2014 Australian Grand Prix - Melbourne

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
NathanOlder

Re: 2014 Australian Grand Prix - Melbourne 13-16th March

Just out of interest, when was the last time a reigning champion failed to win a race in his title defence season ? Jacques in 98 ?
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

mnmracer
mnmracer

NathanOlder wrote:Just out of interest, when was the last time a reigning champion failed to win a race in his title defence season ? Jacques in 98 ?
Technically, though Schumacher needed the bizarre circumstances of Indy 500 to win follow his championship year.

zeph
zeph

thomin

NathanOlder wrote:Ricciardo under investigation

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2014/03/16/r ... t-breach/?
That doesn't look good for him...I really wonder how Red Bull could commit such an error...? If the FIA was able to tell that he "consistently" exceeded the fuel limit, then so was Red Bull. A sensor issue therefore seems highly unlikely. Of course I'm speculating here, I'll be interesting to hear Red Bull's explanation.

iotar__

- Horrible boring, race. Fake enthusiasm from Merc - they ran at 80% of potential with no competition and extra stop in a pocket.
- all the rest average, the fact that Toro Rosso was up there says it all, same for McL 3-4,
- Ferrari - as expected, horrible - still sandbagging, difference to Merc is unthinkable for the only other full chassis-engine team,
- Williams should have been fighting for a podium, Bottas regrettably blew it, that's not how you drive in new F1, just patience and waiting for other cars to be slow, no racing, attacks and overtaking, wait for no fuel saving switch, or better try to force other over fuel limits - pure racing. His big fault anyway, looked shaky.

- Two MGU-K failures by Lotus, they should ask for their money back from Renault. They get units from second driver at Red Bull batch, it must be their contribution to engine development, Mark Webber brand :) .

mikeerfol

mnmracer wrote:
thomin wrote:
NathanOlder wrote:Ricciardo under investigation

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2014/03/16/r ... t-breach/?
That doesn't look good for him...I really wonder how Red Bull could commit such an error...? If the FIA was able to tell that he "consistently" exceeded the fuel limit, then so was Red Bull. A sensor issue therefore seems highly unlikely. Of course I'm speculating here, I'll be interesting to hear Red Bull's explanation.
What is the penalty for that? Automatic DSQ or a possible time penalty?
DSQ.

AlexJ
AlexJ

thomin wrote:One would think that an automatic DSQ would be in order, especially after declaring a hard stance on the issue before the race. On the other hand, if there was some sort of malfunction by a FIA specified part, then there might be no consequence. I remember Alonso getting off without penalty despite using DRS when he wasn't legally permitted to do so.
If I remember that incident Alonso's DRS popped open during a turn, so he got off on the grounds of not having gained an advantage.

Exceeding the permitted fuel usage even by accident is unlikely to be considered the same way.

SidSidney
SidSidney

Interesting lap analysis, speed trap and sector times for McLaren (Magnussen) vs Mercedes and Red Bull. Once he got into the groove that car was a little bit more competitive than expected, as well as being reliable.
Last edited by SidSidney on 16 Mar 2014, 12:31, edited 1 time in total.
This signature is encrypted to avoid complaints, but it makes me laugh out loud:-
16S75 13E7K 41C53 7CT23 14O5O 67R32 76175 90B67 L4L42 41O63 72W56 98M10 52E87

astracrazy
astracrazy

does anyone know why under braking sometimes the rear light flashes sometimes? Sure it never used to happen

Ultra_Tech
Ultra_Tech

basti313 wrote:
Ultra_Tech wrote:How can red bull get away with anything. Whatever the circumstances, if they gained a performance advantage by going over the agreed limit, then they have to be sanctioned.
The fuel flow sensors are double checked with the fuel consumption calculated by the McLaren standard ECU because the standard ECU still is more precise than the fuel flow sensor. This was announced before the race.
I have another question, Adam Cooper has said that the teams were told the only mitigating circumstances for violating this rule was a faulty FIA sensor.

Am I right when it seems that Red Bull changed the sensor in Parc Ferme this weekend?

Let me know because if so and that is the case, i consider that highly suspect that a team would do that, almost as if they were planning to exceed the limit and then use the faulty sensor arguement as a backup.

I dont know if this is the case....just going on some chatter online?

Hail22

Sheesh Yahoo sport seem confident that Dan will be DSQ'D from the race:

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/news/form ... 7--f1.html
If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

kooleracer
kooleracer

Rosberg did a 1:32.478 on lap 19, with heavy fuel so the car has a lot of pace in hand. Bottas and Alonso did their fastest lap on lap 56 both BOTTAS 1:32:568 and Alonso 1:32:616. Mercedes has as big an advantage like the RB9 had in the last few races of 2013. Rosberg was just cruising in his Merc. Like Vettel last year he had 2+ sec advantage after the first safety car lap. Ted was saying that Ferrari are losing 0.4 a Lap i think its he means 1.4 a Lap. The W05 is a great car its not all about the engine, their first stint was so fast without big degradation.
Irvine:"If you don't have a good car you can't win it, unless you are Michael or Senna. Lots of guys won in Adrian Newey's cars, big deal. Adrian is the real genius out there, there is Senna, there is Michael and there is Newey.They were the three great talents."

Shrieker

I went back to bed at exactly half way on lap 28. Did i miss much ?
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

Hail22

Daniel Ricciardo has been Disqualified from the Australian Gran Prix:

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/motor ... 6856415733

Which means Magnussen is promoted to 2nd and has broken Vettel's youngest podium holder title! =D> =D>

Edit: now they have changed the title of the article, Australian Journalism...not very reliable *wags finger at them*
Last edited by Hail22 on 16 Mar 2014, 13:58, edited 3 times in total.
If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

basti313
basti313

SidSidney wrote:I can think of one person in the RB garage who will be quite happy with a Ricciardo DQ...
Why? Rosberg is the driver to beat and the McL profit....
Don`t russel the hamster!