Ferrari F14T

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
diffuser

Re: Ferrari F14T

TechF1 wrote:http://www.omnicorse.it/img/articoli/ev ... entati.jpg
Wow finally... maybe was Tombazis that told to Marmorini to do not install coibentation :lol: :twisted:

Looks sloppy...the large gaps ??? Maybe the installation isn' finished.

Pierce89

trinidefender wrote:
PlatinumZealot wrote:
wesley123 wrote:Due to the use of computers and limitations set over the weekend(Parc ferme) ease of setup isn't much of a design consideration anymore. Teams always come to races with a setup that works or close to works, requiring much less setup times.

The packaging within the gearbox casing just works better aerodynamically, and that is pretty much it's only consideration.

Putting kers motor in the gearbox will take up a lot of space! It is defintely worse aerodunamically. Not to mention if you decide to mount the motor transversely you have to run it at ring gear speeds which is much lower than engine speeds. This is not good as slower rpm motors need to be larger to make the same power as high rpm motors.. Soooo is in tour best interests to have a high rpm motor. Which mean you place it beside the engine.... Takes up less space and reduce the car's polar moment of inertia.
The higher the rpm that the motor has to run at the higher frictional losses it will encounter, this reduces its efficiency and hence power to the wheels. If you place the ERS-K next the to engine then a lot more cooling is needed for the ERS-K as well as heat shielding between the motor and the engine. 3rd'ly placing it next to the engine would be slightly eating away into available radiator space which might make the side pods bigger so the worse aero part is arguable either way.

Overall I would think running a slower more efficient ERS-K motor that requires less cooling and heat shielding further increasing efficiency of the system as a whole in the gearbox , while it might be slightly heavier, would be a neat system and something that makes sense in my head. Hmmm I wonder if ever anybody will be able to confirm if in fact their ERS-K motor is in the gearbox.
With electric motors the trend is to run more rpm. The same power at lower rpm means more torque and more heat. Heat hurts the efficiency of electric motors efficiency more than rpm associated friction. TBH I don't know much about electric motors because I waited till I was 31 yrs old to start on my engineering degree so I haven't worked much with electrics yet.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

wesley123
wesley123

PlatinumZealot wrote: Putting kers motor in the gearbox will take up a lot of space!
Which is why the gearbox is both longer as well as higher.
It is defintely worse aerodunamically.
Instead of taking up space in the sidepod or wherever they package these things it now is packed within the gearbox, far away from the airstream and not taking up space in the sidepod
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

zioture
zioture

trinidefender
trinidefender

Pierce89 wrote: With electric motors the trend is to run more rpm. The same power at lower rpm means more torque and more heat. Heat hurts the efficiency of electric motors efficiency more than rpm associated friction. TBH I don't know much about electric motors because I waited till I was 31 yrs old to start on my engineering degree so I haven't worked much with electrics yet.
Do you know if the ERS-K is a DC or AC motor? A slower turning motor does not always equal more heat.

Morteza

Belgium 2014 - Thursday (21.08.2014)

auto-motor-und-sport.de
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

f300v10
f300v10

Modified flaps on this version of the front wing. The tips no longer join.

stefan_
stefan_

Belgium 2014 - Thursday (21.08.2014)

"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

jaba.hut

stefan_ wrote:Belgium 2014 - Thursday (21.08.2014)
Was this thin long air blowing channel in front of the disk always there or is it new?

FrukostScones

another one:

Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

techF1LES

trinidefender wrote:
Pierce89 wrote: With electric motors the trend is to run more rpm. The same power at lower rpm means more torque and more heat. Heat hurts the efficiency of electric motors efficiency more than rpm associated friction. TBH I don't know much about electric motors because I waited till I was 31 yrs old to start on my engineering degree so I haven't worked much with electrics yet.
Do you know if the ERS-K is a DC or AC motor? A slower turning motor does not always equal more heat.
brushless DC motor

godlameroso

I think the rear end looks so meticulously sculpted such nice details everywhere, it's almost a shame the rear wing is so simple by comparison. I guess Ferrari has been developing the rear end of the car all season. I think their chassis is very good, maybe not the most downforce, but it's very good everywhere, where they obviously lack the most is the power unit, particularly ERS integration. I have zero doubt that that engine is very good, I think the amount of outsourcing that Ferrari does to make everything work is what's actually doing the most hindrance to what is otherwise a good car. Getting all the OTS parts to work in harmony is not as easy for Ferrari, which by Red Bull or Mercedes standards is a small company. I guess since the merger of the parent company with another major car manufacturer there will be a shorter pipeline to their technology integration. However it's not known if the regulations will constrict progress before Ferrari achieves this.
Saishū kōnā

PlatinumZealot

trinidefender wrote:
PlatinumZealot wrote:
wesley123 wrote:Due to the use of computers and limitations set over the weekend(Parc ferme) ease of setup isn't much of a design consideration anymore. Teams always come to races with a setup that works or close to works, requiring much less setup times.

The packaging within the gearbox casing just works better aerodynamically, and that is pretty much it's only consideration.

Putting kers motor in the gearbox will take up a lot of space! It is defintely worse aerodunamically. Not to mention if you decide to mount the motor transversely you have to run it at ring gear speeds which is much lower than engine speeds. This is not good as slower rpm motors need to be larger to make the same power as high rpm motors.. Soooo is in tour best interests to have a high rpm motor. Which mean you place it beside the engine.... Takes up less space and reduce the car's polar moment of inertia.
The higher the rpm that the motor has to run at the higher frictional losses it will encounter, this reduces its efficiency and hence power to the wheels. If you place the ERS-K next the to engine then a lot more cooling is needed for the ERS-K as well as heat shielding between the motor and the engine. 3rd'ly placing it next to the engine would be slightly eating away into available radiator space which might make the side pods bigger so the worse aero part is arguable either way.

Overall I would think running a slower more efficient ERS-K motor that requires less cooling and heat shielding further increasing efficiency of the system as a whole in the gearbox , while it might be slightly heavier, would be a neat system and something that makes sense in my head. Hmmm I wonder if ever anybody will be able to confirm if in fact their ERS-K motor is in the gearbox.
In the world of Formula 1 weight is the enemy. And high rpm motors don't have juge windage losses like high rpm engines so you can't infer that they will be less efficient than low rpm motors. They are still very efficient despite being faster. And no... a slower motor won't be slightly heavier.. it will much..much heavier!
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

PlatinumZealot

Slower motors are heavier because the torque is directly proportional to the field strength. So you need more core for a slower motor.
Also, since voltage is less (higher speed more voltage) you need more current and current means bigger conductors and more cooling.

You can see how small the motor is... directly connected to the crank shaft..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9fAnjgR8lA

Here you can see that weight is a serious issue for F1 motors:
http://www.greencarcongress.com/2010/11 ... -7-kg.html

I can't find much on the Ferrari unit though.. but remember we are looking at twice the horsepower for 2014 so flux density is even more important this year!
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

emmepi27
emmepi27

Front wing without upper flap and with two vertical fins