Pirelli's poor consistancy a reflection of their road tires?

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Re: Pirelli's poor consistancy a reflection of their road ti

G-Rock wrote:Maybe Porsche knows that a serious sports car company can better spend their money on a stable more purist form of racing like the ALMS (where a 911 won the WC over Ferrari/BMW btw)
...wearing Michelin tyres I believe. :lol:
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Saribro
Saribro

Heh. I'm not even sure which tires are on my car...

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Saribro wrote:Heh. I'm not even sure which tires are on my car...
Do you pay for them yourself? If so, how do you know that you're getting what you pay for?

Saribro
Saribro

I trust the guys at the garage?

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Wow.

I'm honestly shocked.

Ciro Pabón

Of course that F1 tyres have nothing in common with Pirelli regular tyres. F1 tyres have no poor consistency, they are designed that way. You need to write insidious posts to suggest the relation, be extremely naive or simply have no idea of what's going on in F1, something which can happen to many.

I only buy the cheapest tyres that happen to have a guarantee AND I buy them at retailers that do not ask questions (well, unreasonable questions) when you ask for a refund. Period. I do not care what brand they are, they are all the same thing. It's exactly like buying oranges, a commodity.

Much (but a lot!) more important than the brand is correct pressure and good handling, I agree on that with the people that agrees with me.

I don't like the title of this thread, I'm going to play with my other friends and I'm taking my ball...
Ciro

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Ciro Pabón wrote: I do not care what brand they are, they are all the same thing. It's exactly like buying oranges, a commodity.
Any number of published tests say otherwise. There are measurable differences between brands and there are bigger differences between "quality" and "cheap" tyres.

From someone who espouses engineering principles so vocally elsewhere, your view surprises me.

Belatti
Belatti

This type of racing cars do use street tyres.

Thats because they are cheap and they last (they are oversized, of course).

I can assure you that the brand and quality has a lot to do here.
"You need great passion, because everything you do with great pleasure, you do well." -Juan Manuel Fangio

"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication and competence." -Ayrton Senna

Agenda_Is_Incorrect
Agenda_Is_Incorrect

Just_a_fan wrote:
Ciro Pabón wrote: I do not care what brand they are, they are all the same thing. It's exactly like buying oranges, a commodity.
Any number of published tests say otherwise. There are measurable differences between brands and there are bigger differences between "quality" and "cheap" tyres.

From someone who espouses engineering principles so vocally elsewhere, your view surprises me.
I disagreed with you on the Ferrari testing topic but will have to agree with you on this one. Tires having no difference is BS, pressures being correctly adjusted or not for each tire. Ciro likes to do some "polémica" sometimes and look like smart. I can see he his trying to react to a not very good topic title but this is overdoing it. There's clear big differences into the same price tag sometimes. I won't even comment on the cheapest tires you can buy with warranty. At least around here that means zero grip in the rain and possibly a tire failure in higher speeds.

Bellati, not only in racing series you can feel that. I had a car with Firestones F700 that no matter what pressure I put on they were absolute trash. Someone with a car very similar to mine and a pair of nice Bridgestones G3 was able to take a second of my lap doing way less effort and driving way less at the limit in a track day. And I had new tires against his used G3's.
I've been censored by a moderation team that rather see people dying and being shot at terrorist attacks than allowing people to speak the truth. That's racist apparently.

God made Trump win for a reason.

bhall
bhall

Agenda_Is_Incorrect wrote:
Just_a_fan wrote:

For the overwhelmingly vast majority of motorists on the road - I'd be willing to bet 99/1, but WhiteBlue could probably give more accurate odds - the tires on their vehicle are of no consequence, and they wouldn't recognize retreads from the finest tires in all the land.

And I think it should be that way. Despite whatever illusions we may harbor during our morning commute on the freeway, we're just motorists and not competing in a race.

Agenda_Is_Incorrect
Agenda_Is_Incorrect

Not all cars are bought to do only boring commutes, specially on a forum full of F1 fans. Nor you need to go on racing or competition mode to make commutes less boring or to justify better tires.

For most people so is their car safety of "no consequence", until the day they need it. Same about tires, where they are all the same for most, until they need to brake harder on the rain or change them at 20k miles instead of 50k with a good durability tire.

And why should it be that way? If you take it from the majority and consider that the car should just be a block of iron with wheels to commute, why should we have radial tires? Well, we could use animals again instead of engines then.

I think we are starting to go down the road of rotten philosophy just to make a point about the OP affirmations. Ok, street and road tires are not the same but road tires and random round pieces of rubber are not the same as well.
I've been censored by a moderation team that rather see people dying and being shot at terrorist attacks than allowing people to speak the truth. That's racist apparently.

jddh1

Pirelli is the supplier for WRC so they know how to make good tires. This is just the first batch and they'll get better through the year.

xpensive
xpensive

Ciro Pabón wrote:Of course that F1 tyres have nothing in common with Pirelli regular tyres. F1 tyres have no poor consistency, they are designed that way. You need to write insidious posts to suggest the relation, be extremely naive or simply have no idea of what's going on in F1, something which can happen to many.
What in the wide world of cricket are you talking about Ciro, why would Pirelli use Formula One as a marketing tool if their race tyres were not a reflection of their street-legal product and why would they xpect to increase their market share vs Bridgestone after this season? Do you really think people are stoopid?
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

bhallg2k wrote:
For the overwhelmingly vast majority of motorists on the road - I'd be willing to bet 99/1, but WhiteBlue could probably give more accurate odds - the tires on their vehicle are of no consequence, and they wouldn't recognize retreads from the finest tires in all the land.

And I think it should be that way. Despite whatever illusions we may harbor during our morning commute on the freeway, we're just motorists and not competing in a race.
Published tyre tests show braking distance differences between the best and worst tyres to be well in excess of a car length, particularly in the wet. Anyone who has had to do an emergency stop will benefit from the better quality tyres.

Like ABS, until you need it you don't see the point. It's too late to moan once you're ploughing in to the back of the car in front because of crap tyres though...

I tend to buy tyres on the basis of their braking performance. I don't care about the last nth of cornering grip but I do care about being able to stop quickly. Indeed, a tyre that isn't quite as grippy in damp corners can be much more fun than a grippy one. But it must be good under braking in order to get me to spend my money on it.

Agenda_Is_Incorrect
Agenda_Is_Incorrect

Just_a_fan wrote:Like ABS, until you need it you don't see the point. It's too late to moan once you're ploughing in to the back of the car in front because of crap tyres though...
Exactly.