Malaysian GP 2011 - Sepang

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
CHT
CHT

Re: Malaysian GP 2011 - Sepang International Circuit

does anyone know where will be the DRS zone at Sepang?
could it be the back straight leading to the hairpin?

raymondu999

I would think so. I think they did the right thing with the DRS zone in Melbourne. As Schumacher says, it shouldn't make the pass. It should put you in a position to pass (the guy has to defend into the corner, and the pass is done on the next straight
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

high-on-octane
high-on-octane

CHT wrote:does anyone know where will be the DRS zone at Sepang?
Pit Straight.

Source: http://adamcooperf1.com/2011/03/29/fia- ... aysian-gp/

Byronrhys

Let me just say, if there wasn't an RB7 on the grid this season would be so great, the field would be so tight.

beelsebob
beelsebob

Byronrhys wrote:Let me just say, if there wasn't an RB7 on the grid this season would be so great, the field would be so tight.
I'm quite sure we won't have to wait long – McLaren have a poorly understood but very fast car that'll only get faster; Ferrari have a car that tested very fast, and should come to them as they understand what went wrong in Aus.

netoperek
netoperek

...and Renault have a car that is fast and 2 drivers who desperately want to prove they're worthy of F1 seat.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Appears it to be the pit straight. Not surprising really as that's usually the bit with the expensive seats and the ticket holders will be annoyed if the overtaking happens elsewhere...

I bet in China it's the pit straight too for the same reason - although I reckon they'll claim the long straight already has an overtake opportunity.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

ringo

what's the tactic for this race now?

Use all the KERS on the back straight to pull away, then cruise and hope for the best on the pit straight?

2 long straights make things interesting tactics wise.
For Sure!!

CHT
CHT

ringo wrote:what's the tactic for this race now?

Use all the KERS on the back straight to pull away, then cruise and hope for the best on the pit straight?

2 long straights make things interesting tactics wise.
I am guessing that car coming out of the hairpin will be too slow to take advantage of the DRS on the pit straight. Due to the wide track, if the "DRSed driver" try too hard on the inside line with late braking at turn 1, chances car he just might loss his position at turn 2.

nipo
nipo

Is there any reason why we saw Seb pull out such a big gap in Aus Quali? Any reason we're gonna see the same in Malay?

If not anything else he made the time gaps super hard to read last time round. Almost everybody else was +1.xxx, and everytime I saw that I thought "What? That slow?" and then "Oh... It's just Vettel's super fast" :lol: :lol:

raymondu999

To be fair F1 is a relative sport. If there's someone faster than you, that means you're slower. HRT in isolation is probably a fast car.

There wasn't any weird incidents if that's what you mean. That was a pure pace differential. Sepang is an even longer lap, so that would mean longer gaps (x% of a bigger laptime is also bigger). Also, the fast corners of Sepang could mean that RB pull out an even bigger percentage.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

beelsebob
beelsebob

raymondu999 wrote:To be fair F1 is a relative sport. If there's someone faster than you, that means you're slower. HRT in isolation is probably a fast car.
Not really, no – it's slower than a GP2 car.

raymondu999

You're missing the point. In "ISOLATION" it's fast. A GP2 is very fast. Try lapping Albert Park in a road car, and then in an HRT. The HRT is well fast. it's just slower than the rest.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Mchamilton
Mchamilton

vettels advantage was 0.778s over lewis hamilton in qualifying, at the same track last year, red bull were only 0.229s ahead of the best of of the rest. that means at albert park the red bulls gap has increased by 340% , imagine what the advantage is going to be at somewhere like malaysia, catalunya or hungary.. im afraid i think red bull will mop the floor with everyone here no matter what mclaren bring, unless of couse its a flexible front wing ;)

Mchamilton
Mchamilton

high-on-octane wrote:
Pit Straight.

Source: http://adamcooperf1.com/2011/03/29/fia- ... aysian-gp/
that would be a stupid place, the first corner at malaysia is not a good place to overtake, its a decreasing radius turn which basically forms a tight chicane with turn 2.. stupid