Mike Coughlan joins Williams after Stepneygate sentence

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
bot6
bot6

Re: Coughlan

Andrew -> I really do believe the car is illegal, as discussed in the bendy wing thread. And I think one of the the reasons for the monumental FIA legal cockup of Whiting, the stewards and the FIA rulebook all saying different things could very well be a voluntary decision to try to doctor the results to help build the F1 brand.
And I do think it's for the same reason they spared double world champion Alonso in the Spygate and Crashgate affairs. They felt the brand has been weakened since Schumi's first retirement and were trying to build a new star driver to take his place. And now it's possible (I'm not saying it's certain, I'm saying it's possible) they are doing that with Vettel.

marcush.
marcush.

Coughlan is a former right hand (read wingman or rear gunner)of Barnard so I´d think he is or at least was a good one.
and he´s coming back from Nascar ...so he got his views a bit broadened and new perspectives to racing which is alweays a good thing.

Tomlinson and Michaels wouldn´t those two make a perfect fit for Virgin?..just an idea...

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

marcush. wrote:Tomlinson and Michaels wouldn´t those two make a perfect fit for Virgin?..just an idea...
As i said here: viewtopic.php?p=247362&f=1#p247362

Mod, an idea; merge both threads and have a new title like "Williams Technichal Team Changes 2011/2012"

axle
axle

JohnsonsEvilTwin wrote:Point is the guy is still tainted.

If a "fit and proper persons" test was to be implemented in F1, where would we stand?
And are Briatore and Symmonds now also like to reappear in some or other capacity as has been mooted?

This whole thing reeks of desperation on Williams behalf. Never really liked Williams all that much and have reason to now dislike them, sadly.
The new teams could have given this guy a role, but none dared. Seems Williams didnt think better of that....
When is someone punished enough? When you get caught speeding do you want that on your record forever? Never being allowed to move on?

If you have an issue with the punishment then that's different...but he's accepted and completed his ban (and been out in the cold longer than that) and should now be allowed to continue with his work.

The Redbull isn't illegal - it's clever - bad losers are people that can't accept that.

Stepney was p155ed off with Ferrari on a personal level, that's why he started offering information. MC was dumb enough to accept it and use it. He won't do it again and he will be VERY determined to prove his own talents...if his desire is great enough he could do great things for Williams.
- Axle

JohnsonsEvilTwin

Pup wrote:
I wonder though how much of his 'talent' at McLaren came from info received from Stepney - and vice-versa, since I have always found it hard to believe that the info was only flowing one way.
I meant tainted... Not "talented" :D
More could have been done.
David Purley

Pandamasque

The title should have been *cough*lan

Pup
Pup

JohnsonsEvilTwin wrote:
Pup wrote:
I wonder though how much of his 'talent' at McLaren came from info received from Stepney - and vice-versa, since I have always found it hard to believe that the info was only flowing one way.
I meant tainted... Not "talented" :D
Well, I write better than I read. I think. :lol:

sticky667
sticky667

If a "fit and proper persons" test was to be implemented in F1, where would we stand?
And are Briatore and Symmonds now also like to reappear in some or other capacity as has been mooted?

This whole thing reeks of desperation on Williams behalf. Never really liked Williams all that much and have reason to now dislike them, sadly.
The new teams could have given this guy a role, but none dared. Seems Williams didnt think better of that....
Symmonds is already in a "consultancy role" at Marussia Virgin

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/90915p

feynman
feynman

If you wanted a way to drain the last few dregs of sympathy anyone may have had for Williams F1 and their travails, this stunt sounds just about custom built.

It's not about 'he's done his time', it's about character, integrity and honesty, and who you as a team choose to associate with, and how you look to carry yourself.
Yes, teams can choose to employ guys like Coughlan, or Symonds, or Briatore, but they shouldn't kid themselves, shouldn't be under any illusions, that we'll all hold our noses and try to look the other way while they do it.

It really has desperation written all over it. Was this guy the best they could get, the best they could afford, was this guy the best that wanted to sign-up to a faded team in slow but inexorable decline ... tragically, I think it probably might have been.

Mr Alcatraz

!

bot6 wrote:Let's not forget F1 is a business first
Wrong, it is a competition first.
The business, and P.R. end of the series is corrupt as $hit however!
Those who believe in telekinetics raise my hand

Dragonfly
Dragonfly

Some people behave like real fundamentalists.
Mike got caught, served his punishment, let's move on. Think about how many passed uncaught. He, Stepney and Flavio are not the only ones who went beyond the acceptable.

BTW I think that Stepney has the talent to build and lead a team that ticks like a clockwork.
F1PitRadio ‏@F1PitRadio : MSC, "Sorry guys, there's not more in it"
Spa 2012

bot6
bot6

Re: !

Tazio wrote:
bot6 wrote:Let's not forget F1 is a business first
Wrong, it is a competition first.
The business, and P.R. end of the series is corrupt as $hit however!
Nowadays, it's a business first and a competition a distant second.

That's the way it is now. Whether that's the way it should be is another story, and my personal inclination would be no.

JohnsonsEvilTwin

Dragonfly wrote:Some people behave like real fundamentalists.
Mike got caught, served his punishment, let's move on. Think about how many passed uncaught. He, Stepney and Flavio are not the only ones who went beyond the acceptable.
Behave like fundamentalists? For having a modicum of ethics and morals?
Come off it Dragonfly, the guy knowingly took a rivals technical details without telling his superiors. Technical details are sacrosanct in F1, and any attempt to pass on or recieve said details should be dealt with brutally.

The inference the moment a Williams resembles a rival will be all too clear with Coughlan at the helm. What I would suggest is that he moves on to pastures new, Indy Nascar or some other series or walk of life that could make use of his skill set.

It may be harsh, but it sets a precedent. Anyone who transgresses should no longer be welcome.
David Purley

marcush.
marcush.

the guy is coming back from NASCAR ,JET...
I think the offense was typical and not new at all .some ex Ferrari guys went to Toyota and gave them information to build their first decent car but got sentenced with 1 or two years in jail for this ..so Coughlan was not imprisioned but he was a bit more exposed ....I don´t think many peoiple in F1 have the right to point fingers....

JohnsonsEvilTwin

Of course F1 isn't whiter than white Marcush.

But think of the precedent it sets. Engineers can pass on info to each other, only to get a 2 year ban and be back in business once the ban is up....IF they get caught.
As I said this isnt about Coughlan/Symmonds et al returning, this is about the precedent it sets.

The bar has just been lowered very dramatically in F1.
David Purley