Malaysian GP 2011 - Sepang

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
raymondu999

Re: Malaysian GP 2011 - Sepang

to be fair, did you expect them to say, "we expect we'll be slower at Sepang than we were at Melbourne"?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

horse

Ian Fergusson is predicting rain.
MALAYSIA OUTLOOK: Early forecast modelling suggests a growing % chance of showers from Fri-Sun; turning thundery by Sunday. Highs 32-34C.
"Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words." - Chuang Tzu

raymondu999

F1.com is also predicting a 24-31 celsius temperature range and T-storms. Though I love a wet race, I miss wet races, and not storm races. The last proper wet race I remember was in 2009 China. Something like that, I'd like. But I hope it won't be another 2009 Malaysia
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

shelly
shelly

raymondu999 wrote:to be fair, did you expect them to say, "we expect we'll be slower at Sepang than we were at Melbourne"?
Yes I know. But a lot of teams have reasonable elements to justify their "underperforming" in melbourne: tyre issues, setting issues, last minute parts not optimised...; and some of them will bring in updates.

So on ecould simply ask: who will climb up the order?
twitter: @armchair_aero

horse

raymondu999 wrote:But I hope it won't be another 2009 Malaysia
Yeah, it really rains in Malaysia, huh?! Unfortunately I would expect a cautious attitude from race control should it get heavy given the unknown nature of the Pirelli wets.
"Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words." - Chuang Tzu

raymondu999

shelly wrote:So on ecould simply ask: who will climb up the order?
I think by the nature of the track itself, it would favor a different car. Sepang is a more "Barcelona-like" benchmark track with straights, slow corners, and fast corners. Seems to me that Ferrari will probably bump back up and be fighting with McL for 2nd fastest car
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

HampusA

Re: Malaysian GP 2011 - Sepang International Circuit

beelsebob wrote:
raymondu999 wrote:You're missing the point. In "ISOLATION" it's fast. A GP2 is very fast. Try lapping Albert Park in a road car, and then in an HRT. The HRT is well fast. it's just slower than the rest.
In isolation, nothing is fast, because everything is simply at a benchmark. Your comment amounts to nothing more than "when put relative to a road car the HRT is fast"... well no ---, if there was a single F1 car slower than a road car there's something seriously wrong (unless that road car is a Zonda R, but we'll ignore that). The bottom line – the HRT when compared to cars of the same category is horrifically slow, and even when compared to the category below is horrifically slow. Saying "well it's faster than a road car" doesn't amount to much.
This was at one track i believe. One where mechanical grip was a bigger factor then aerodynamic grip. Monaco..

The car is "relatively" slow. But´s it´s not a slow car generally.
The truth will come out...

alelanza
alelanza

raymondu999 wrote:
shelly wrote:So on ecould simply ask: who will climb up the order?
I think by the nature of the track itself, it would favor a different car. Sepang is a more "Barcelona-like" benchmark track with straights, slow corners, and fast corners. Seems to me that Ferrari will probably bump back up and be fighting with McL for 2nd fastest car
Same here, and this is from a macca fan. In fact i wouldn't be surprised to see Mercedes and Renault fighting for 2nd spot with McLaren and Ferrari. On the other hand Macca's form in Australia surprised me as much as the next bloke, and it seems logical to expect them to be able to significantly refine their new diffuser and put themselves in a spot where RB at least won't be able to lap them hehe.
Alejandro L.

Ferraripilot

If it rains (which it probably will), I don't think we will deduce anything in regards to a further pecking order. Should be interesting!

raymondu999

I'm hoping for rain, but not a washout. I miss having a full-on wet-rain.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Whatever the weather, I expect to see the Red Bulls disappearing in to the distance. The high speed nature of most of the corners plays right in to their hands.

The only chance McLaren, Ferrari and Renault have is if they can go one less pit stop whilst being no more than 0.5-0.7s/lap slower than the RB7s. And even then it'd be pretty touch and go.

If Red Bull also bring their KERS then all bets are off...
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

CHT
CHT

Just_a_fan wrote:Whatever the weather, I expect to see the Red Bulls disappearing in to the distance. The high speed nature of most of the corners plays right in to their hands.

The only chance McLaren, Ferrari and Renault have is if they can go one less pit stop whilst being no more than 0.5-0.7s/lap slower than the RB7s. And even then it'd be pretty touch and go.

you are wrong. mclaren are closer to RBR than what you think. thats according to lewis and button

CHT
CHT

raymondu999 wrote:I'm hoping for rain, but not a washout. I miss having a full-on wet-rain.
the weather in the region is really hot and humid at the moment. its going to be extremely tough on both the cars and drivers. probably we are going to see some cars going up in smoke this weekend.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

CHT wrote:
Just_a_fan wrote:Whatever the weather, I expect to see the Red Bulls disappearing in to the distance. The high speed nature of most of the corners plays right in to their hands.

you are wrong. mclaren are closer to RBR than what you think. thats according to lewis and button
For the sake of the quality of the race, at least, I hope you're/they're right. I suppose if the RBs do disappear leaving the others to fight for 3rd place we should still have a good race - provided the TV director doesn't just show the RBs trawling around on their own...
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

WhiteBlue

The odds are good for Vettel

I'll keep my fingers crossed that the race pans out according to the odds.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)