F1 2016 pre-season testing

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
GoranF1
181
Joined: Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:53 am

Re: F1 2016 pre-season testing

Post by GoranF1 » Thu Mar 10, 2016 1:59 am

"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

flickerf1
10
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:52 pm

Re: F1 2016 pre-season testing

Post by flickerf1 » Thu Mar 10, 2016 2:12 am

Thank you for posting!
The Wicked + The Divine.

krisfx
28
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:07 pm

Re: F1 2016 pre-season testing

Post by krisfx » Thu Mar 10, 2016 7:47 am

ME4ME wrote:
Big Mangalhit wrote:
krisfx wrote:
Maldonado was also a GP2 champion....
And became a GP winner without being in a Top car
After which he crashed his way to fame.
In a year where the first races were decided at random based on tyres alone? - My point is, just because someone won GP2, that doesn't grant them excellent form in F1, it's a different game, as Maldo proved.

GoranF1
181
Joined: Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:53 am

Re: F1 2016 pre-season testing

Post by GoranF1 » Thu Mar 10, 2016 5:37 pm

http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/form ... 37169.html

Mercedes
Ferrari +0.0-0.4
Williams, Red Bull and Toro Rosso +0.5-0.6 to Mercedes
Haas and Force India +0.2-0.3 to Williams and co (According to Ferrari, Haas are aprox. 1 second off them)
McLaren, Renault and Sauber (McLaren could join the group of Haas and FI if the new software that brings 30horsepower works well)
Manor (could join the group of rest if the new nose and front wing work as they expect)
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

dot235
5
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:59 am

Re: F1 2016 pre-season testing

Post by dot235 » Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:00 pm

GoranF1 wrote:http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/form ... 37169.html

Mercedes
Ferrari +0.0-0.4
Williams, Red Bull and Toro Rosso +0.5-0.6 to Mercedes
Haas and Force India +0.2-0.3 to Williams and co (According to Ferrari, Haas are aprox. 1 second off them)
McLaren, Renault and Sauber (McLaren could join the group of Haas and FI if the new software that brings 30horsepower works well)
Manor (could join the group of rest if the new nose and front wing work as they expect)

You're saying it as if it was a fact.
First of all, there is no way on earth Red Bull and Toro Rosso are only 0.5sec off Mercs.

Take it with a big grain of salt. And oh, I don't speak german, so...
Last edited by dot235 on Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

GoranF1
181
Joined: Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:53 am

Re: F1 2016 pre-season testing

Post by GoranF1 » Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:29 pm

dot235 wrote:
GoranF1 wrote:http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/form ... 37169.html

Mercedes
Ferrari +0.0-0.4
Williams, Red Bull and Toro Rosso +0.5-0.6 to Mercedes
Haas and Force India +0.2-0.3 to Williams and co (According to Ferrari, Haas are aprox. 1 second off them)
McLaren, Renault and Sauber (McLaren could join the group of Haas and FI if the new software that brings 30horsepower works well)
Manor (could join the group of rest if the new nose and front wing work as they expect)
what the --- are you talking about.

You're saying it as if it was a fact.
First of all, there is no way on earth Red Bull and Toro Rosso are only 0.5sec off Mercs.

Take it with a big grain of salt. And oh, I don't speak german, so...
i am not saying anything at all....it's a summary of the article.
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

Still an Iceman
1
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2016 5:50 pm

Re: F1 2016 pre-season testing

Post by Still an Iceman » Fri Mar 11, 2016 6:54 pm

Well... this article is bullshit.
How is that possible that a brand new team who has so many things to learn could challenge a team like FI or Williams ? Last year, FI and Williams cars were excellent. And their car seems like to be an evolution of last year's car. There's no way Hass could join this group so quickly and easily.

Same thing for McLaren and RBT... these two teams imo are the big unknown of this 2016 season. They may not aim the win or the podium, but they may be good challengers fo top 6 this year.

dot235
5
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:59 am

Re: F1 2016 pre-season testing

Post by dot235 » Fri Mar 11, 2016 8:58 pm

Whoa, what's with the negative ratings... Sorry guys that article just pushed me over the edge with all those crazy assumptions. :mrgreen:

strad
219
User avatar
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:57 am

Re: F1 2016 pre-season testing

Post by strad » Sun Mar 13, 2016 12:01 am

There's no way Hass could join this group so quickly and easily.
you make me lauff. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Motorsport without danger is like cooking without salt
Sir Stirling Moss

FLuidd
-16
Joined: Sat Jul 28, 2012 4:29 pm

Re: F1 2016 pre-season testing

Post by FLuidd » Sun Mar 13, 2016 11:26 am

strad wrote:
There's no way Hass could join this group so quickly and easily.
you make me lauff. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Haas used in the last day of testing the Melbourne spec Ferrari engine.
if they used in the first race , they will be battling for points.

dot235
5
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:59 am

Re: F1 2016 pre-season testing

Post by dot235 » Sun Mar 13, 2016 6:51 pm

FLuidd wrote:
strad wrote:
There's no way Hass could join this group so quickly and easily.
you make me lauff. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Haas used in the last day of testing the Melbourne spec Ferrari engine.
if they used in the first race , they will be battling for points.
Not only that, they are also using Ferrari chassis parts and most of bits and pieces on the car look strikingly similar to Ferrari.

