BMW Megacity Electric Car

Breaking news, useful data or technical highlights or vehicles that are not meant to race. You can post commercial vehicle news or developments here.
Please post topics on racing variants in "other racing categories".
Giblet
Giblet

Re: BMW Megacity Electric Car

Nah Richard, this is a car thread :)

All the nuclear action can be had over here now.

Really all we need to know about the megacity related to that discussion is that yes, it will need power, and yes it needs to come from somewhere.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

WhiteBlue

Thanks to Giblet for sorting this thread out.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

Garfed
Garfed

This is the way to go in the future - to lose weight. Less energy is required to achieve the same performance. Needs of the smaller tires, etc., etc.

N12ck

Re: BMW Megacity electric car with carbon monocoque

Just_a_fan wrote:They'll do well to produce a 5-seater monocoque weighing less than 80Kg...
All i say is no way can they do that, as a kart weights 80kg and thats lightweight as it is, no way can they produce a car with all the upholstery and everything, a kart weighs 80kg and all it has is a bare frame steering wheel, seat, engine and wheels, and they want to make a cars monocoque weigh less than 80kg, no way are they going to achieve that.
Budding F1 Engineer

Giblet
Giblet

Mp4 12c monocoque - 176 lbs or 79.83 kg

And this is for a supercar that will have gobs of power and needs to be much stronger than an electric car, but for 5 people it will need to be bigger so the weight is reasonable.

Keep in mind that the monocoque is just the frame. There is no upholstery or anything else with that weight.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

HampusA

Car will be mid-engined and RWD, bit of a fresh air compared to other electric cars apart from the Tesla.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9GDztzJEvo[/youtube]
The truth will come out...