Renault race-fixing at Singapore 2008

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
jon-mullen

Re: FIA to investigate Alonso's win in Singapore

richard_leeds wrote:
mike wrote: he must have know it, to chose a 12 lap fuel strategy qualifying in the back. if he has no idea about it then he is simply not good enough for F1, slow and brainless.
Teams do sometime try a radical strategy when they are miles out of position in a desperate gamble that something unusual will happen. I recall Lewis had an identical strategy earlier this season, I think it was at Silverstone.
It's been a while now but don't forget that a SC situation is all ANYONE was talking about at the start of the GP. It was just a matter of time and Bourdais almost brought one out himself a couple laps prior to Piquet doing it intentionally.
richard_leeds wrote:
ISLAMATRON wrote:To me it all lies in who they design the car to suit more next year, dont know much about Massa's preferred driving stye or how similar or not it is to FA's
Agreed

We know that they have put efforts into next years car midway through this season. That could be seen as preparing the ground for Alonso. But Alonso isn't there so to what extent can they realistically tailor the car to his style?
As for this issue, don't you think designing the car for the new fuel load is going to have more effect than either driver's "style" possibly could? I think in the end they'll just have to do what they can to make the chassis easy on the tires and drivable at any fuel load. After the opener we might see some development to suit one over another but I think for Oz we'll just see Massa and Alonso throwing around the same car that doesn't suit either one of them.
Loud idiot in red since 2010
United States Grand Prix Club, because there's more to racing than NASCAR

mike
mike

richard_leeds wrote: On your assessment if Alonso should have been suspicious (or stupid), then you'd say the same of Lewis, and that it is obvious McL were about to cheat in that race as well?
mike wrote: he must have know it, to chose a 12 lap fuel strategy qualifying in the back. if he has no idea about it then he is simply not good enough for F1, slow and brainless.
Teams do sometime try a radical strategy when they are miles out of position in a desperate gamble that something unusual will happen. I recall Lewis had an identical strategy earlier this season, I think it was at Silverstone.

On your assessment if Alonso should have been suspicious (or stupid), then you'd say the same of Lewis, and that it is obvious McL were about to cheat in that race as well?
my point is if Alonso didnt knew then he is for sure not as "smart" as people think, and singapore and sliverstone are different circuits, not to mention Lewis had kers and alonso didnt in singapore, and 09 cars are suppose to allow you to driver closer to each other. its like starting in the pit lane with low fuel in monaco and expect to over take in 08 spec cars. Gee what a clever strategy!

Giblet
Giblet

jon-mullen wrote:
richard_leeds wrote:
It's been a while now but don't forget that a SC situation is all ANYONE was talking about at the start of the GP. It was just a matter of time and Bourdais almost brought one out himself a couple laps prior to Piquet doing it intentionally.
richard_leeds wrote:
ISLAMATRON wrote:To me it all lies in who they design the car to suit more next year, dont know much about Massa's preferred driving stye or how similar or not it is to FA's
Agreed

We know that they have put efforts into next years car midway through this season. That could be seen as preparing the ground for Alonso. But Alonso isn't there so to what extent can they realistically tailor the car to his style?
As for this issue, don't you think designing the car for the new fuel load is going to have more effect than either driver's "style" possibly could? I think in the end they'll just have to do what they can to make the chassis easy on the tires and drivable at any fuel load. After the opener we might see some development to suit one over another but I think for Oz we'll just see Massa and Alonso throwing around the same car that doesn't suit either one of them.
The teams have said that the new fuel tanks are not a big deal, and they are easy to design around. Designers are more worried about complex tank baffling than anything else. The cars centre will change, just like it did for all the KERS cars this year, and that was Mclarens fundamental problem early on, was an error in the wight distro.

Like one of the designers said, brushing the issue off, "A Newton is still a newton, and the force o gravity is still 9.8ms2." Ballast will simply be moved.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

Richard
Richard

Giblet wrote: Like one of the designers said, brushing the issue off, "A Newton is still a newton, and the force o gravity is still 9.8ms2." Ballast will simply be moved.
According the variations in state building codes in the USA, gravity does change as you cross a state line!

Miguel
Miguel

richard_leeds wrote:
Giblet wrote: Like one of the designers said, brushing the issue off, "A Newton is still a newton, and the force o gravity is still 9.8ms2." Ballast will simply be moved.
According the variations in state building codes in the USA, gravity does change as you cross a state line!
Isn't pi defined to be 3.14 in the FIA regulations? I'm sure it's 3.1416 at best. I love it when lawyers make rules to the engineers.
I am not amazed by F1 cars in Monaco. I want to see them driving in the A8 highway: Variable radius corners, negative banking, and extreme narrowings that Tilke has never dreamed off. Oh, yes, and "beautiful" weather tops it all.

"Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future." Niels Bohr

Ray

Re: Renault race-fixing at Singapore 2008

Piquet got sideways after flooring the throttle when he had wheelspin. Funnily enough, in this video, Alonso has no problems with wheelspin, full throttle and kerbs. :-k Maybe it's Piquet who was the problem and not some conspiracy?

http://vimeo.com/6767304

ISLAMATRON

slicks versus grooved... remember that?

Ray

ISLAMATRON wrote:slicks versus grooved... remember that?
That's true. Hadn't thought of that. But I still think that video applies to the situation. I think Alonso is just better and can deal with wheelspin while Piquet can't.

ISLAMATRON

Nobody doubts that Alonso is bette than PK, but that isnt even the same corner that PK crashed in, and later in the vid it show Grosjean pulling off similar move to Alonso's.

The Vid is cool but it doesnt really prove anything.

Ray

That's true. Doesn't prove anything but shows that a better driver CAN control a car with wheelspin at full throttle. I still don't believe he did it on purpose, just that he said so because he was fired. I think Symonds went along with it rather than have the doubt hang over his head whether he did or not. He'll come back eventually most won't hold this against him.