I would say it's a big unknown with the Haas.
I wouldn't be surprised whether they end up at the back (young team, many many details that can go wrong and hurt the results, management mistakes, overall lack of experience, relatively limited budget...) or the middle of the grid (direct or indirect help from Ferrari, strong EPU, presence of some very smart and experienced engineers that worked with other teams in the past, etc).
The latter scenario would be awful news for McLaren.

GPR-A
115
User avatar
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:00 am

Re: F1 2016 pre-season testing

Post by GPR-A » Sat Mar 19, 2016 9:14 am

jetho wrote:
GPR-A wrote: IF (a testing IF), today's time on SS (extra polated US) is the maximum that Manor can do and if they still are 6 seconds behind the Mercedes (quite possible), then Mercedes should be able to do a 1m18.6xx on Ultra Soft.
Note: Wehrlein being the rookie, might be still finding his feet in this new car and in the same situation, a more experienced Will Stevens could have been a few tenths faster.
That's no IF, that's a definite NO. Last year Manor was using the 2014 chassis and the 2014 PU from Ferrari. This year the delta between Merc and Manor should be much smaller as they are using up-to-date parts.
digitalrurouni wrote:
GPR-A wrote:Wehrlein in a Manor does 1m25.206s on Super Soft. That would be somewhere around around 1m24.6xx on Ultra Soft. Some Extrapolation I am doing here. Last year, the fastest manor ended up 6 seconds behind the Pole Sitter Nico Rosberg in Abu Dhabi. IF (a testing IF), today's time on SS (extra polated US) is the maximum that Manor can do and if they still are 6 seconds behind the Mercedes (quite possible), then Mercedes should be able to do a 1m18.6xx on Ultra Soft.
Note: Wehrlein being the rookie, might be still finding his feet in this new car and in the same situation, a more experienced Will Stevens could have been a few tenths faster.
No way the W07 will be able to do a 1:18!!!
ME4ME wrote:
GPR-A wrote:Wehrlein in a Manor does 1m25.206s on Super Soft. That would be somewhere around around 1m24.6xx on Ultra Soft. Some Extrapolation I am doing here. Last year, the fastest manor ended up 6 seconds behind the Pole Sitter Nico Rosberg in Abu Dhabi. IF (a testing IF), today's time on SS (extra polated US) is the maximum that Manor can do and if they still are 6 seconds behind the Mercedes (quite possible), then Mercedes should be able to do a 1m18.6xx on Ultra Soft.
Note: Wehrlein being the rookie, might be still finding his feet in this new car and in the same situation, a more experienced Will Stevens could have been a few tenths faster.
You think Manor is still 6sec down on Mercedes despite having a 2016 merc pu instead of the old Ferrari one, and a developed car instead of a modified 2014-one? Get real. There is no way Mercedes can do a 1.18, not with Pirellis new tyre pressures.
Still have doubts? For clarity, Manor today was FULL 5.8 seconds slower.

Italiano
32
User avatar
Joined: Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:28 am

Re: F1 2016 pre-season testing

Post by Italiano » Sat Mar 19, 2016 12:29 pm

Yeah, but the retarded qualy system didn't allow them to push a couple more times. I am absolutely certain there's more in that car. Even in the drivers as they get the hang of it.
#Forza Michael #Forza Jules

digitalrurouni
7
Joined: Fri Feb 26, 2016 5:50 pm

Re: F1 2016 pre-season testing

Post by digitalrurouni » Mon Mar 21, 2016 5:25 pm

Yep pretty much stand by my statement no way the Merc can do a 1:18.

GPR-A
115
User avatar
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:00 am

Re: F1 2016 pre-season testing

Post by GPR-A » Mon Mar 21, 2016 6:27 pm

Italiano wrote:Yeah, but the retarded qualy system didn't allow them to push a couple more times. I am absolutely certain there's more in that car. Even in the drivers as they get the hang of it.
Well, how much? 1 more second, like a miracle? Never mind, we will see in Bahrain in two weeks with old qualifying system.
For your reference, here are the times of those mid-field drivers who did 2 laps in Q1 (more like old quali) and NONE had a difference of one full second.
VES
1:26.934
1:25.829

SAI
1:27.057
1:26.236

PAM
1:27.866
1:27.241

MAG
1:28.013
1:27.297

PER
1:27.542
1:26.607

HUL
1:27.166
1:26.550
digitalrurouni wrote:Yep pretty much stand by my statement no way the Merc can do a 1:18.
:lol: :lol: :lol: