2017 Italian Grand Prix - Monza, 1-3 September

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
notsofast
notsofast

Re: 2017 Italian Grand Prix - Monza, 1-3 September

Verstappen's market value probably dropped quite a bit today. Perception matters. Regardless of who was at fault, all those DNFs and other mishaps will no longer be perceived to all be down to bad luck.

FrukostScones

notsofast wrote:
03 Sep 2017, 19:28
Verstappen's market value probably dropped quite a bit today. Perception matters. Regardless of who was at fault, all those DNFs and other mishaps will no longer be perceived to all be down to bad luck.
no.
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

ripper
ripper

Anyway I read some report done by People that were near the podium and they Said that there was some booing, but there were more applauses. I wish there wasn't any boo, but... I know it works in this way. Bad performance for Ferrari, but I can't wait for next race, even if I don't like that circuit

Enrico shark
Enrico shark

Phil wrote:
03 Sep 2017, 19:09
Enrico shark wrote:
03 Sep 2017, 18:48
This has nothing to do with Instagram. I based this out of the Sky Italia interviews and is not actually my opinion, but the opinion of friends and other people with whom I talk about F1 when it comes to Lewis. My opinion is that, okay I don't love the guy, I recognise that if he would be driving for Ferrari I would be cheering him as well, but not in the way I'm now cheering for Vettel. He's too much of an enemy. The one and only pilot in Ferrari has been Michael and I feel like still has to come one like him and probably it will never come.
I very much appreciate your honesty. I am not going to argue with you or try to convince you of something else. I was just very interested, because your sentiment and the sentiment of your friends and other people match up with many of my own friends too (those that do follow F1).

Truth is - I've always wondered why. I do have some ideas however. From my friends at least, it seems most of them follow F1 from far more superficially. They are happy to watch the races, maybe some of the post-race interviews from their native broadcasts, but that's about it. They rarely go beyond that, as I do. Then again, I'm probably more "hardcore" than some. If you do follow the sport from that distance though, some drivers do come across as quite different.

I know for example that Hamilton comes across as cocky to some because of the "bling" he carries, the extravagance he portrays and the image he has built (is building) on his name. This doesn't carry over well to some people. To be honest, it's the things I least like about him too. But I suppose I follow him closer to be able to look beyond that to not have that impact my view of him. Sadly, most of my friends or people who I know that follow the sport, rarely show enough interest to go beyond their prejudice to actually give him a chance. To be fair, most of the people I am referring to are German-speaking. Hamilton rarely gets even some coverage on TV broadcast, I assume because most of his interviews need to be translated and thus are kept very short to the bare minimum. Vettel and others on the other hand get to talk to our local broadcasts in their native language. As such, they somehow get portrayed as the "local boy" being covered by the home team, if that makes any sense.

I would assume things to be quite similar in Italy, even if you get to watch the Sky broadcast. Vettel is the local hero, he even goes through the effort to speak Italian (lots of plus points in my book). My best bet is that Hamilton would be portrayed as the "the black horse" to some extent, just as Vettel and Ferrari are, I suppose, portrayed in the British press that way.

Following all drivers quite closely, I think Hamilton is great. He always comes across as very humble in pretty much all interviews I've seen. Vettel similarly, to be fair, though I think (and appreciate) that Vettel is far more diplomatic which is sometimes a very valuable quality. Hamilton on the other hand wears his heart on his sleeve, for good and bad. Having said that, I don't dislike Vettel. I think he is an extraordinary driver, as is his personality. Being a Hamilton supporter doesn't make me blind of that.

I do think though that most fans are very much influenced by the selective media they consume.
I totally agree with you. The fact about bling is exactly what I was referring too. Also, and maybe this is only on the Italian Sky, they always ask him about why he doesn't handshakes with Seb after races, and he always tries to escape those type of questions, so I guess he's been pictured like the man lacking ogni sportsmanship and fair play.
I don't follow pilots on social media because I'm not so interested about seeing every aspect of their life. They have to prove me what they're worth of on the track, not on instagram.
And in fact, sticking to racing and performance, except about the Baku incident, I really can't say anything bad about Lewis. He's impressive when it comes to qualy and I love when he's driving like crazy to gain seconds and you hear him panting on the radio.
I mainly watch F1 for the engineering aspects being myself an engineering student and I wanna see Ferrari pushing their development to the limit to try and get to the Merc level.
Also, I guess that everyone agrees on this, having a same level of performance car between Seb and Lewis would be amazing for the show.

