2017 Italian Grand Prix - Monza, 1-3 September

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
The_table

Re: 2017 Italian Grand Prix - Monza, 1-3 September

Gothrek wrote:
03 Sep 2017, 21:06
In my country, many recognize Hamilton as a great driver, but he is perceived as a big douche because of his attitude. His attitude being his perceived fakeness, arrogance, his bling factor, etc. Basically he looks and talks like somebody with half a brain you find in any club. Does that make him a bad driver? no. But it is a factor why many people don't like him.
And I am from Belgium, so we don't have an agenda on Seb vs. Hamilton. We are already happy that we have a Belgian in F1.
I have never noticed that...
He talks with a normal British accent, if you had a phone conversation with him you would not think he was dumb, secondly how many Brits are there in Belgian clubs,how many dudes in Belgian clubs walk around with millions worth of jewelry? (Maybe you have been huffing to much race fuel or something?)

People tend to not like dominant drivers very much, i think that's the issue.(Unless he's in "your team" obviously.)

And saying that the Merc engine was better than the Ferrari engine in Monza was bound to get a response.(He was speaking the truth, but still.)

PlatinumZealot

This is the poem that lewis got his inspiration from:

Let's not get into the slave part of the poem, that is a different can of worms. Focus on the stanzas before that and you see how aware of the critics Lewis is. The poem is so true. A beautiful poem.
Still I Rise
BY MAYA ANGELOU

You may write me down in history
With your bitter, twisted lies,
You may trod me in the very dirt
But still, like dust, I'll rise.

Does my sassiness upset you?
Why are you beset with gloom?
’Cause I walk like I've got oil wells
Pumping in my living room.

Just like moons and like suns,
With the certainty of tides,
Just like hopes springing high,
Still I'll rise.

Did you want to see me broken?
Bowed head and lowered eyes?
Shoulders falling down like teardrops,
Weakened by my soulful cries?

Does my haughtiness offend you?
Don't you take it awful hard
’Cause I laugh like I've got gold mines
Diggin’ in my own backyard.

You may shoot me with your words,
You may cut me with your eyes,
You may kill me with your hatefulness,
But still, like air, I’ll rise.

Does my sexiness upset you?
Does it come as a surprise
That I dance like I've got diamonds
At the meeting of my thighs?

Out of the huts of history’s shame
I rise
Up from a past that’s rooted in pain
I rise
I'm a black ocean, leaping and wide,
Welling and swelling I bear in the tide.

Leaving behind nights of terror and fear
I rise
Into a daybreak that’s wondrously clear
I rise
Bringing the gifts that my ancestors gave,
I am the dream and the hope of the slave.
I rise
I rise
I rise.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

GPR-A duplicate2

I see a lot of people talking about liking Hamilton as a driver and not liking his off track persona for his lifestyle, bling and what not. The problem is, majority of people across the world are raised in conservative cultural backgrounds, regardless of which country they are from. They are taught, anything more than average is EXCESS and THAT IS NOT GOOD. Hippies are not good, punks are not good, tattoos are not good, bling is not good and what not.

When people raised in such environments meet people who belong to these EXCESSES, the natural expression is, "I DON'T LIKE" them.

It takes a lot of wisdom to learn and accept that, there are various different ways of living life and all are ACCEPTABLE AND ARE JUST FINE. Just because I have been taught one particular life style, that shouldn't deter me from appreciating contrasting life styles.

Because Schumacher and Vettel have a quiet life and hence "I LIKE THEM" means, they suit the narrative that my upbringing has handed over to me. "I DON'T LIKE" bling and EXCESS because that was NOT the narrative that my upbringing has handed over to me. In fact, many a people are almost unaware, when that "I DON'T LIKE" crossed the fine line and fell into "I HATE IT" zone.

ripper
ripper

Probably a reason why Hamilton is perceived in this way in Italy is because it is portrayed a bit in this way by Italian media. A good hero, a German who keeps his private life secret, speaks Italian, works hard in the factory needs an evil villain: a British man (Italian racing culture vs English one), that shows himself with gold necklaces and acts as a rockstar. The media knows that this bullshit helps to sell more (or catch more clicks, or whatever) and so they pump it. As soon as Hamilton has a bad weekend "he isn't concentrated because he participated to a party with Rihanna!"... My personal opinion? He's a great driver, I didn't boo him last year when I went to Monza and I wouldn't have booed yesterday, that's all.

