Schumacher ski accident, coma and recovery

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
CHT
CHT

Schumacher ski accident, coma and recovery

Last edited by Steven on 16 Jun 2014, 12:39, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Updated thread title

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

Re: Schumacher suffer serious head injury?

reminds me of his motocycle accident. hope he's allright tho.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Gridlock

Schumacher était conscient et son état n'inspire pas d'inquiétude.

http://rmcsport.bfmtv.com/info/557773/s ... a-meribel/

IE conscious and not causing concern, although it's early days as far as a new stories go.

Absolutelee
Absolutelee

I do hope he's ok, but I find this title misleading. The article said he was wearing a helmet, he did not lose consciousness, and emergency services brought him in for few scans. It seems a bit doom and gloom to title those details as SERIOUS HEAD INJURY!!!!!!!

Tommy Cookers
Tommy Cookers

edited
Last edited by Tommy Cookers on 29 Dec 2013, 23:20, edited 2 times in total.

Gridlock

The head of the Méribel ski resort, where Schumacher was skiing with his 14-year-old son, told Radio Monte Carlo that 44-year-old Schumacher was taken to hospital by helicopter after falling and striking his head on a rock at 11.07am local time.

Christophe Gernigon-Lecomte said rescuers reached him eight minutes later. "He was in shock, somewhat agitated, but conscious" when he was taken to the nearest hospital at Moûtiers, said Gernignon-Lecomte.

He was moved shortly afterwards to Grenoble hospital. The Dauphiné Libéré newspaper reported that he was suffering from a "severe brain trauma" but that his injuries were "not life threatening".

Authorities said he was wearing a helmet when skiing close to one of the resort's most difficult pistes, reserved for the world's most accomplished skiers.

The former Formula 1 champion fell while off piste under la Dent de Burgin, located between the extremely difficult pistes of La Biche and Mauduit. The latter is named after the former French skiing champion Georges Mauduit.

Grenoble hospital said it would issue a statement shortly about Schumacher's condition.
http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2013/d ... ing-france

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYBHHe82jHs - slope in question, I believe.

Get well soon Weltmeister...

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

Tommy Cookers wrote:that's where official road casualty statistics come from - the self-perpetuating Doom and Gloom Industry aka officialdom
about half of 'serious injuries' on the road are created by these 'precautionary' actions that did not happen even 30 years ago

the same industry is now massaging statistics to tell us that over 100000 die annually from EU air pollution (diesel trucks really)
but they can never find one such actual person who died this way
they say they die due to the RESULTS of air pollution. fine dust for example. there is a difference in instant local death and the long-term results of being exposed and inhaling damaging 'materials'. Asbestos for example has claimed enough lives.
People don't die from touching asbestos, people die from the [long term] results of exposement to materials as such.
and yes, that is the truth.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

bdr529

Absolutelee wrote:I do hope he's ok, but I find this title misleading. The article said he was wearing a helmet, he did not lose consciousness, and emergency services brought him in for few scans. It seems a bit doom and gloom to title those details as SERIOUS HEAD INJURY!!!!!!!
I thought the same thing, a little over the top, but this seems to be the new style of headline in the media, say whatever you want as long as you end it with a question mark it's ok "?"

dren

Well there have been people who were fine after a head injury skiing and then died when the fluid filled the brain and squished it. It's a good thing he had a helmet on and went to the doctor even if he was perfectly concious.
Honda!

beelsebob
beelsebob

Absolutelee wrote:I do hope he's ok, but I find this title misleading. The article said he was wearing a helmet, he did not lose consciousness, and emergency services brought him in for few scans. It seems a bit doom and gloom to title those details as SERIOUS HEAD INJURY!!!!!!!
He was in medical shock, that absolutely *is* a serious injury. Shock is a life threatening condition unless properly treated, quickly. Thankfully, that appears to have happened :).

Gridlock

If your ride to hospital involved jet fuel then you had a serious accident, end of discussion.

Here's hoping it causes no long-term issues, no matter what happened.

Racingf1
Racingf1

According to this newspaper http://www.ledauphine.com/savoie/2013/1 ... ent-de-ski Michael's condition is not as clear as we all expect to be.

The health status of the driver has deteriorated and his condition is now engaged, according to our information.

This information makes me feel really worried about Michael. I hope this is a wrong information given the lack of information or the desire to know constantly about his condition.

Michael, get soon well!

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

BBC doing a "career in pictures" article as if he's died or something, a little insensitive!

ScottB
ScottB

Even with a helmet on he could have hit his head hard, more than hard enough to do serious damage, it's not like wearing a helmet is guaranteed protection, it's just a lot safer than not!

In any case, hope he's alright.

Gridlock

Couple of places reported he was agitated afterwards, which can be an indicator of brain trauma. Looks like we'll be waiting to find out though.

The worst piece of news I saw was that this happened:
James Allen said: "The injury is serious, but not life threatening."
Edit: Levity aside,