Renault R31

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
ringo

Re: Renault R31

Too heavy, they would just use a bladder i guess.

It's bolted to what looks like electronics. Could be a coolant reservoir for KERS?
For Sure!!

manchild
manchild

Been looking those pics and zooming for a while.

I know this will sound at least far fetched if not crazy, but I think that it is the pressurized chamber for inflating of G-suit.

Michiba
Michiba

madly wrote:Zgred thanks, great photo!

Below HiRes version with brightened dark areas.

and HiRes link: http://sliwinski.priv.pl/f1/r31_fee_2011_03_24.jpg

EDIT: typo
On the canister thingy; I doubt it is this, but what size reservoir would you need for a hydraulic KERS setup?
This image should give you a better idea of the intake.

although, this is on the other side of the car, so the left side might be different.

JohnsonsEvilTwin

Renault heat signature.

More could have been done.
David Purley

Carlo's
Carlo's

Scarbs:
Renault front brake ducts, the small outer scoop looks likes it's aided by the inlet inside the vane

nacho
nacho

Is that KERS-equipment under the right radiator.

ringo

this car spit out some flames in q1, anyone have any HD shots?
For Sure!!

zgred

korzeniow
korzeniow

@zgred, thanks for the photos. There are revised cooling outlets at 1st photo.
It's been a long time since we drove last time, but it has also been a short time at the same time
Roam Grosjean ponders the passing of time on the first day of testing at Jerez
February 5, 2013

mith

I also think they're revised cooling outlet, which now looks bigger.

TURU
TURU

There is one thing about R31, more precisely its exhaust system that made me wonder. What impact can it possibly have at the start of the race.
I mean it blows under the floor and since exhaust gases are quite hot, one could imagine that maybe, just maybe it can heat up the tires or the track surface in front of rear wheels giving them better grip off the line. Are we going to witness some atomic starts from Renault? What do you think?

747heavy

not sure, if it makes much of a difference under "normal" conditions, but
if we see a wet race start, or slightly damp track, I would not bet against it.
"Make the suspension adjustable and they will adjust it wrong ......
look what they can do to a carburetor in just a few moments of stupidity with a screwdriver."
- Colin Chapman

“Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.” - Leonardo da Vinci

marekk
marekk

TURU wrote:There is one thing about R31, more precisely its exhaust system that made me wonder. What impact can it possibly have at the start of the race.
I mean it blows under the floor and since exhaust gases are quite hot, one could imagine that maybe, just maybe it can heat up the tires or the track surface in front of rear wheels giving them better grip off the line. Are we going to witness some atomic starts from Renault? What do you think?
Only if they go the few last meters to the start line very, very slow, to get some heat into the tarmac.
But it certainly can help to get more heat into rear tyres on formation lap and behind safety car.

korzeniow
korzeniow

marekk wrote:Only if they go the few last meters to the start line very, very slow, to get some heat into the tarmac.
But it certainly can help to get more heat into rear tyres on formation lap and behind safety car.
It should help with starts on the green side of the track
It's been a long time since we drove last time, but it has also been a short time at the same time
Roam Grosjean ponders the passing of time on the first day of testing at Jerez
February 5, 2013

Blackout

So in fact, the exhausts are passing under radiators disposed a la Macca/RBR and not between the chassis and two classicly disposed Renault radiators...

That means Renault could 'easily', if they want, replace its FEE system with another interesting concept: STR sidepods + rear exhausts !

The front brake ducts they run since the first tests (first version) are interesting as well. :)