Ferrari F14T

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
.poz
.poz

Re: Ferrari F14T

Thatsnotgonewell wrote:I thought that exhaust manifolds were designed by the chassis constructor, not the power unit manufacturer. If so maybe the wrap could be a cost saving option for Marussia over zircotec or other coatings?
Well, we all are naming it exhaust improperly: from the engine to the turbine is considered part of pressure charging system, so it's frozen. The "real" exhaust is the short part after the turbo.

PlatinumZealot

WilliamsF1 wrote:
Crucial_Xtreme wrote:Inside look at the transmission case of the F14T. They have a story up on the problems of the F14T --> http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/form ... 98832.html
http://img2.auto-motor-und-sport.de/Fer ... 798857.jpg
via AMuS
So where is the oil tank with in the gear box casing? All i see is a cradle for turbocharger with its heat shielding.
Same question here....
πŸ–οΈβœŒοΈβ˜οΈπŸ‘€πŸ‘ŒβœοΈπŸŽπŸ†πŸ™

diffuser

PlatinumZealot wrote:
WilliamsF1 wrote:
Crucial_Xtreme wrote:Inside look at the transmission case of the F14T. They have a story up on the problems of the F14T --> http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/form ... 98832.html
http://img2.auto-motor-und-sport.de/Fer ... 798857.jpg
via AMuS
So where is the oil tank with in the gear box casing? All i see is a cradle for turbocharger with its heat shielding.
Same question here....
Fom the images I've seen of it's location...it is sitting in top front of the trany housing which wouldplace it behind/above that sheild.

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

OmniCorse is now reporting that Ferrari placed the MGU-K in the transmission case as well..

Link to article can be found Here

diffuser

In that artical we see another reference to limitation to what teams can touch on the PU over the 2014-2015 off season. Looks like only 48% of the parts can be modified.

I'm not sure how restrictive that is but these engine rules have really taken a bite into the competitiveness of the WDC and constructors. Taking away the ability to catchup and basically writing off the season for most teams in March. I hope this 48% change rule doesn't mean Ferrari and Renault will take another 3-4 years to catch up.

These PU rules REALLY SUCK!!!!!!

scarbs
scarbs

I posted something last nite but then went and double checked all the pics of the ferrari PU.
The oil tank does sit in the gearbox, but is mounted to the back of the engine. Pics exist of the tank. It's a carbon unit, horse shoe shaped that wraps around the turbo heat shield and down to the bottom of the gearbox case opening. Effectively it fills the opening you see in front of the case.
I can't see how the MGUK can sit in the gearbox, the only space is around the clutch, but as we can see the clutch release hardware in this pic I doubt that's the case. I could only guess the MGUK and clutch are combined but again I doubt this.

PlatinumZealot

Mguk in the gearbox is obviously a rubbish idea. Who would want to disconnect those high voltage cables just to do some gearbox checks?? And imagine the extra weight back there..... Common sense says that claim us not true.

wesley123
wesley123

Due to the use of computers and limitations set over the weekend(Parc ferme) ease of setup isn't much of a design consideration anymore. Teams always come to races with a setup that works or close to works, requiring much less setup times.

The packaging within the gearbox casing just works better aerodynamically, and that is pretty much it's only consideration.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

PlatinumZealot

wesley123 wrote:Due to the use of computers and limitations set over the weekend(Parc ferme) ease of setup isn't much of a design consideration anymore. Teams always come to races with a setup that works or close to works, requiring much less setup times.

The packaging within the gearbox casing just works better aerodynamically, and that is pretty much it's only consideration.

Putting kers motor in the gearbox will take up a lot of space! It is defintely worse aerodunamically. Not to mention if you decide to mount the motor transversely you have to run it at ring gear speeds which is much lower than engine speeds. This is not good as slower rpm motors need to be larger to make the same power as high rpm motors.. Soooo is in tour best interests to have a high rpm motor. Which mean you place it beside the engine.... Takes up less space and reduce the car's polar moment of inertia.

trinidefender
trinidefender

PlatinumZealot wrote:
wesley123 wrote:Due to the use of computers and limitations set over the weekend(Parc ferme) ease of setup isn't much of a design consideration anymore. Teams always come to races with a setup that works or close to works, requiring much less setup times.

Putting kers motor in the gearbox will take up a lot of space! It is defintely worse aerodunamically. Not to mention if you decide to mount the motor transversely you have to run it at ring gear speeds which is much lower than engine speeds. This is not good as slower rpm motors need to be larger to make the same power as high rpm motors.. Soooo is in tour best interests to have a high rpm motor. Which mean you place it beside the engine.... Takes up less space and reduce the car's polar moment of inertia.
The higher the rpm that the motor has to run at the higher frictional losses it will encounter, this reduces its efficiency and hence power to the wheels. If you place the ERS-K next the to engine then a lot more cooling is needed for the ERS-K as well as heat shielding between the motor and the engine. 3rd'ly placing it next to the engine would be slightly eating away into available radiator space which might make the side pods bigger so the worse aero part is arguable either way.

Overall I would think running a slower more efficient ERS-K motor that requires less cooling and heat shielding further increasing efficiency of the system as a whole in the gearbox , while it might be slightly heavier, would be a neat system and something that makes sense in my head. Hmmm I wonder if ever anybody will be able to confirm if in fact their ERS-K motor is in the gearbox.

LookBackTime
LookBackTime

SPA, Belgium GP

Ferrari has wrapped up the exhaust pipes to keep more heat/energy in the exhaust fumes:

Kiril Varbanov

TechF1

Wow finally... maybe was Tombazis that told to Marmorini to do not install coibentation :lol: :twisted:

outsid3r

TechF1 wrote:http://www.omnicorse.it/img/articoli/ev ... entati.jpg
Wow finally... maybe was Tombazis that told to Marmorini to do not install coibentation :lol: :twisted:
Anyone knows what green oil is used for? (olio verde)

SpainFAN
SpainFAN

outsid3r wrote:
TechF1 wrote:http://www.omnicorse.it/img/articoli/ev ... entati.jpg
Anyone knows what green oil is used for? (olio verde)

loctite 6xx used to seal the bolts in place of the wrap. :?