17

Re: Bahrain GP 2011 and public unrest

mx_tifosi wrote:
WilliamsF1, Kyalami isn't a Grade 1 circuit, so a revamp by mid March seems quite out of the picture. See here.

Wonder what makes Monaco and Marina Bay a Grade 1 circuit?

Anyway FIA does need to get involved in a non-championship race

wesley123
wesley123

WilliamsF1 wrote:
mx_tifosi wrote:
WilliamsF1, Kyalami isn't a Grade 1 circuit, so a revamp by mid March seems quite out of the picture. See here.

Wonder what makes Monaco and Marina Bay a Grade 1 circuit?
Monaco is a track that has been on the calendar since the start of the world championship and it is the pearl of the whole championship.

Marina bay is a new circuit, seems quite logical that an purpose built track suits the requirements.

Plus, Ecclestone earns more money on Monaco and Marina Bay than on Kyalami
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

sknguy
sknguy

Even though they seem to be arresting protest organisers left and right I don't think this political unrest will end soon in Bahrain. Some nations are real backwaters when it comes to rights and freedoms. This past monday Syria sentenced a 20 year old blogger to five years in prison for spying. She'd already been in prison for the past year and was 19 when they initially arrested her. Apparently her blog offered political commentaries on Palestinian rights. I suspect her only crime was simply being a teenage idealist.

What has triggered everything was the young fruit vendor in Tunisia being beaten by police. And who then protested his beating by setting himself on fire. Egypt was pretty much a youth inspired and led revolt. I think the young people of these countries just want a fair shake at opportunities instead of the same 'ol state oppression.

IMHO I don't think F1 should stay away from Bahrain because it wouldn't be safe, but because it wouldn't be right. I love F1, but my entertainment isn't nearly as important as what the protestors are fighting for.

n_anirudh
n_anirudh

This is getting worse by the hour. 3 people dead and Manama is at a standstill. Plus, Melbourne is not ready yet for a GP..the stands are being constructed around Albert Park, but not the fencing etc....

WhiteBlue

There are independent reports from the international media and F1 BB members saying that armed forces attacked the protester camp at the roundabout at 3 am tonight with tear gas and rubber bullets. The protesters had brought their families and were peacefully sleeping at that time.

The attack must have cost many lives and hundreds of wounded with many of the victims small children. The hospitals are overloaded and the medical staff is needed to cope with the victims of the attack. The GP2 event was postponed officially due to no medical personnel available at the track.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

sknguy wrote: I suspect her only crime was simply being a teenage idealist.
That and being female or more importantly female with an opinion... :(
I love F1, but my entertainment isn't nearly as important as what the protestors are fighting for.
Sadly, what the protestors want is not what they'll get. They want democracy and "freedom" (whatever that means) but they'll probably end up with a pseudo-religious government that makes the present government look even-handed. I expect some of these countries to become new versions of Iran. And that is a very scary prospect indeed.

If the oil-prodcuing countries also "fall" then all bets are off...
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

nipo
nipo

@WB

Your sources? Maybe a link we can read in full?
Thanks! :)

FW17

Just_a_fan wrote:
If the oil-prodcuing countries also "fall" then all bets are off...
If they fall then its good bye OPEC and welcome cheaper fuel

Richard
Richard

If the doomsday scenario happens with Middle Eastern oil producing countries going the way of Iran, then oil prices for Western countries are sure to rise. They'll use oil as a strategic geo-political tool.

As opposed to OPEC who merely want to maximize return on the supply side without damaging the demand side.

Meanwhile back to the OP - we'll no doubt hear politicians condemn the use of tear gas on peaceful civilians. What sort of nasty horrid regimes uses tear gas and rubber bullets? What sort of nasty horrid people sell tear gas and rubber bullets to nasty horrid regimes?

The canisters in Tunisia and Egypt were marked "Made in USA". What did the USA think they were going to be used for when they were sold? Chasing rabbits off the golf courses?

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

http://gp2series.com/News-Room/News/201 ... scheduled/

Just wonder how quickly Yas Marina can get ready for the start of the F1 season??? Id love to see the F1 cars doing the layout the GP2 Asis Series used there last weekend where the used the 4.7km Corkscrew layout.

ALternitivly, could they use a European cuircit??? Mugello/Imola would be the two id be thinking of.

Alternitivly, could Sepang be switched to the first GP???

I just hope that Bernie and Jean are on the phone to each other regularly today and tomorrow, as i just hope they have a Plan B.

FrukostScones

Just cancel the race and wait for the Australien GP. As I remember last years race in Bahrain was soooo boring, with the rest of the season beeing soooo exciting.

I don't want see the F1 beeing the reason for beating or killing people.
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

FW17

Bernie wants money Image= Qatar Losail or Dubai Motorcity

JohnsonsEvilTwin

FrukostScones wrote:

Its the minority supressing the majority, what is happening has nothing to do with F1.
Sad to see but F1 for all its faults is never the reason for whats happening out there.
More could have been done.
David Purley

FrukostScones

JohnsonsEvilTwin wrote:
FrukostScones wrote:

Its the minority supressing the majority, what is happening has nothing to do with F1.
Sad to see but F1 for all its faults is never the reason for whats happening out there.
Sorry, but do you think I am stupid?Of course people are not revolting because of F1, but the demonstrators wanted to use the F1 grand prix as "stage" for their protests. The Bahrainis of course want to avoid that, so they try to prevent this maybe with more force than needed. Only to show the western tourist how peaceful their country is.

http://edition.cnn.com/2011/SPORT/motor ... ix.doubts/
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

WilliamsF1 wrote:
If they fall then its good bye OPEC and welcome cheaper fuel
Wrong. If OPEC fails then oil will become a stick to beat the US / Israel around the head with. They'll turn off the oil and wait for the West to squeal - the fact that their own people will suffer won't matter one jot... :cry:
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.