Renault R31

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Lurk

Re: Renault R31

manchild wrote:Supercavitation?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supercavitation
manchild wrote:Supercavitation?
Supercavitation is about vaporise liquid to reduce drag. Unless they expect heavy rain for each race, it can't be that.

What you point as heat protection is clearly carbon fiber and in this picture, there is a reflection on the "hole". So it isn't one.

spaman

Well... Renault just improved the KERS to a level where they don´t need any exhaust pipes anymore... :mrgreen:

Giblet
Giblet

bosanac1 wrote:we will know tomorrow for sure

i am sure someone will snap picture of exhaust gases should be easy to spot or flames on down shifting
Like I said earlier heat haze will make it very obvious where it is coming from.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

ringo

This looks like a cooling entrance, or simply a port hole to removing something.

Pointing the exhuast into the oncoming air will have very random results. More than likely it will increase drag, and send hot gas right into the radiator inlet.
For Sure!!

Florio
Florio

ringo wrote:[img]http://www.motorsport-total.com/bilder/ ... 48.jpg[img]

This looks like a cooling entrance, or simply a port hole to removing something.

Pointing the exhuast into the oncoming air will have very random results. More than likely it will increase drag, and send hot gas right into the radiator inlet.
My thoughts exactly. Am I the only one who just thinks that this suggestion is completely bonkers and is just media hype?

imightbewrong
imightbewrong

Am I mad? Are they using a three-spoke lower wishbone at the back?

Could that last spoke (LW3) be connected only with flexures and be replaceable to adjust suspension dynamics and thus avoid troublesome packaging suspension components?
Last edited by imightbewrong on 31 Jan 2011, 22:54, edited 1 time in total.

Giblet
Giblet

Thats the pull rod, innit?
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

imightbewrong
imightbewrong

Giblet wrote:Thats the pull rod, innit?
I fixed the image and added a label (PR) for the pull rod.

ringo

The tie rod to keep the wheels from turning.
For Sure!!

spaman

TURU wrote:
spaman wrote:I have the impression, that the sidepods aren´t symetrical. Viewed from the front - the left one seems to be muchs slimmer than the right one.

Is it possible that the exhaust exits the car just on the right side?

Take a look at this picture:

and compare it to this one:

Strange - isn´t it?
I don't think they are asymetrical. "The exhaust" in your picture is just reflection.
I think you are wrong. Check out the pictures - you can see the exhaust exit on every single picture of the right side.

http://www.lotusrenaultgp.com/spip.php? ... 35&lang=en

Edit: Well, not really every picture... the ones without the covering...
Last edited by spaman on 31 Jan 2011, 23:00, edited 1 time in total.

manchild
manchild

That's why I've placed a question mark after suprcavitation :wink:

The material on splitter is definitely for protection from heat. Perhaps they've presented only blank cover with no outlets at all?

TURU
TURU

I'm sure it's just reflection :D

imightbewrong
imightbewrong

ringo wrote:The tie rod to keep the wheels from turning.
What other modern F1 spec cars use 'em?

Topic on tie-rods, Ackerman arm is mentioned:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6241
Last edited by imightbewrong on 31 Jan 2011, 23:02, edited 1 time in total.

myurr
myurr

What if that hole was an inlet and used in combination with what looks like exhaust ports in front of the side pods - the 3 holes. If the inlet was used in combination with the exhaust could it be used to control the air flow and get the exhaust to energise more air? Alternatively that inlet could be used to provide cooling air past the exhaust.

Lurk

@imightbewrong : I did the same mistake on F150 until my brother said : "it's just the tie rod..." #-o :lol: