Malaysian GP 2011 - Sepang

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
myurr
myurr

Re: Malaysian GP 2011 - Sepang International Circuit

I don't think they'll gain a second, but they will have an update in Malaysia. They'll have updated parts for just about every race.

It's likely that the diffuser will be replaced with a carbon fibre one and that the exhausts will be tweaked. The rear package on that car was produced in two weeks. They have another two weeks before Malaysia in which to produce an update. Team personnel will fly out to the race with those parts as they are produced back in Woking.

beelsebob
beelsebob

You reckon Mclaren will again introduce a completely new exhaust package (or something of the same scale) in Malaysia and then gain a sec over their rivals?
I recon McLaren will introduce another rear-end system similar to the one they already have, but built out of carbon fibre, with more refinement in the shape of the thing, and with the exhausts somewhat more integrated. Sure – I'm not claiming they'll make a jump as big as the one they did at australia, but I am claiming that they know they have easy optimisations to the car to make and that they'll make some jumps that are more significant than 0.2s a lap. I wouldn't expect McLaren to be absolutely on Red Bull's qualifying pace, but entirely plausibly within 0.3 of them.

myurr
myurr

In Malaysia I don't think qualifying pace is going to be as important as race pace and race strategy.

I know some on here don't believe in race pace, but it does exist and is a factor of how well the car looks after the tyres. You may have the fastest car over a single lap, but if it chews its tyres then you aren't going to be able to push over a stint as much as a car that is slightly behind on pure pace but has better degradation.

Lca1443
Lca1443

What tires are Pirelli bringing?

PlatinumZealot

same from Australia.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

CyleB

Lca1443 wrote:What tires are Pirelli bringing?
the tyres for the first 5 races will be hard and soft
Look mama I'm going fast- Ricky Bobby

CHT
CHT

myurr wrote:In Malaysia I don't think qualifying pace is going to be as important as race pace and race strategy.

I know some on here don't believe in race pace, but it does exist and is a factor of how well the car looks after the tyres. You may have the fastest car over a single lap, but if it chews its tyres then you aren't going to be able to push over a stint as much as a car that is slightly behind on pure pace but has better degradation.
really depending if you are in the mid field or the front runner. every driver would love to have a clear track so that you don't have to deal with potential first corner collision, dirty air (which speed up tyres wear etc)

I think the tyre wear factor really depend very much on strategy and eventually it should even out as the season progress.

Morteza

This is a home race for Mercedes. Last year Nico qualified second and finished the race on the podium. This year though, it is pretty unpredictable.
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

raymondu999

A home race for their title sponsor, but not so much for their team, I don't think.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Morteza

raymondu999 wrote:A home race for their title sponsor, but not so much for their team, I don't think.
I meant for their title sponsor. Sorry for being too vague and not mentioning that.
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

raymondu999

Pardon me. Didn't mean to correct you as such. But yeah. I don't consider (sadly enough) Sepang to be a home race for anyone. If Fernandez really wants green and yellow Lotus to be considered true it shouldn't be a home race for them either. Silverstone should be their home race then.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Mr Alcatraz

I predict Alonso (and his Ferrari) will be on even terms as the McLarens, who may well be closer to the RB's. The tire wear will hurt Ferrari, they can't really afford to do extra stops, (I believe they will have that sorted out) Massa; has simply run out of talent, sad, very sad.
Those who believe in telekinetics raise my hand

raymondu999

I don't think it's as clear cut as McLaren now being ahead of Ferrari. Similar to last year, I think the two will yo-yo again, similar to last year.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

andrew
andrew
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland - WhiteBlue Country (not the region)

Red Bull are set to use KERS:

http://motorsport.nextgen-auto.com/Red- ... 20679.html

And I wouldn't be so sure about Ferrari improving in Malaysia:

http://motorsport.nextgen-auto.com/Ferr ... 20719.html

Antti-san
Antti-san

I hope Sauber continue to show good form like in Australia, without any further DSQ's. :wink: