What can be done to make the engine louder?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Oridori
Oridori

Re: What can be done to make the engine louder?

Here's another picture (found on motorsportpics.lu)

Kiril Varbanov

richard_leeds wrote:
grrr... surely a professional journalist should know how to use an apostrophe? Oh, it's Sky.

An apostrophe is not possessive when used with "its".

"W05 and it's trumpet" = The W05 is a trumpet
"W05 and its trumpet" = The W05 has a trumpet
I get annoyed by that as well - common mistake, especially since non-natives like me have flooded the Internet.
The other thing that's very much mistaken - your vs. you're ... etc. Too much auto-correct on a phone|tablet?

I'm not thrilled by the concept of the new exhaust (THE VUVUZELA EXHAUST PROJECT!). Nor as it seems, sound louder. There are reports that Lotus' new engine map sounded better than the trialed exhaust.

Holm86

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W05

Holm86

http://www.mobypicture.com/user/piusgas ... w/16896640 <-- sound of the new megaphone exhaust.

Holm86

mrluke wrote:
Holm86 wrote:And I don't see how a taper on the exhaust pipe like a megaphone would increase sound volume either.
I cant think of a good reason for it not to work? Admittedly i'm not sure how effective it would be.
https://twitter.com/RachelBrookesTV/sta ... 8972151808

stefan_
stefan_

You know, as a sport, that you are in some deep s**t if you resort to this kind of things...

Just saying.
"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

Rikhart
Rikhart

I think they should just stop trying to artificially revert the sound change, just accept the change, and move on...

bhall
bhall

Holm86 wrote:http://www.mobypicture.com/user/piusgas ... w/16896640 <-- sound of the new megaphone exhaust.
LOL

It sounds like a semi-truck (lorry).

idfx

stefan_ wrote:You know, as a sport, that you are in some deep s**t if you resort to this kind of things...

Just saying.
totally agree . is worse than imagined
----------

prince
prince

stefan_ wrote:Barcelona Testing 2014 - Day 2 (Wednesday, 14.05.2014)
Could it have been better that, instead of adding a megaphone as an extension, if the megaphone was ending slightly before where current exhaust is ending. Hidden in the bodywork? That would have allowed the monkey seat to be in its position and not removed.

Sorry for the poor image. That's all I can design. =P~
Last edited by prince on 14 May 2014, 14:34, edited 1 time in total.

bhall
bhall

prince wrote:Could it have been better that, instead of adding a megaphone as an extension, if the megaphone was ending slightly before where current exhaust is ending. Hidden in the bodywork? That would have allowed the monkey seat to be in its position and not removed.
I think they're trying to do this with as few modifications to the pertinent regulations as possible.

5.8.5 There must be no bodywork lying within a right circular cylinder which :

a) Shares a common axis with that of the last 150mm of the tailpipe.

b) Has a diameter 30mm greater than the tailpipe.

c) Starts at the exit of the tailpipe and extends rearwards as far as a point 600mm behind the rear wheel centre line.

Interestingly, any introduction of a megaphone exhaust will effectively ban monkey seats, because "C," above, states that no bodywork can lie directly behind the tailpipe, and the size of the megaphone renders it nearly impossible to put a monkey seat anywhere else.

prince
prince

bhall wrote:
prince wrote:Could it have been better that, instead of adding a megaphone as an extension, if the megaphone was ending slightly before where current exhaust is ending. Hidden in the bodywork? That would have allowed the monkey seat to be in its position and not removed.
I think they're trying to do this with as few modifications to the pertinent regulations as possible.

5.8.5 There must be no bodywork lying within a right circular cylinder which :

a) Shares a common axis with that of the last 150mm of the tailpipe.

b) Has a diameter 30mm greater than the tailpipe.

c) Starts at the exit of the tailpipe and extends rearwards as far as a point 600mm behind the rear wheel centre line.

Interestingly, any introduction of a megaphone exhaust will effectively ban monkey seats, because "C," above, states that no bodywork can lie directly behind the tailpipe, and the size of the megaphone renders it nearly impossible to put a monkey seat anywhere else.
If we understand correctly, they are trying increase the noise to enhance the spectacle. If so, then can't they change certain regulations to make the spectacle more aesthetic, including that of changing nose shapes too ?

sweetmate
sweetmate

Better way to fix the noise get rid of the rev limit add maybe a little more fuel to the restriction and take away one of the allotted engines for the year.

Richard
Richard

A blindingly silly answer like that megaphone is usually a sign that the question is wrong. If I saw a design like that at work I'd suspect it was an "aunt sally", ie deliberately set up so it could be knocked down. We see politicians doing that every day, they think of ridiculous scenario then use that to demolish what is otherwise a sensible debate.

The vast majority of fans (99%??) will only ever experience F1 through their TV. That's entirely within the FOM control and we've heard amateur video with better sound than the FOM feed. So why does FOM give us such a muted experience? Probably for the same reason that Merc are messing with a megaphone.

IMHO Accept the engines are different, so stop trying to make them sound like the old engines. It's like complaining that horseless carriages don't have a clip-clop sound.

bhall
bhall

prince wrote:If we understand correctly, they are trying increase the noise to enhance the spectacle. If so, then can't they change certain regulations to make the spectacle more aesthetic, including that of changing nose shapes too ?
Sure. I think the regulations have reflected aesthetic desires for quite some time. Neither open wheels nor an open cockpit are ideal from a design standpoint, but both are required because that's what people think F1 cars should look like.

An artificial exhaust note might be one step too far. But, really, nothing in F1 surprises me anymore.