Schumacher ski accident, coma and recovery

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Cold Fussion
Cold Fussion

Re: Schumacher suffers head injury in ski accident

Shakeman wrote:
Cold Fussion wrote:
clipsy1H wrote: Your comment is a joke or what?

Do you have any idea about how can a person mean for someone? even in a vegetative condition? So if your wife have a car accident and she gets in a vegetative condition... you'll leave her just because is hard?
I would say it's selfish to expect that your partner will be with you to the very end if you wind up in a vegetative state. I think it's probably best we leave the mail articles out of this forum, they aren't a valid source of information.
I agree on both counts, the press are not in the business of truth and certainly won't let the facts get in the way of a good story.
It's not a press problem, it's a mail problem. If the WSJ, Reuters or BBC printed something, I'm inclined to believe it. The mail on the other hand, is a business dealing with sensationalism and not journalism.

ringo

They have enough money to wait for a good while before any of them can come to their own self centred decision whether to end his life. In fact it's his own money keeping him alive. So i don't think any family member has the excuse of financial burden or distress as a reason to pull the plug on him.
I say once he has life, he should live until his own body fails him or he choses for himself. Life is life in my opinion, there's nothing else in the world like it. And i don't think we make good judges on quality of life because "quality" is very relative.
I'd be quite content as a fan if he's alive to live out his years, as long as he has some consciousness and can communicate.

Would you pull the plug on this guy?

Interesting isn't it?
For Sure!!

GitanesBlondes

clipsy1H wrote:
GitanesBlondes wrote:Frankly I find the whole situation with Michael to be selfish.

At the mention of this news, predictably, the comments from fans have been such, that they all want to see him come out of the coma...and that they hope he keeps fighting. Virtually everything I've seen indicates the majority of people want him to come out of it.

Where the selfishness enters into the whole thing, is that that everyone wants to see him regain full-consciousness so they can "have him back". Except, as always the great equalizer is that one does not know what sort of shape he will be in if, or when he comes out.

Will there be significant brain damage from the entire event that renders him nothing more than a drooling vegetable?

If it is a situation where he doesn't resemble what he was prior to the accident, then one could argue a strong case that he may have been better off passing away. But, the people (fans, media, whomever else) are incredibly selfish, because if it turns out he comes out of the coma with irreversible brain damage, then they will just forget about it....and it is easy to hope for him to come out when you're not the one who has to live with it on a daily basis (wife and children).

Be careful of what you wish for with this sort of thing.
Your comment is a joke or what?

Do you have any idea about how can a person mean for someone? even in a vegetative condition? So if your wife have a car accident and she gets in a vegetative condition... you'll leave her just because is hard?

We want Michael back because we love him no matter what. We aren't God to decide what to do with someone life and as long as there is hope we have to fight. Do you know how many ppls wants their relatives back? even with brain damages?

Check this:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... rgans.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/artic ... onths.html
Cherry-picking to try and prove your point is laughable.

You summed up exactly the point I was making with your "we're not God" comment. The living have difficulty letting go. If my wife were in a car accident and in a permanent vegetative state, I would let go. I'm not going to keep someone alive for purely selfish reasons, which is exactly what it is. It's about the quality of life, and if someone has none, keeping them alive for what amounts to nothing more than a form of amusement is despicable. Stop acting like it is for noble, or even altruistic reasons, because it's not. It's about what the most humane option is for the patient, not you, not the family, and not anyone else.

Like I said, since no one here would have to take care of him, it's easy to hope he wakes up. No risk involved on your, or anyone else's part.
"I don't want to make friends with anybody. I don't give a sh*t for fame. I just want to win." -Nelson Piquet

timbo
timbo

GitanesBlondes wrote:It's about what the most humane option is for the patient, not you, not the family, and not anyone else.
It is not. I'm not talking the other option is better. There is no better in general. It's up to ones who a personally dealing with it.

Shakeman

ringo wrote:They have enough money to wait for a good while before any of them can come to their own self centred decision whether to end his life. In fact it's his own money keeping him alive. So i don't think any family member has the excuse of financial burden or distress as a reason to pull the plug on him.
I say once he has life, he should live until his own body fails him or he choses for himself. Life is life in my opinion, there's nothing else in the world like it. And i don't think we make good judges on quality of life because "quality" is very relative.
I'd be quite content as a fan if he's alive to live out his years, as long as he has some consciousness and can communicate.

Would you pull the plug on this guy?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nHlSKEQ9kw

Interesting isn't it?
He's not in a vegetative state he has locked in syndrome which is different. He's still in there.

timbo
timbo

Shakeman wrote:He's not in a vegetative state he has locked in syndrome which is different. He's still in there.
There is ongoin research of brain activity in V.S. and there are positive results published, e.g.
http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/270404.php

bhall
bhall

oT v1
oT v1

bhall wrote:Just throwin' this out there.