I apologize if my previous posts sounded too much like the ones of a frustrated fanboy but I was just trying, without succeeding, to make you understand why we are so whole-heartedly passionate about Ferrari.

TAG

I've maintained my opinion of drivers always by what they do on track, it's worked for me. No one knows anyone, and the people that go on about how someone's private life bothering them; they're the ones with the problem. Kimi falls off his boat drunk as a skunk but he's a pretty popular guy... I'm not buying it.

We spent 60 pages after Baku having people actually defending Vettel for throwing his car at another competitor, that should tell you everything you need to know about why he was booed today.

I stand by my list on the previous page.
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

ripper
ripper

Honestly I don't care about what they do out of race weekend until they are professional and polite. Hamilton wants to be a rockstar? Great. Vettel keeps his privacy? Great. I might dislike some of their attitude (vettel acting as a petulant child) but in the end I just care that they extract as much as possible from their car and behave correctly on track (cough vettel cough Baku)

Restomaniac
Restomaniac

fabian77 wrote:
03 Sep 2017, 18:30
GPR-A wrote:
03 Sep 2017, 17:33
fabian77 wrote:
03 Sep 2017, 17:17

Unlike the sporting behaviour from the british crowd cheering when Ferrari had tyre problems at Silverstone, short memory you have.
I am not sure when was Vettel booed in Silverstone? I am sure there was a roar when his tyre blew. Just the same roar that we heard in Malaysia when Lewis' PU went pop. If you are equating that to booing, you probably need to understand what booing near podium means.

More so, Vettel was already a villain with his antics at Baku and if people got excited to see his tyre blew, there is nothing to complain about.

Lewis has always appreciated the crowds coming over to races, thanks them for support, engages with them and instead of enjoying one of the fantastic displays of qualifying and race performance, these sore losers boo him for doing a great job.
https://youtu.be/pWYKRVrd75g

This is what I am talking about disgraceful from the crowd. Like the old saying says, those who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones. Its bad sportsmanship from the crowd like it was at monza today, im not defending them just pointing it out the brits are no better.
Yes because that is exactly the same as booing the winner on the podium.......Oh wait no if isn't :roll:

Restomaniac
Restomaniac

Enrico shark wrote:
03 Sep 2017, 19:40
Phil wrote:
Enrico shark wrote:
03 Sep 2017, 18:48
This has nothing to do with Instagram. I based this out of the Sky Italia interviews and is not actually my opinion, but the opinion of friends and other people with whom I talk about F1 when it comes to Lewis. My opinion is that, okay I don't love the guy, I recognise that if he would be driving for Ferrari I would be cheering him as well, but not in the way I'm now cheering for Vettel. He's too much of an enemy. The one and only pilot in Ferrari has been Michael and I feel like still has to come one like him and probably it will never come.
I very much appreciate your honesty. I am not going to argue with you or try to convince you of something else. I was just very interested, because your sentiment and the sentiment of your friends and other people match up with many of my own friends too (those that do follow F1).

Truth is - I've always wondered why. I do have some ideas however. From my friends at least, it seems most of them follow F1 from far more superficially. They are happy to watch the races, maybe some of the post-race interviews from their native broadcasts, but that's about it. They rarely go beyond that, as I do. Then again, I'm probably more "hardcore" than some. If you do follow the sport from that distance though, some drivers do come across as quite different.

