Malaysian GP 2011 - Sepang

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
andartop
andartop

Re: Malaysian GP 2011 - Sepang

I'm sure it goes deeper than that. It is very likely that Ferrari were behind Lewis' tires going off as they did. Probably they have a secret deal with Pirelli. I read it somewhere on an internet forum. The plan was to slow down Lewis so that Alonso could catch him up, then for Alonso to only pretend that he was trying to overtake but without activating his DRS, so as to justify being unable to overtake, and as soon as Lewis started his weaving Alonso would shadow him exactly as Petrov did last year, then Ferrari would file a complain to Charlie Whiting and get Lewis penalised for all the weaving, as he had already been reprimanded last year, so that they would achieve both Alonso getting in front of Lewis and Lewis dropping even further behind and scoring even less points, HAHAHA! Then, as soon as Lewis was out of the way, Alonso would be able to reactivate his DRS and catch up with Button, he wouldn't just use it in the designated area but throughout the whole lap, as Ferrari would claim all of Lewis's wee-he-he-eaving had caused their DRS system to malfunction, initially being stuck closed and then getting stuck open, and it wouldn't have been their fault but Lewis's, OOOH, that Lewis Lewis Lewis, how we all tifosi hate him, he stoles it from us, he tooks it from us, our precious, poor Felipe 2008 Champion for 30 seconds, anyway, that Lewis is pretty much about it. Lewis.

Seriously though, what happens if someone's DRS gets stuck open? Does he have to retire? Does he receive a penalty?
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. H.P.Lovecraft

piast9
piast9

andartop wrote:Seriously though, what happens if someone's DRS gets stuck open? Does he have to retire? Does he receive a penalty?
I doubt that DRS stuck open was an advantage. Otherwise the car would be just set up with less rear wing.

andartop
andartop

Sure, but still, what happens? According to the rules they can only use it in the designated area. Does the driver get black flagged?
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. H.P.Lovecraft

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

andartop wrote: Seriously though, what happens if someone's DRS gets stuck open? Does he have to retire? Does he receive a penalty?
He'd go spearing off backwards at the next fast corner. Seriously, did you see Sutil in Oz when he tried to get greedy with the DRS on the last corner?

It's said that activating the DRS shifts the CoP forwards by 20+%. This would make the car undriveable in fast corners.

If he didn't crash, he'd have to retire because he'd be several seconds (tens of seconds even?) slower than the rest.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

andartop
andartop

Ok, say he didn't crash and was indeed 10 sec slower than everyone else. What I'm asking is, does anyone know if the regulations predict anything about it?

Ray

That was a good race. I enjoyed seeing Petrov try and do an Evel Knievel impression. Surprised he could walk after that!

andrew
andrew
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland - WhiteBlue Country (not the region)

^ Yeah, but he now walks like John Wayne and sounds like a Bee Gee.

Seriously though, how on earth did he walk away without an injury?

Ray

If you watch a slo-mo replay it appears that the top part of his visor is even with the cockpit opening at max compression. Has Renault said whether or not any part of that car can be reused? I imagine the motor and trans is junk after that much stress.

Caito
Caito

raymondu999 wrote:Anyone know if there's a place where I can see the pole lap for this race?

F1.com as soon as they upload it.
Come back 747, we miss you!!

raymondu999

Caito wrote:F1.com as soon as they upload it.
F1.com doesn't necessarily upload the POLE lap.
andartop wrote:Seriously though, what happens if someone's DRS gets stuck open? Does he have to retire? Does he receive a penalty?
The system is designed to be fail safe. Should the system fail it will default to the closed position, with the drag from the air pushing it down.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

volarchico
volarchico

Yet we've already heard cases where this "fail safe" hasn't worked, with the DRS getting stuck open. It's still a mechanical device which can get jammed or stuck!

CHT
CHT

Here is a video I took from turn 7 and 8..

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__za_Uf-0ic[/youtube]

beelsebob
beelsebob

CHT wrote:Here is a video I took from turn 7 and 8..

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__za_Uf-0ic[youtube]
That really highlights just how much the BBC filter audio at Grand Prix – your video makes it much more clear how fricking amazingly loud a GP is.

Ashley
Ashley

Has someone got the video of lewis overtaking buemi and schumacher at the end of the straight???

FW17

Having seen this image it is clear that the track is way too wide. This made for an unreal start for Nike Heidfeld and others

Should FIA now revise their regulations for track design