Bahrain public unrest

Post anything that doesn't belong in any other forum, including gaming and topics unrelated to motorsport. Site specific discussions should go in the site feedback forum.

Should the Bahrain GP 2011 go ahead in your opinion

Yes, if Bernie decides it is safe they should race.
6%
No, the royal family who promote the race is disgraced and should not be rewarded with a 2011 Bahrain GP.
77%
I do not know what is right.
17%

Total votes: 35

Pandamasque

Re: Bahrain GP 2011 and public unrest

The GP2 Asia race due to take place in Bahrain has been cancelled at the request of the Bahrain Motorsport Federation.
The race has been called off due to “force majeure”, a legal definition which includes civil disorder.
http://joesaward.wordpress.com/2011/02/ ... cancelled/

FrukostScones

Abu Dhabi as opener I could accept, somewhere I read that they already offered the track for testing (as replacement for Bahrain-testing in two weeks):

some oone wanted the Gp2 asia layout:
f1 layout:
Last edited by FrukostScones on 17 Feb 2011, 15:21, edited 1 time in total.
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

gridwalker
gridwalker

richard_leeds wrote:What sort of nasty horrid people sell tear gas and rubber bullets to nasty horrid regimes?

The canisters in Tunisia and Egypt were marked "Made in USA". What did the USA think they were going to be used for when they were sold?
Well, the tear gas, thunderflashes and other weaponry being used against civilian protesters in Bahrain were all made in the UK ... doesn't it make you proud? </sarcasm>

Taken from the Guardian Bahrain live feed :
Former Labour minister Denis McShane has dug this out from the Department of Business's report on weapons exports. In the third quarter of 2010 the British government agreed to export licences to Bahrain for this equipment. Bear in mind that the third quarter of 2010 coincides with the elections in Bahrain and the crackdown on Shia opposition groups that saw some 250 people arrested and jailed.

Here's what was approved: "CS hand grenades, demolition charges, demolition devices, exploding simulation devices, fire simulation equipment for small arms ammunition, illuminators, military devices for initiating explosives, signal flares, signal hand grenades, smoke ammunition, smoke canisters, smoke generators, smoke hand grenades, stun grenades, tear gas/irritant ammunition, tear gas/riot control agents, thunderflashes, training anti-aircraft ammunition, training hand grenades." (Source: House of Commons Library.)

And, yes, if you look at the videos from last night you can see tear gas cannister being used as well as thunder flashes.
"Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine ..."

gibells
gibells

It would be great to see Qatar have the chance to host it. They could even get Bernie all excited and have a night race. Can anyone tell me why not?

http://www.circuitlosail.com/index.php

On the website it looks like they don't even have anything booked during that weekend. Come on Bernard. Make it happen.

gibells
gibells

gridwalker wrote:
richard_leeds wrote:What sort of nasty horrid people sell tear gas and rubber bullets to nasty horrid regimes?
Guns don't kill people, rappers do.

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

Martin Haven is reporting that Bahraini internet is now effectivly shut off, the only way he has been able to access the internet is down to a couple of the GP2 teams having some service still avalable.

I recon that we will be back at Yas Marina in arround 10 days time for the F1 testing and in arround 3 weeks for the first race of the season. Only sensible option, then put Bahrain to the end of the season if all has settled, or put in an additional Europen round if all hasnt settled.

Richard
Richard

gridwalker wrote:Well, the tear gas, thunderflashes and other weaponry being used against civilian protesters in Bahrain were all made in the UK
Indeed. I only mentioned the USA because that was the one quoted in the media for Tunisia. The French also have a thriving arms industry, and the UK apparently lead on some types of torture equipment.

I appreciate there are legitimate reasons for tear gas and stun grenades, they allow a less-lethal alternative to firearms. However, you do have to wonder about the civil servants who sign off the export approvals. A simple calc of canisters per head of population would quickly show some countries are doing more than just maintaining reserves.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

gridwalker wrote:Well, the tear gas, thunderflashes and other weaponry being used against civilian protesters in Bahrain were all made in the UK ... doesn't it make you proud? </sarcasm>
Yes. Quality kit, well made, worked as advertised. And no, I'm not being sarcastic.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Richard
Richard

gridwalker
gridwalker

Alternative venue for season opener "impractical" : http://en.espnf1.com/bahrain/motorsport ... 41087.html

Not really surprising IMHO
"Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine ..."