[url]https://twitter.com/tanujlakhina/status ... 352448[url]
Strange its not on BBC yet if it was said to RTL, here's hoping!!

[-o<
The Power of Dreams

Kiril Varbanov

I was riding the excitement wave as well (warned it's not official), even emailed Sabine to confirm. Got no reply, but:
https://twitter.com/NicolaBILD/status/4 ... 6765123584

Shakeman

What you are seeing, I think, is the press fishing and creating a wave of speculation that eventually draws a statement out of the Schumacher spokespeople. It's a well worn tactic, the media then start reporting on the reports of speculation and it all creates its own momentum.

We had some glimmers of good news but it's all gone quiet again so press now moving to speculation mode again. Rinse, repeat.

Shakeman

timbo wrote:
Shakeman wrote:He's not in a vegetative state he has locked in syndrome which is different. He's still in there.
There is ongoin research of brain activity in V.S. and there are positive results published, e.g.
I think there are vegetative states that the patient can "recognise" family yet not have the capacity to comprehend anything else. Is the person there? A plant will follow sun light but no one is at home.

What brain activity constitutes a person in these borderline cases? Difficult one.

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

Shakeman wrote:
timbo wrote:
I think there are vegetative states that the patient can "recognise" family yet not have the capacity to comprehend anything else. Is the person there? A plant will follow sun light but no one is at home.

What brain activity constitutes a person in these borderline cases? Difficult one.
have you looked the video posted above? if it weren't for the 'breakthrough' communication, people would've assumed he's blank and empty and not thinking at all. The video shows that, in this case atleast, that's incorrect, the person is able to think and communicate. you could thus say he is actually 'awake', but the body is not responding to his mind the way it should.

for all that matters, schumacher may be thinking, hell, in a certain manner, his mind may be active, but his body is not working with it the way it should.

So comparing the speculation about schumacher responding to his wife as compared to a flower to the sun is a tad disrespectfull and in no comparison at all, honestly. The fact schumacher responds to his wife shows that he actually HAS a certain level of 'awareness'.
A plant has no awareness. you could call it a 'mechanical' response. Chemical response, when rays of the sun or heat from the sun hit the flower and it reacts to it.
Schumacher following his wife is not a 'mechanical' response. it's a mental response, and that's what's most important.

but anyway........let's wait and see if there is any truth to all this.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

rich1701
rich1701

There is a procedure where a patient is placed into a CT scanner and then asked a series of questions. They are asked to imagine playing tennis to say 'yes' and imagine running to say 'no'. Both of these thought processes light up different areas of the brain to indicate different responses and thus the patients ability to understand questions. This method is being used on patients who show no response to stimuli at all by conventional means and unfortunately there are cases where seemingly vegetative patients have responded in this way.
Thankfully it seems Schumacher is a bit beyond this stage, but living with locked in syndrome is not living at all. It sincerely hope that isn't true.

Bluesky1
Bluesky1

If he has lock in syndrome, this means that he fully understands what is going on in his surroundings, but he cannot speak or make any movements.
It is a very misfortunate situation for him and his family.
I wish them all the best.

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

SCHUMACHER AWAKE - OUT OF COMA!! :D

http://www.gpupdate.net/en/f1-news/3121 ... in-a-coma/

Seven-time Formula 1 World Champion, Michael Schumacher is out of his coma and recognised his wife according to several media sources.

The 45 year-old suffered a severe brain haemorrhage after a skiing accident in the French Alps of Meribel and was placed into an artificial coma in December last year to reduce swelling on his brain and pressure on his skull.

He was initially listed as in a 'critical' condition, but after several operations by Doctors in the Grenoble hospital his condition improved to 'critical but stable'. Since then, the German has shown steady signs of improvement such as being able to breathe unassisted and has also briefly shown signs of consciousness.

Despite a lack of media attention at his wife's request, news on Michael has been regular and informative with the latest reports suggesting that the former Jordan, Benetton, Ferrari and Mercedes driver has claimed his biggest victory to date.

According to one source, Schumacher had awoken from his coma and is talking to his wife, Corinna.
10:46 – Michael Schumacher's manager, Sabine Kehm, has confirmed that the seven-time Formula 1 World Champion is no longer in a coma, and has left the Grenoble Hospital "to continue his long phase of rehabilitation".
=D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =P~ =P~ =P~ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :) :) :) :) :) :-P :-P :-P :-P :-P :!: :!:

Welcome back, Schumi! :D
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"