Pirelli's poor consistancy a reflection of their road tires?

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
Jersey Tom
Jersey Tom

Re: Pirelli's poor consistancy a reflection of their road ti

G-Rock wrote:Why did Bridgestone pull out? I'm speculating but maybe because these cheesy mandates weren't helping their image any.
I'd say it would be more of... being absolutely outrageously expensive to support, for what you get out of it from a marketing standpoint.

Bridgestone/Firestone (BSFS) out of F1 and out of Indy Car, and are pretty obviously focusing their marketing money elsewhere. Superbowl halftime show, golfing... other sports.
Grip is a four letter word. All opinions are my own and not those of current or previous employers.

strad

="Jersey Tom"]Except the level of wear and give-up in these tires, at least in the initial testing, was dramatically more than I believe they were intending. There's a difference between "Let's have some tires that give-up some over the race to put emphasis on pit strategy and tire management" and "Let's have tires that shred to hell and lose all their grip over a handful of laps.".............
For once we agree...I'll have to mark it on the calendar. :lol:
Last edited by strad on 08 Apr 2011, 19:47, edited 3 times in total.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

ringo

For Sure!!

Jersey Tom
Jersey Tom

Bit surprised they're using that style build machine in what's a relatively new factory.
Grip is a four letter word. All opinions are my own and not those of current or previous employers.

DaveW
DaveW

Interesting..... I had no idea tyre manufacture was an art form. Small wonder that each copy is unique....

strad

I don't think it reflects on their road tires, but it sure sux for racing. It really doesn't matter how many passing aids you have if you have to drive thru this minefield to try. There are marbles on the straight at Malaysia and it is clearly one lane all the way around.
I'm glad you guys like your pitstops.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

CHT
CHT

What sort of tyres is Pirelli trying to promote in F1?

I have been wondering what exactly is Pirelli's objective in F1.

A bunch of high degrading tyres with marbles scattered all over the track doesn't really give me a positive impression about the brand.
Last edited by mx_tifoso on 12 Apr 2011, 07:15, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Was a seperate thread, merged into here.

gcdugas

Re: What sort of tyres is Pirelli trying to promote in F1?

CHT wrote:I have been wondering what exactly is Pirelli's objective in F1.

A bunch of high degrading tyres with marbles scattered all over the track doesn't really give me a positive impression about the brand.
Pirelli was always out-classed by Michelin and even Goodyear. The FIA didn't let on but they were desperate for a tyre supplier. Max chased out Michelin, BMW, Toyota and Honda. Todt was happy to get Pirelli to bail him out of an embarrassing situation where they had no supplier. Pirelli tyres suck and with no competitors in F1 they aren't likely to improve or learn anything. I can't think of any formula or series where Pirelli have squarely beaten their adversaries.

So in sum we have this... Pirelli have sucked in the past, they suck in the present and they will suck in the future. Thanks a lot Max for driving Michelin from the sport.
Innovation over refinement is the prefered path to performance. -- Get rid of the dopey regs in F1

Dragonfly
Dragonfly

I accept more or less the deliberate production of tires which wear out more quickly. But isn't it possible to design a compound which produces smaller sized marbles, not to say chunks?
In contrast to previous years now the racing line is seen as the brighter part of the track as less rubber is rubbed in the tarmac and the sides are densely covered with large rubber pieces.
Although the TV quality was poorer and there was no internet back in the old days with Goodyear tires, I don't remember seeing so much marbles not only at the corners, but on the straights also.
F1PitRadio ‏@F1PitRadio : MSC, "Sorry guys, there's not more in it"
Spa 2012

raymondu999

I don't know if this has been mentioned, but while we're on the subject of marbles, Di Resta says that the marble situation is so bad that drivers' hands get bombarded by the marbles from tyres http://www.gpupdate.net/en/f1-news/2572 ... -my-hands/
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Sayshina
Sayshina

Re: What sort of tyres is Pirelli trying to promote in F1?

gcdugas wrote: Pirelli was always out-classed by Michelin and even Goodyear. The FIA didn't let on but they were desperate for a tyre supplier... Pirelli tyres suck and with no competitors in F1 they aren't likely to improve or learn anything. I can't think of any formula or series where Pirelli have squarely beaten their adversaries...
Making comparisons to what happened decades ago and assuming they have bearing on what might happen tomorrow is somewhat foolish.

Pirelli have done exactly this in WSB, and the last time competitors raced against these "spec" tires they learned that no competition did NOT stop Pirelli from developing their brand. Pirelli did in fact squarely beat their adversaries. Just saying...