US Grand Prix

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
astracrazy
astracrazy

US Grand Prix

What track do you think F1 could go to in the US? And it is up to Bernie's standards

Include pics etc.

im concerned though that we will see another famous track dropped. We have Korea next year? i think it is. No France yet a replacement is rumored, Russia is rumoured.

xpensive
xpensive

Re: US Grand Prix

To my mind, there's only one track in the US, Road America, Elkhart Lake. Imagine an F1 race like that!
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

ISLAMATRON

from an economics standpoint BE only talks about NY and the only option when it comes to that is Watkins glen or a temporary circuit possibly at Flloyd Bennet field in Brooklyn , but that is now a national park.

ISLAMATRON

Road America is an amazing track.... stuck in the middle of nowhere.
Last edited by ISLAMATRON on 13 Apr 2009, 20:29, edited 1 time in total.

donskar
donskar

ISLAMATRON wrote:from an economics standpoint BE only talks about NY and the only option when it comes to that is Watkins glen or a temporary circuit possibly at Flloyd Bennet field in Brooklyn , but that is now a national park.
I think he was referring to New York City.

The Glen is a wonderful, challenging course, but it is light years away from FIA's absurd standards -- and so is Elkhart Lake. In fact (IMHO) only Indy meets those standards, with (maybe) Daytona a realistic economic alternative. (But NOT an esthetic alternative!)
Enzo Ferrari was a great man. But he was not a good man. -- Phil Hill

Dukeage
Dukeage

Whilst Bernie's standards are excessive in some areas, there have to be minimum spectator facilities, safety requirements and the like. Some venues would be vastly inappropriate for safety reasons, others for commercial reasons.

Of the areas that the US GP could do well in, New York and LA would be the right sort of places. Las Vegas would be a very Bernie idea, and Chicago could be an outsider.

If Floyd Bennett Field isn't possible for NY/NJ, aren't there lots of aerodromes in the NY area, specifically on Long Island? All that's needed is a logical place for a pit lane and permission to close roads - and someone to stump up the sanctioning fee.

Daytona is not a circuit where a road course could be built easily, as it would be a start from scratch operation - F1 cars on 33 degree banking is a non-starter.

jon-mullen

I'll cast my vote for Virginia International Raceway, but it's basically the American version of Magny-Cours: middle of nowhere. Streets of Philadelphia would be my dream choice.

VIR:

Dukeage wrote:Daytona is not a circuit where a road course could be built easily, as it would be a start from scratch operation - F1 cars on 33 degree banking is a non-starter.
Um, dude, Daytona has a road course, they run the 24 Hours of Daytona there. It's a lot like the Indy course minus the terrible road surface.
Loud idiot in red since 2010
United States Grand Prix Club, because there's more to racing than NASCAR

ISLAMATRON

jon-mullen wrote:
Dukeage wrote:Daytona is not a circuit where a road course could be built easily, as it would be a start from scratch operation - F1 cars on 33 degree banking is a non-starter.
Um, dude, Daytona has a road course, they run the 24 Hours of Daytona there. It's a lot like the Indy course minus the terrible road surface.
Yes but the road course still uses the banked part of the track and there is no way around using it.

Wilfko
Wilfko

and indy didnt?..

jon-mullen

Yeah, the Daytona banking is more extreme than Indy...and the road course uses turns 2, 3, 4 and the tri-oval...my mistake, I guess it would be tougher than Indy.

Roland Ehnström

Indy has 9 degrees of banking, Daytona 31 degrees... Plus Daytona is extremely bumpy.

RacingManiac
RacingManiac

Indy is definitely one of the least banked highspeed oval.....

jddh1

As much as I would love it to be in NYC, I don't think it is even plausible. Our Mayor would not accept Bernie's demands for sure. Besides, I don't think NYC roads are that good for that matter. Now, as far as NYC suburbs, I don't know what to tell you in all honesty.

I'd love if it is Watkins Glen, but their paddock area must be upgraded significantly, which can be done if they really want to and Bernie does not demand massive amounts of cash to put the race there.

Road America might be a great course, but it's in the middle of nowhere and from the Google satellite photos looks like teams must bring their own trailers to work on the cars. It's just not up to standard. Besides, who would want to travel North of Milwaukee for a race?

So it has to be somewhere on the coasts.

ISLAMATRON

Wouldn't be the first time Ferraris were blasting up the FDR.

Maybe Ratner could clear some space in the Atlantic Yard project.

hmmm I always forget that Staten Island is technically part of NYC... they got plenty of land out there... but it does smell a little funny.

But something around Battery park would be cool.

jon-mullen

What about Long Beach? Too CART?