I know for example that Hamilton comes across as cocky to some because of the "bling" he carries, the extravagance he portrays and the image he has built (is building) on his name. This doesn't carry over well to some people. To be honest, it's the things I least like about him too. But I suppose I follow him closer to be able to look beyond that to not have that impact my view of him. Sadly, most of my friends or people who I know that follow the sport, rarely show enough interest to go beyond their prejudice to actually give him a chance. To be fair, most of the people I am referring to are German-speaking. Hamilton rarely gets even some coverage on TV broadcast, I assume because most of his interviews need to be translated and thus are kept very short to the bare minimum. Vettel and others on the other hand get to talk to our local broadcasts in their native language. As such, they somehow get portrayed as the "local boy" being covered by the home team, if that makes any sense.

I would assume things to be quite similar in Italy, even if you get to watch the Sky broadcast. Vettel is the local hero, he even goes through the effort to speak Italian (lots of plus points in my book). My best bet is that Hamilton would be portrayed as the "the black horse" to some extent, just as Vettel and Ferrari are, I suppose, portrayed in the British press that way.

Following all drivers quite closely, I think Hamilton is great. He always comes across as very humble in pretty much all interviews I've seen. Vettel similarly, to be fair, though I think (and appreciate) that Vettel is far more diplomatic which is sometimes a very valuable quality. Hamilton on the other hand wears his heart on his sleeve, for good and bad. Having said that, I don't dislike Vettel. I think he is an extraordinary driver, as is his personality. Being a Hamilton supporter doesn't make me blind of that.

I do think though that most fans are very much influenced by the selective media they consume.
I totally agree with you. The fact about bling is exactly what I was referring too. Also, and maybe this is only on the Italian Sky, they always ask him about why he doesn't handshakes with Seb after races, and he always tries to escape those type of questions, so I guess he's been pictured like the man lacking ogni sportsmanship and fair play.
I don't follow pilots on social media because I'm not so interested about seeing every aspect of their life. They have to prove me what they're worth of on the track, not on instagram.
And in fact, sticking to racing and performance, except about the Baku incident, I really can't say anything bad about Lewis. He's impressive when it comes to qualy and I love when he's driving like crazy to gain seconds and you hear him panting on the radio.
I mainly watch F1 for the engineering aspects being myself an engineering student and I wanna see Ferrari pushing their development to the limit to try and get to the Merc level.
Also, I guess that everyone agrees on this, having a same level of performance car between Seb and Lewis would be amazing for the show.

I apologize if my previous posts sounded too much like the ones of a frustrated fanboy but I was just trying, without succeeding, to make you understand why we are so whole-heartedly passionate about Ferrari.
He shock his hand today and then after being booed he went out of his way to make sure that Vettel was involved in the group hug. How very cocky. Who does he think he is, maybe SKY Italia can ask him why he did such things? Or maybe they won't because it doesn't suit their agenda.

Enrico shark
Enrico shark

Restomaniac wrote:
03 Sep 2017, 20:21
Enrico shark wrote:
Phil wrote:

He shock his hand today and then after being booed he went out of his way to make sure that Vettel was involved in the group hug. How very cocky. Who does he think he is, maybe SKY Italia can ask him why he did such things? Or maybe they won't because it doesn't suit their agenda.
I'm not referring to today's handshakes. The interviews I referred to were from a few GPs back. Like before and after Baku.

Schuttelberg

TAG wrote:
03 Sep 2017, 19:25
Schuttelberg wrote:
03 Sep 2017, 18:13
TAG wrote:
03 Sep 2017, 16:50

And I for one was perfectly happy to see him stand up to them. The Mercedes PU comment being better, was sublime, just like his performance this weekend.
Everyone knows Mercedes has done an incredible job as has Lewis. It was a bit idiotic of the crowd to boo him. But the Vettel they were cheering today was once booed. The thing with Lewis is that he tries to suck up to the crowds for no reason. He tried, got booed and retaliated. I thought the Merc PU comment was stupid. It's just my opinion though.
Just your opinion, I understand that, but your facts are wrong, the booing started immediately after the anthems stopped at the interview had begun. So, yeah, my opinion too, and I'm sure the comment in Ferrariland stung Marchionne. The cannolies tonight will be filled with sorrow.
Don't get me wrong, I don't like the booing. But I accept the crowd. It is definitely part of a F1 season! The atmosphere was ridiculous. What I found 'fake' was the 'I love Italy' bla bla bla.. I don't mind the Mercedes is better than Ferrari bit.
"Sebastian there's very, you're a member of a very select few.. Stewart, Lauda, Piquet, Senna, Prost, Schumacher, Fangio.. VETTEL!"