J.A.W.
J.A.W.

Hamilton is a very talented driver.. & his achievements stand firmly - on their merits..
& his two most recent G.P.'s with such implacable pole/race domination, showcased his applied steely concentration..

If, when off track, he does a bit of the 'Ali G' routine - so bloody what?

'After all, its only a bit of a laff, init.'

AFAIK, he ain't up to the kind of back-door shenannigans - that blew Tiger Woods' career down the crapper..
"Well, we knocked the bastard off!"

Ed Hilary on being 1st to top Mt Everest,
(& 1st to do a surface traverse across Antarctica,
in good Kiwi style - riding a Massey Ferguson farm
tractor - with a few extemporised mod's to hack the task).

RPieter
RPieter

Hi guys,

What's your prediction of which of the remaining tracks is a Merc, and which a Ferrari,... or even a RB track?

- Singapore
- Malaysia
- Japan
- US
- Mexico
- Brasil
- Abu Dhabi

Andres125sx

GPR-A wrote:
04 Sep 2017, 07:24
I see a lot of people talking about liking Hamilton as a driver and not liking his off track persona for his lifestyle, bling and what not. The problem is, majority of people across the world are raised in conservative cultural backgrounds, regardless of which country they are from. They are taught, anything more than average is EXCESS and THAT IS NOT GOOD. Hippies are not good, punks are not good, tattoos are not good, bling is not good and what not.

When people raised in such environments meet people who belong to these EXCESSES, the natural expression is, "I DON'T LIKE" them.

It takes a lot of wisdom to learn and accept that, there are various different ways of living life and all are ACCEPTABLE AND ARE JUST FINE. Just because I have been taught one particular life style, that shouldn't deter me from appreciating contrasting life styles.

Because Schumacher and Vettel have a quiet life and hence "I LIKE THEM" means, they suit the narrative that my upbringing has handed over to me. "I DON'T LIKE" bling and EXCESS because that was NOT the narrative that my upbringing has handed over to me. In fact, many a people are almost unaware, when that "I DON'T LIKE" crossed the fine line and fell into "I HATE IT" zone.
I find it pretty sad you think a mayority of people is so conservative, so closed minded. When someone assume most people is X (put whatever you want instead of that X), that usually speak a lot more about the person making that assumption that about the real mayority of people

f1316
f1316

RPieter wrote:
04 Sep 2017, 08:27
Hi guys,

What's your prediction of which of the remaining tracks is a Merc, and which a Ferrari,... or even a RB track?

- Singapore
- Malaysia
- Japan
- US
- Mexico
- Brasil
- Abu Dhabi
I was asking myself the same question and came to the conclusion that:

- Ferrari have a great chance to win (and maybe 1-2) in Singapore
- they have a very good chance in Abu Dhabi
- they should be right in the hunt in Brazil

But there's a four race stretch after Singapore that I think are just nailed on Mercedes tracks, and that would lead one to believe that Ferrari need something unusual or to capitalise on a mistake in order to win even the drivers championship.

Now they have a new PU to come and maybe that will help (let's assume for now thete won't be turbo related grid penalties) but I think it's more than pure engine power and Lewis alluded to the fact that Ferrari are strong when they can ADD downforce to their car; their low downforce package is not strong at all and this would seem to make sense as RB's competitiveness - despite having a less powerful engine - was good versus Ferrari both at Monza and Baku. RB seem to be able to maintain a better balance with low DF.

I think Spa worked for Ferrari because they actually didn't trim as much df - they kept it for the middle sector, perhaps with an eye on tyre wear also -so this may mean Suzuka and to some extent Malaysia are decent for them.

