Schumacher's record at Benetton

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
snoop1050
snoop1050

Schumacher's record at Benetton

FoxHound wrote:You are using qualifying as a barometer. Surely as a member of this site, you should know the difference between qualifying and race pace?
Beelsebobs statistic brings that into clear focus. You can deny that if you like, but intrinsically, Schumacher had a car capable of winning... Along with some of the best strategists the sport has seen.
I won't take away from his achievement, but to intimate he drove a far inferior car to back to back wdc's is plain wrong I feel.
surely you should realise the regulations during the 90s meant qualifying pace actually represented the cars actual pace.

or maybe you dont realise and think the rules were the same as now...

lillschumi
lillschumi

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 Team 2012

Really good quality of analysis, just looking at quali stats and making the conclusion a car is inferior or not.

94 Benetton was definitly a supreme car. V8=less fuel, V10 more fuel. Imaging where the weight would be benificial and when it has least impact, then you understand why the Williams qualified better.
Last edited by lillschumi on 26 Sep 2012, 21:50, edited 1 time in total.

FoxHound

snoop1050 wrote:
FoxHound wrote:You are using qualifying as a barometer. Surely as a member of this site, you should know the difference between qualifying and race pace?
Beelsebobs statistic brings that into clear focus. You can deny that if you like, but intrinsically, Schumacher had a car capable of winning... Along with some of the best strategists the sport has seen.
I won't take away from his achievement, but to intimate he drove a far inferior car to back to back wdc's is plain wrong I feel.
surely you should realise the regulations during the 90s meant qualifying pace actually represented the cars actual pace.

or maybe you dont realise and think the rules were the same as now...
I'm fully aware of the changes. But you are assuming a car that is fast in qualifying compared to a car that is almost as fast, will retain all it's advantages from its qualifying pace, into that of its race pace. And this is critical that you understand... Williams was hit hard by the active suspension ban. It could make its car supreme over a lap, but over race distance it could be a nightmare.
JET set

Dragonfly
Dragonfly

lillschumi wrote:Really good quality of analysis, just looking at quali stats and making the conclusion a car is inferior or not.

94 Benetton was definitly a supreme car. V8=less fuel, V10 more fuel. Imaging where the weight would be benificial and when it has least impact, then you understand why the Williams qualified better.
Why then for the next year Benneton went for the same Renault engine?
F1PitRadio ‏@F1PitRadio : MSC, "Sorry guys, there's not more in it"
Spa 2012

Richard
Richard

snoop1050 wrote:seriously i dont know why i bother with forums anymore..

after drinking a bottle of vokda ive came to the conclusion the benneton was the most dominant car f1 has ever saw during 94-95 and coulthard and hill are superior drivers to schumacher and senna
I agree, you've summed up the futility of drivers comparisons, they have an inevitable whiff of fanboyism.

Perhaps driver x is better than driver y if you squint hard enough and stand on one leg on a moonlit night with Aires in ascendancy while a swallow flies south.

Of course it depends on whether it is an African or European swallow. If we knew that then we might find the answer.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2R3FvS4xr4[/youtube]

Thread closed.