Schumacher ski accident, coma and recovery

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.

Post Sun Dec 29, 2013 2:10 pm

Last edited by Steven on Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:39 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Updated thread title
CHT

Post Sun Dec 29, 2013 2:12 pm

reminds me of his motocycle accident. hope he's allright tho.
Manoah2u

Post Sun Dec 29, 2013 2:14 pm

Schumacher était conscient et son état n'inspire pas d'inquiétude.

http://rmcsport.bfmtv.com/info/557773/s ... a-meribel/

IE conscious and not causing concern, although it's early days as far as a new stories go.
Gridlock

Post Sun Dec 29, 2013 2:58 pm

I do hope he's ok, but I find this title misleading. The article said he was wearing a helmet, he did not lose consciousness, and emergency services brought him in for few scans. It seems a bit doom and gloom to title those details as SERIOUS HEAD INJURY!!!!!!!
Absolutelee

Post Sun Dec 29, 2013 3:27 pm

edited
Last edited by Tommy Cookers on Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Tommy Cookers

Post Sun Dec 29, 2013 3:34 pm

The head of the Méribel ski resort, where Schumacher was skiing with his 14-year-old son, told Radio Monte Carlo that 44-year-old Schumacher was taken to hospital by helicopter after falling and striking his head on a rock at 11.07am local time.

Christophe Gernigon-Lecomte said rescuers reached him eight minutes later. "He was in shock, somewhat agitated, but conscious" when he was taken to the nearest hospital at Moûtiers, said Gernignon-Lecomte.

He was moved shortly afterwards to Grenoble hospital. The Dauphiné Libéré newspaper reported that he was suffering from a "severe brain trauma" but that his injuries were "not life threatening".

Authorities said he was wearing a helmet when skiing close to one of the resort's most difficult pistes, reserved for the world's most accomplished skiers.

The former Formula 1 champion fell while off piste under la Dent de Burgin, located between the extremely difficult pistes of La Biche and Mauduit. The latter is named after the former French skiing champion Georges Mauduit.

Grenoble hospital said it would issue a statement shortly about Schumacher's condition.

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2013/d ... ing-france

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYBHHe82jHs - slope in question, I believe.

Get well soon Weltmeister...
Gridlock

Post Sun Dec 29, 2013 4:40 pm

Tommy Cookers wrote:that's where official road casualty statistics come from - the self-perpetuating Doom and Gloom Industry aka officialdom
about half of 'serious injuries' on the road are created by these 'precautionary' actions that did not happen even 30 years ago

the same industry is now massaging statistics to tell us that over 100000 die annually from EU air pollution (diesel trucks really)
but they can never find one such actual person who died this way

they say they die due to the RESULTS of air pollution. fine dust for example. there is a difference in instant local death and the long-term results of being exposed and inhaling damaging 'materials'. Asbestos for example has claimed enough lives.
People don't die from touching asbestos, people die from the [long term] results of exposement to materials as such.
and yes, that is the truth.
Manoah2u

Post Sun Dec 29, 2013 5:11 pm

Absolutelee wrote:I do hope he's ok, but I find this title misleading. The article said he was wearing a helmet, he did not lose consciousness, and emergency services brought him in for few scans. It seems a bit doom and gloom to title those details as SERIOUS HEAD INJURY!!!!!!!

I thought the same thing, a little over the top, but this seems to be the new style of headline in the media, say whatever you want as long as you end it with a question mark it's ok "?"
bdr529

Post Sun Dec 29, 2013 6:12 pm

Well there have been people who were fine after a head injury skiing and then died when the fluid filled the brain and squished it. It's a good thing he had a helmet on and went to the doctor even if he was perfectly concious.
Honda!
dren

Post Sun Dec 29, 2013 6:52 pm

Absolutelee wrote:I do hope he's ok, but I find this title misleading. The article said he was wearing a helmet, he did not lose consciousness, and emergency services brought him in for few scans. It seems a bit doom and gloom to title those details as SERIOUS HEAD INJURY!!!!!!!

He was in medical shock, that absolutely *is* a serious injury. Shock is a life threatening condition unless properly treated, quickly. Thankfully, that appears to have happened :).
beelsebob

Post Sun Dec 29, 2013 7:10 pm

If your ride to hospital involved jet fuel then you had a serious accident, end of discussion.

Here's hoping it causes no long-term issues, no matter what happened.
Gridlock

Post Sun Dec 29, 2013 7:46 pm

According to this newspaper http://www.ledauphine.com/savoie/2013/12/29/meribel-michael-schumacher-victime-d-un-accident-de-ski Michael's condition is not as clear as we all expect to be.

The health status of the driver has deteriorated and his condition is now engaged, according to our information.

This information makes me feel really worried about Michael. I hope this is a wrong information given the lack of information or the desire to know constantly about his condition.

Michael, get soon well!
Racingf1

Post Sun Dec 29, 2013 7:59 pm

BBC doing a "career in pictures" article as if he's died or something, a little insensitive!
"Unbelievable how silly this Formula 1 is these days, with this stupid overtakes."
—Sebastian Vettel, 2012 US GP
Diesel

Post Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:05 pm

Even with a helmet on he could have hit his head hard, more than hard enough to do serious damage, it's not like wearing a helmet is guaranteed protection, it's just a lot safer than not!

In any case, hope he's alright.
ScottB

Post Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:26 pm

Couple of places reported he was agitated afterwards, which can be an indicator of brain trauma. Looks like we'll be waiting to find out though.

The worst piece of news I saw was that this happened:
James Allen said: "The injury is serious, but not life threatening."

Edit: Levity aside,

Gridlock

Next

Return to General chat