Still, I suspect we'll come to Abu Dhabi with the title still open but a long shot for Seb.

iotar__

- Another borefest, another Ham-Vett '17 classic. Wolff was right, those are much better than with Rosberg, I also like when there's no competition,
- Raikkonen - hopeless, another Marchionne's success and the end of WCC for Ferrari. How on earth did they keep him #-o ?
- Verstappen - still as basic as it gets in wheel to wheel, rams into Massa to take him out like Ricc and whines on the radio,

- Ocon-Stroll-Raikk-Massa trains showed how evil DRS is. Thankfully Brawn is working on fixing it instead of non-existant competitiveness or marketing & pay drivers occupying half of F1 grid.

Phil

BTW - I just wanted to say, I am very impressed by Sebastian Vettel. Not by his race performance, but the way he conducted himself on the podium and post-race interviews. He knew they were lucky to even be on the podium today and yet somehow he managed to rally the fans (Tifosi) behind him and I feel spark energy within his own team for the coming races. This is precisely what Ferrari (any team needs) needs.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

Vasconia

Phil wrote:
04 Sep 2017, 09:39
BTW - I just wanted to say, I am very impressed by Sebastian Vettel. Not by his race performance, but the way he conducted himself on the podium and post-race interviews. He knew they were lucky to even be on the podium today and yet somehow he managed to rally the fans (Tifosi) behind him and I feel spark energy within his own team for the coming races. This is precisely what Ferrari (any team needs) needs.
Absolutely, tiffosi needed something after such an underwhelming race.

Phil

Oh Max... I just watched the race again. What a pity about that lap 3 incident. If he had only waited another lap, the DRS would have surely made it quite a straightforward pass before the chicane. That would have been a guaranteed podium for him, surely.

I appreciate that Dan is driving more intelligently most of the time, but Max is the quicker in raw-pace so far this season (and yes, I'm a Ricciardo supporter).
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

Vasconia

GPR-A wrote:
04 Sep 2017, 07:24

I personally never liked Hamilton as a person because of some of his reactions/comments in the past and during the last years. Nothing to do with his lifestyle, its good for F1 to have a "bad" boy.

I have really liked how he has reacted after having broken Senna and Schumacher´s pole records though. Nice words and a truly touched man wich shows how much he loves F1.

I also like how close to the fans he has been recently, good use of social media.

About Italian fans reaction against him, I dont like when fans boo another driver, but Rosberg suffered this the last seasons so it has to do more with fans education and lack of respect rather than with a certain driver´s lifestyle.

Restomaniac
Restomaniac

fabian77 wrote:
04 Sep 2017, 02:30
Restomaniac wrote:
03 Sep 2017, 20:13
fabian77 wrote:
03 Sep 2017, 18:30

https://youtu.be/pWYKRVrd75g

This is what I am talking about disgraceful from the crowd. Like the old saying says, those who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones. Its bad sportsmanship from the crowd like it was at monza today, im not defending them just pointing it out the brits are no better.
Yes because that is exactly the same as booing the winner on the podium.......Oh wait no if isn't :roll:
Maybe you should learn to read I am talking about crowd SPORTMANSHIP not about what happens only on the podium.
I have read it. You are trying to compare Apples and Oranges.

Cheering because of an event happens and it is normal in almost every sporting arena even though it was rather localised to that corner anyway. Booing someone (by a huge amount of the crowd) for no logical reason other than sour grapes isn't.

You try and defend the cry baby crowd all you want. It won't make it any less of a pathetic dummy spit though.
Last edited by Restomaniac on 04 Sep 2017, 10:23, edited 1 time in total.

Vasconia

lio007 wrote:
03 Sep 2017, 21:45
Sorry for not reading the last 10 or so pages: can anybody tell me why palmer retired today?

Edit: ok, read their race report... It's been a transmission issue.
According to Alonso was karma. :mrgreen: