Ferrari F14T

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
stefan_
stefan_

Re: Ferrari F14T

Italy 2014 - Saturday (06.09.2014)

"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

hollus

I found a few videos of Raikkonen in Monza and his gear change seems to be limited to making 8th about 3% longer. 4th to 7th seem untouched, as does 2nd. They might have made a minor change to 3rd but the time he spends in that gear is minimal and often has wheelspin, so most likely it is just a data artifact.
No data about 1st and so far no data on whether Alonso has the same change or not.

Edit: It looks like they changed the gears for both cars. 1st is unseen so far, 2nd to 7th appear unchanged and 8th became 2.7% longer.
Last edited by hollus on 15 Sep 2014, 18:01, edited 1 time in total.
Rivals, not enemies.

McMrocks
McMrocks

stefan_ wrote:Italy 2014 - Saturday (06.09.2014)

http://i.imgur.com/zu1BxEz.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/KUuD8yT.jpg
Could someone explain me why there is some downward flow, please?

NoDivergence
NoDivergence

I would guess 3D effects

wesley123
wesley123

I'm assuming the strakes in the diffuser? Those strakes, If I'm correct, cause a pressure difference on the in/outside of the strake, thus air bleeds under the strake to shed a votex, which explains the downward flow on some of the strakes.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

McMrocks
McMrocks

wesley123 wrote:I'm assuming the strakes in the diffuser? Those strakes, If I'm correct, cause a pressure difference on the in/outside of the strake, thus air bleeds under the strake to shed a votex, which explains the downward flow on some of the strakes.
So a kind of wing tip vortex on the strakes?

wesley123
wesley123

Yes. It is visible because of the difference in paint coverage on the left hand side compared to the right hand side.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

Morteza

Formula1.com
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

joeyg02

Looks like they went back to the spa diffuser.
Drafting & Design Engineer - I crave information & live in a never ending quest for answers to whatever piques my curiosity.

Joey Griffin - Owner - JG GraphX.
Lifelong Motorsport Fan from Southern Georgia, United States.

diffuser

joeyg02 wrote:Looks like they went back to the spa diffuser.
We've seen that this year. On several occasions they test parts they're gonna use in the next race. They probably didn't need the xtra downforce in Monza. Although I would suspect that there would be less drag associated to diffuser downforce.

stefan_
stefan_

Singapore 2014 (Thursday 17.09.2014)

"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

Frafer
Frafer

that RW comes straight from Montercarlo, that's the end of F14T updates i guess
"I will miss Gilles for two reasons. First, he was the fastest driver in the history of motor racing. Second, he was the most genuine man I have ever known. But he has not gone. The memory of what he has done, what he achieved, will always be there." J. Scheckter

f300v10
f300v10

Better view of the modified barge board, now with second element. This has been on the car for a few races but I haven't seen a clear shot like this before:

f300v10
f300v10

Hard to be sure as the angle is not a good one, but there apear to be new and much larger front brake ducts:

turbof1

Frafer wrote:that RW comes straight from Montercarlo, that's the end of F14T updates i guess
Why so? This particular rear wing is built to produce the most amount of downforce possible. Since Monaco and Singapore are aero-wise close cousins, it's only natural to bring the Monaco spec one.

One shouldn't forget that the current cycle of rear wings is very, very limited in what they can alter and develop, close to being a standard part. Combine that with the fact that the RW regulations haven't changed much since 2009, only further restricting design freedom by removing slots in the wing elements in 2011 and a shallower main plane in 2014, and it isn't hard to see the same wing for the same type of circuit.
#AeroFrodo