Spygate, again (from No Angel: The Secret Life of Bernie E.)

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
vall
vall

Re: Spygate, again.

I wander how reliable is all this?

andrew
andrew
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland - WhiteBlue Country (not the region)

If it's not, I expect MrM to sue MrE and/or the auther for libel. We all know about MrM's love of taking things to court.

MrM hasn't dained any Sunday papers with his presence moaning about this book so I guess it is true.

fausto cedros

Hi friends
According to the italian "F1blog.it" the ultimate leak from the book "No angel" is reported to be Alonso asking Dennis after Hungarian gp qualifies to deliberately put an unsufficient fuel quantity in Hamilton's car to prevent him winning the GP. Should this be confermed, FIA should better ask Ferrari to hire another driver for the sake of sport. I thought that schumacher was not at the top of parade in terms of loyalty, but i realize whAT i already knew, that Alonso is the real "No Angel".
"Adding power makes you faster on the straights. Subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere" Anthony Bruce Colin Chapman

mep

Can someone give me a link to the book.
I consider buying it but I don't want to get the wrong one.

Ok sorry I think I found it:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0571 ... 057126929X

McG

Hopefully Alonso will get banned, McLaren will get their points and money back, the old farts will apologise to Ron and Hamilton for their comments. Plus an apology to all the fans at the first race of 2011.
F1 is dead.

wesley123
wesley123

well stay hoping as that is never going to happen.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

kalinka
kalinka

fausto cedros wrote:Hi friends
According to the italian "F1blog.it" the ultimate leak from the book "No angel" is reported to be Alonso asking Dennis after Hungarian gp qualifies to deliberately put an unsufficient fuel quantity in Hamilton's car to prevent him winning the GP. Should this be confermed, FIA should better ask Ferrari to hire another driver for the sake of sport. I thought that schumacher was not at the top of parade in terms of loyalty, but i realize whAT i already knew, that Alonso is the real "No Angel".
Actually it did fit in the pattern. Firts this, then crashgate, then "Alonso is faster"...who knows what's next. Alonso actually did learn from Schumacher. He's now doing his dirty jobs rather in box, not on track where he's so exposed to critics :(

Steven
Owner

Whether the Alonso thing is reliable or not really doesn't change anything. Tension was very high at that time, with Hamilton not allowing Alonso through, then Alonso playing dirty the other way around.

What has been said afterwards has little to do with reason, and a lot with intense emotions. Frankly, any statement back then put here as a serious, calm sentence is a completely different thing than spoken in anger during a discussion.

MOD: Any references to incidents at other teams are completely irrelevant as well. I will leave this open for the sake of the book and perhaps also for that incident, but NOT for "crashgate" or "Ferrari no1".

Pup
Pup

Re: Spygate, again (from No Angel: The Secret Life of Bernie

Alonso's actions are unimportant because they happened in the heat of the moment? Those are in fact the very times when a persons character is revealed. One doesn't have the luxury of an edit button in life, though Alonso does seems to have benefitted from a symapthetic mod or two. :wink:

nipo
nipo

Well I agree with Tomba we have to see the context in which Alonso made that "request". If it's like he's just being angry and goes "If he can do that to me I'm gonna ask you to put less fuel into his car so that he'll not finish the race!!!" - sort of an emotional outbreak where he obviously didn't really mean it. But if he is being angry and deliberate, like "I don't like where this is heading, I don't know but I think you can do something like putting not enough fuel into his car", then it is quite a serious thing to consider.

WhiteBlue

I have never been an Alonso fan so my outlook on the man does not change much. He is obviously a very good driver but not a person I would want to have dinner with. Instead of spilling the beans to Briatore he should have talked to his team principal or if he had a problem with all the lies he should have gone to the FiA.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

myurr
myurr

The interesting detail for me is that in the original account of what happened it was alleged that Alonso didn't tell Ron about the emails before the first trial and it was at Hungary that he revealed their existence to him. As far as I'm aware that's not something that has been denied.

This account says that Alonso had already gone to Mosley by this point and told him about them, but this would mean that he deliberately kept them from Dennis. Pure speculation, but I wonder if Mosley told him to keep them to himself so that he could later use them to attack McLaren? I can't think of that many other explanations for why Alonso was lying to his team boss whilst telling the head of the FIA the truth.

Alge7a
Alge7a

forty-two wrote:Well, if life has taught me only one thing, it's that SOMETIMES your opinion of someone can be wrong.

I was never a fan of Mosley, and I don't care very much for Bernie's way of doing things, BUT I saw Max on Question time a little while ago, and I was prepared for a load of "upper class twit" vitriole, but I have to hand it to the guy, what he had to say made absolute sense. Perhaps he's a better politician than I gave him credit for in the past, and what that says about me is perhaps a little worrying given his father's politics!

Onto the book in question, has anyone bought it? Is it any good?

I think I might make a trip to the bookshop tomorrow if so...
I agree. Max is very smart and an excellent politician. Although let's not forget he was his fathers campaign manager. Is that correct? I think so. Anyways like most leaders who stay at the top for too long, a sense of delusion/megalomania always sets in and then your your use is massively impaired. Blaire and Thatcher being prime examples. The american system of 8 years I think is the most someone should have total control. Maybe six.

andrew
andrew
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland - WhiteBlue Country (not the region)

WhiteBlue wrote:Instead of spilling the beans to Briatore he should have talked to his team principal or if he had a problem with all the lies he should have gone to the FiA.
Briatore was the only one he could go to. If he went to Ron Dennis then McLaren would close ranks and make Alonso look a fool. If he went to the FIA and they approached McLaren, then the shutters would come down and Alonso would be made to look bonkers. Briatore would have been his only allie in this so it figure that he ran to his personnal manager.

Pup
Pup

andrew wrote:Briatore was the only one he could go to.
For what? Blackmailing and double crossing his team? Trying to weasel out some immunity for cheating? Yes, there's that.