Force India VJM08 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
f1316
f1316

Re: Force India VJM08

Nostrils on the car - nice to see (I like variety).

Can't help but wonder why no other teams spotted the loophole - which makes me wonder if they did but chose not to pursue - but here's hoping it works well for them.

I suppose, thinking about the above, it's a simpler to crash test nose than an ultra short one; wonder if therefore Ferrari might try something similar, as Allison has mentioned that their bulkhead makes it difficult to go ultra short.

FW17

I would have added a hole in the nose and ducted it to splitter area

PlatinumZealot

WilliamsF1 wrote:I would have added a hole in the nose and ducted it to splitter area

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/wp-content/u ... 014-32.jpg
Ah the good old "scratch and sniff" trick! Designed to break off at the slightest of impacts, creating a large hole for undercar aero.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Morteza

Via @Albrodpul
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

turbof1

So they ran the nose again in free practice. It's still possible they are effectively running a dimensions-wise illegal nose, but I'm starting to doubt that path now since we are effectively talking about using preparation time for qualifying and race.

I still have issues to understand how it is legal.
#AeroFrodo

scarbs
scarbs

The nose is race legal, the angle of the nostril ducts are such any cross section of the nose will always present a single open section, very clever, I spent ages eyeballing in the pits just now.

lio007

turbof1 wrote:So they ran the nose again in free practice. It's still possible they are effectively running a dimensions-wise illegal nose, but I'm starting to doubt that path now since we are effectively talking about using preparation time for qualifying and race.

I still have issues to understand how it is legal.
Here's an explanation:
Die Nase ist nach Artikel 3.7.8. auch legal. Darin wird verlangt, dass sich der Querschnitt der Frontpartie homogen vergrößert. Um sicherzustellen, dass die Frontpartien auch optisch eine gute Figur machen. Doch wie ist das zu schaffen mit zwei Löchern in der Struktur? "Wir subtrahieren die Fläche der Löcher einfach von der Gesamtfläche und stellen sicher, dass die daraus resultierende Fläche gemäß der Regeln homogen größer wird", verrät Green.
I'm afraid it's hard for me to give you a proper translation

http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/form ... 42916.html

techF1LES

scarbs wrote:The nose is race legal, the angle of the nostril ducts are such any cross section of the nose will always present a single open section, very clever, I spent ages eyeballing in the pits just now.
Indeed, very clever. I've very quickly sketched it (thanks to original idea from @ShumyAgain) and it is perfectly legal. Below, you can see video showing longitudinal vertical cross section taken parallel to the car centre line and it is always single open section just as article 3.7.8 demand.

aleks_ader

scarbs wrote:The nose is race legal, the angle of the nostril ducts are such any cross section of the nose will always present a single open section, very clever, I spent ages eyeballing in the pits just now.
Yeah thx scarbs for that as i was imaging (somesort). So they circumvent rules quite easily. The rule prescribe only 1st two open crossections (see below H and I) but not rest of it (A-G). Rules just provide linear relation how each next (mm^2) crossection from tip toward the front wheel axis increase its ABSOLUTE size.

Clever if you ask me.
"And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver..." Ayrton Senna

aleks_ader

Ahh now i see it i dont include the longitudinal crossection into the mix, so the exit holes must be sideways than inlet to insure "single" crossection. Thx scarb for animation...

EDIT 1: Sorry f1techfiles :) i was thinking that was scarb anime...well done
"And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver..." Ayrton Senna

PlatinumZealot

Ok i want some one to post the single open section on the old nose....
That has to be seen first.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

techF1LES

Note the nostrils outlets

PlatinumZealot

Great shot.

Now, I wonder what the other teams use for the opening of the section. Is the normal opening on the base of the nose? If so then force India must have blanked off the base of the nose right?
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

turbof1

Alright, now I do understand it (a big thanks techF1LES for that video). The question that does remain now: is this solution actually better then the conventional one? Or even: what does it do? I can imagine that being a completely different flow pattern then what normally goes around there.
#AeroFrodo

Ferraripilot

turbof1 wrote:Alright, now I do understand it (a big thanks techF1LES for that video). The question that does remain now: is this solution actually better then the conventional one? Or even: what does it do? I can imagine that being a completely different flow pattern then what normally goes around there.

Ducting at the underside of the nose appears to attempt directing flow at the tea tray so I'm sure they're relying on the barge boards to do their job in directing that flow around and ultimately to the top of the diffuser. With the recent pic of the nose exit at the underside I just don't see them trying to direct air mostly under the floor as I first believed.