WhiteBlue

nipo wrote:@WB

Your sources? Maybe a link we can read in full?
Thanks! :)

http://forums.autosport.com/index.php?s ... &p=4846210
http://forums.autosport.com/index.php?s ... &p=4848040
http://forums.autosport.com/index.php?s ... &p=4848064
http://www.bellinghamherald.com/2011/02 ... prise.html
http://willthef1journo.wordpress.com/
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-12490286

My read on the situation is panic by the Al Kalifa family as a reaction to the request of the protesters that their prime minister (for 40 years) should step back and be independently elected. They brought in the Saudi army and pulled off the surprise attack on the Pearl roundabout crowd last night. With Saudi armed forces in charge of the city the chance of bloody escalation is rising by the hour in my view. The cancellation of the GP2 race by the reigning family shows that race meetings under current conditions are impossible. Hence we would have to see a massive de escalation for the test and the F1 race to go ahead. This isn't likely if you have followed how this conflict has developed over the past five days.

I guess we will have another test in Spain as much of the equipment for Bahrain has been shipped out already. Probably they will not be able to re route it to another Arabian destination. IMO the race will be cancelled unless the thread of armed forced totally subdues the protests in the next 24 houres.

I don't believe that the race will be replaced considering that the calendar is full with 19 other races. That is the sad reality. It shows that feudalism even in a fairly liberal form as in Bahrain can never be trusted to show proper respect to human rights.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

Im thinking that there could be a massive altering of the front end of the callender, if Bernie holds out long enough before making any sort of desision.

Ill start by saying there could be a new set of testing at a European track that is avalable, Imola, Mugello or somewhere like Portamao would be my ideal locations if, and it more than probable now the test at Bahrain is cancelled, alternitivly there is Yas Marina cuircit, but that would mean the teams would have to send Sea Freight there.

Secondly, if Bahrain is suspended, id recon that the callander could start in Malasia now, as sea freight could be there, then switch to Albert Park, then Shanghai. Id leave Shanghai where it is as we saw last year with the Volcanic Colud that the Chineese authorities wernt extending visas and such. Many visas will be in place for Shanghai already and lets leave that be. Albert park cant be used for testing, and generally is on a tight timeframe for set up, usually arround 4-5 weeks disruption of various levels.

Sepang is set up more or less all year round, only the TV cameras and media facility would need set up propperly.

Personally, id go to Abu Dhabi and use the "Corkscrew" layout as thats a 4.730km track layout, whitch would see a 65 lap race. And testing would be on that layout as well.

I just do not see the 2011 Bahrain GP going ahead at the present moment.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

It may not be possible to go elsewhere instead:
Asked if the race could be held elsewhere, Booth [from Virgin Racing] said: "Impractical. Our sea freight, like every other team's, left for Bahrain a month ago, and a lot of the equipment in the sea freight is vital of the running of the cars. So to run it somewhere else would be very difficult."
this from http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsp ... 400392.stm
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

JohnsonsEvilTwin

ESPImperium wrote:somewhere like Portamao would be my ideal location
Yup, probably a bit crass to discuss this in light of the current plight of dissenters in Bahrain. But Portimao would be perfect. Close to most teams bases, and has the infrastructure to deal with the event.
The venue could also be readied in next to no time given the organisers ability to develop good fascilities, and its relative "newness". A shoe in if you ask me, and about time Portugal got back on the calender.

@Frukostscones
Not stupid mate, read your sentence then tell me what you think you meant?
More could have been done.
David Purley

WhiteBlue

ESPImperium wrote:Im thinking that there could be a massive altering of the front end of the callender, if Bernie holds out long enough before making any sort of desision.

Secondly, if Bahrain is suspended, id recon that the callander could start in Malasia now, as sea freight could be there, then switch to Albert Park, then Shanghai. Id leave Shanghai where it is as we saw last year with the Volcanic Colud that the Chineese authorities wernt extending visas and such. Many visas will be in place for Shanghai already and lets leave that be. Albert park cant be used for testing, and generally is on a tight timeframe for set up, usually arround 4-5 weeks disruption of various levels.
I think you have no idea of the logistic and business complications. Nothing of this will happen IMO. The race will either be run in Bahrain under military curfew or cancelled without a replacement. Just the insurance implications of running it under military siege in Bahrain would be prohibitive. It all points to the loss of the opening race this year.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)