2014 Australian Grand Prix - Melbourne

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Coulthard's Jaw
Coulthard's Jaw

Re: 2014 Australian Grand Prix - Melbourne

Disagree really, seemed like a typical race from last year.

The thing with the cars sliding more is possibly true, but because everyone is driving at 80% to hit fuel and tyre deltas the drivers simply never get into a position where they are pushing so hard they make mistakes. This is especially true when you get past the opening third of the race and everything has settled down.

turbof1

Not pushing hard enough to not make mistakes? Maybe you forgot about kimi, kvyat (sorry if I mispronounced that name) and bottas all had moments when under pressure (bottas trying too hard). I'm sure I'm missing a whole lot other drivers, but these stood above the rest.

Tyre management was much less a problem. There were some graining issues which got solved on their own. And fuel management was towards the end of the race also relative minor.
#AeroFrodo

SectorOne

Vergne lost it out of last corner as well. Or maybe that was Kvyat.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

Juzh

vergne

joetoml1n

Does anyone know what a hoagie (or hogie or hoagy) is? Heard it mentioned on the team radio during the race to Rosberg, a bit of digging has found it was mentioned again in the 2013 Japanese Grand Prix (to Rosberg again)..

2014 AUS : (L17) So, go strat seven. No more “hogies” required currently.
2013 JAP : (L11) So target three, important to pull the gap to Massa, currently 1.8 seconds. So Nico if you’re feeling comfortable like some hoagie 25s, just to help on fuel.
2013 JAP : (L47) At the end of this lap we have seven laps remaining. Gutierrez you are over a second a lap quicker than him, he is five seconds up the road. And we need Hoagie 25s.

I asked on Twitter, Scarbs said there was a Mercedes Engineer called Hoagy - A quick search on LinkedIn says he was involved with KERS and Fuel systems amongst other things.. I was thinking Fuel saving mode, KERS recovery mode or something similar..
Any answers/opinions?

lebesset
lebesset

surely it is already clear that , once things have settled down , this is going to be much more a drivers formula again ; personally I was getting fed up with it being almost completely about the car

and if they do something about the normal sized drivers being disadvantage next season i shall be even happier !when I was young and ultra fit I was 6ft tall and weighed 80 Kg ....now someone that size can't get a drive despite it now being about average !
to the optimist a glass is half full ; to the pessimist a glass is half empty ; to the F1 engineer the glass is twice as big as it needs to be

el-Magico
el-Magico

SectorOne wrote:Vergne lost it out of last corner as well. Or maybe that was Kvyat.
Because he drove into the grass with his left rear tyre..
Quote of the year: "almost as sickening as the Velcro fluff under Lewis' cap..."

CBeck113
CBeck113

joetoml1n wrote:Does anyone know what a hoagie (or hogie or hoagy) is? Heard it mentioned on the team radio during the race to Rosberg, a bit of digging has found it was mentioned again in the 2013 Japanese Grand Prix (to Rosberg again)..

2014 AUS : (L17) So, go strat seven. No more “hogies” required currently.
2013 JAP : (L11) So target three, important to pull the gap to Massa, currently 1.8 seconds. So Nico if you’re feeling comfortable like some hoagie 25s, just to help on fuel.
2013 JAP : (L47) At the end of this lap we have seven laps remaining. Gutierrez you are over a second a lap quicker than him, he is five seconds up the road. And we need Hoagie 25s.

I asked on Twitter, Scarbs said there was a Mercedes Engineer called Hoagy - A quick search on LinkedIn says he was involved with KERS and Fuel systems amongst other things.. I was thinking Fuel saving mode, KERS recovery mode or something similar..
Any answers/opinions?
A hoagie is the name of a sandwich in the greater Philadelphia area of the US:
https://www.google.de/search?q=hoagie&s ... 80&bih=915

When I lived there they were bigger, with more lunchmeat and less vegetables :P
“Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony!” Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Redragon

strad wrote:
I am sick of this comments that this new F1 is not racing and not entertainment enough. If you don't like it just quit the sport and find something else to watch sundays.
Well that is kinda the point. #-o
You have people who have followed F1 for 52 years completely losing interest.
I have followed F1 for 25 years or more and still interested. I just adapt myself to the regulations and enjoy the sport as it is now, no living on the past as they don't have nothing to do with the cars and regulations of now. Yes on the past F1 was great but now it is great too, it is just how much you are ready to adapt and understand the new parameters around it.

If as some are describing here how painful it is to watch F1 this days just quit and do something else with more pleasure. Now if the critics are constructive base within the new regulations and help to improve it, great, all welcome, IMO. If the critics it just to cry about how great f1 was on the 70's why not to create a new forum or new page as F1Thecnical70's and then you can discuss the old days instead of posting every 2 pages here how painful it is this days to watch f1.

P.S. My posts are general and are not directed to anyone just in case.

iotar__

- It's getting repetitive so last time: drivers making difference already discussed, Rosberg had a start and race in a vacuum at ...%, same for Magnussen and Ricciardo but with some radio-fuel-battle before the end.
- At least Alonso cleared sth., he said they were much faster but not enough on straights (engine). Not the only explanation but fine, rules related but won't last forever.
- How is drivers making mistakes proof of anything? Vergne made one because Toro Rosso served him team orders two laps before the end in the first race of the season :o : "OK Jev. Daniil behind is faster than you – don’t hold him up".
http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2014/03/18/2 ... ranscript/ Some attempts to explain "hogie" in comments.

SectorOne

el-Magico wrote:
SectorOne wrote:Vergne lost it out of last corner as well. Or maybe that was Kvyat.
Pretty sure he lost it in the middle of the road due to power oversteer sending him off line.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

SectorOne

iotar__ wrote:Vergne made one because Toro Rosso served him team orders two laps before the end in the first race of the season :o : "OK Jev. Daniil behind is faster than you – don’t hold him up".
What happened then? Because Vergne finished ahead of Kvyat.

I also doubt Kvyat or STR had anything to do with Vergne losing the rear and getting passed by Alonso.

el-Magico
el-Magico

SectorOne wrote:
el-Magico wrote:
Pretty sure he lost it in the middle of the road due to power oversteer sending him off line.
Are you that sure that you wanna bet a €100,- over it?
[youtube]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_9jfY9gMUfE[/youtube]

Wait for it, around 00:49

Ps.
Still a pretty impressive save though!
Quote of the year: "almost as sickening as the Velcro fluff under Lewis' cap..."

SectorOne

Yea i´ll bet €-100

Kiril Varbanov

Apologies if it has been posted before, I checked three pages back.
It appears that all Mercedes cars ran older version of FIA's ECU software in Australia:
Caterham SR623
Ferrari SR623
Force India SR621+B610
Lotus SR623
Marussia SR623
McLaren SR621+B610
Mercedes SR621+B610
Red Bull SR623
Sauber SR623
Toro Rosso SR623
Williams SR621+B610
Certainly, I asked FIA and as usual, I got no response. I can also speculate that this B610 is Build number, but anyway, that doesn't explain anything, apart from making obvious the fact that cars ran different software, for some reasons.
I will update the thread if new info appears. The original pointer for that came from Petr on Twitter.