justmoi
justmoi

Enrico shark wrote:

This is what you said..
Well, he always seems kind of cocky. Like he always thinks he is king of the world and lacks of humility. Seb has more WC titles than him and he always remains with his feet on the ground. But I don't blame him for this. He was lucky to be on the right car at the right time and he's enjoying this at the maximum.
AND which winning driver has not been in the right car at the right time? Seb? Who? Anyway nothing personal, but your post did not come across as balanced and objective like you now say.
Last edited by justmoi on 03 Sep 2017, 20:57, edited 1 time in total.

justmoi
justmoi

Schuttelberg wrote:
03 Sep 2017, 20:49
TAG wrote:
Schuttelberg wrote:
03 Sep 2017, 18:13

Everyone knows Mercedes has done an incredible job as has Lewis. It was a bit idiotic of the crowd to boo him. But the Vettel they were cheering today was once booed. The thing with Lewis is that he tries to suck up to the crowds for no reason. He tried, got booed and retaliated. I thought the Merc PU comment was stupid. It's just my opinion though.
Just your opinion, I understand that, but your facts are wrong, the booing started immediately after the anthems stopped at the interview had begun. So, yeah, my opinion too, and I'm sure the comment in Ferrariland stung Marchionne. The cannolies tonight will be filled with sorrow.
Don't get me wrong, I don't like the booing. But I accept the crowd. It is definitely part of a F1 season! The atmosphere was ridiculous. What I found 'fake' was the 'I love Italy' bla bla bla.. I don't mind the Mercedes is better than Ferrari bit.
Why fake? I love Italy it's a great place to visit. But i think the reaction of the tiffosi was ridiculous. How do you know he wasn't being sincere? This 'microanalysing' is what leads to some ridiculous conclusions about people in the limelight. People who post will need to look at themselves

Schuttelberg

justmoi wrote:
03 Sep 2017, 20:55
Schuttelberg wrote:
TAG wrote:

Why fake? I love Italy it's a great place to visit. But i think the reaction of the tiffosi was ridiculous. How do you know he wasn't being sincere? This 'microanalysing' is what leads to some ridiculous conclusions about people in the limelight. People who post will need to look at themselves
I'm not looking for your stamp of approval mate. I have my opinion and you have yours. Let's just leave it at that. It doesn't mean anything. What I LOVE is that there is passion. There is the fact that two great drivers are absolutely going ding dong at each other.. isn't that why we watch racing? I love it! I was pumped after the race!
"Sebastian there's very, you're a member of a very select few.. Stewart, Lauda, Piquet, Senna, Prost, Schumacher, Fangio.. VETTEL!"

justmoi
justmoi

Schuttelberg wrote:
03 Sep 2017, 20:58
justmoi wrote:
03 Sep 2017, 20:55
Schuttelberg wrote:

I'm not looking for your stamp of approval mate. I have my opinion and you have yours. Let's just leave it at that. It doesn't mean anything. What I LOVE is that there is passion. There is the fact that two great drivers are absolutely going ding dong at each other.. isn't that why we watch racing? I love it! I was pumped after the race!
Again nothing personal, but frankly I could care less about your stamp of approval either. You posted a subjective opinion which i replied to. I said exactly what I think of your post. But yes i am more than happy to leave it at that

Gothrek
Gothrek

In my country, many recognize Hamilton as a great driver, but he is perceived as a big douche because of his attitude. His attitude being his perceived fakeness, arrogance, his bling factor, etc. Basically he looks and talks like somebody with half a brain you find in any club. Does that make him a bad driver? no. But it is a factor why many people don't like him.
And I am from Belgium, so we don't have an agenda on Seb vs. Hamilton. We are already happy that we have a Belgian in F1.