[MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2017

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
Alonso Fan

Re: [MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2017

I'm getting a strange occurrence

Seems as though it cannot see the files even though they are where they should be and OF recognises the workingDir
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

Sound Developer for Reiza Studios
Sound Modder for Assetto Corsa

RicME85

This is what I will be entering. Have gone for the intro class. I created the floor, diffuser and wings with the CAESES online geometry generator. I changed the rear wing endplates and supports from what the tool generated and gone with something a bit more pleasing on the eye. At the front I have added dive planes as the simulation I did with the wings and floor setup I generated the balance was still a bit too rearward despite a decent size front wing/diffuser. I havent had chance to test the car with the dive planes nor the new RWEP and supports but I am hoping it will just nudge the balance forward slightly.
Not holding out much hope for race day but my intention is to just get a car entered and hopefully score some points that I can add too each race with some more testing.

RicME85

Alonso Fan wrote:
23 Jul 2017, 18:16

Seems as though it cannot see the files even though they are where they should be and OF recognises the workingDir
Change the name.

Front_wheel_DX
Front_wheel_SX
Rear_wheel_DX
Rear_wheel_SX

rjsa
rjsa

RicME85 wrote:
23 Jul 2017, 18:35
This is what I will be entering. Have gone for the intro class. I created the floor, diffuser and wings with the CAESES online geometry generator. I changed the rear wing endplates and supports from what the tool generated and gone with something a bit more pleasing on the eye. At the front I have added dive planes as the simulation I did with the wings and floor setup I generated the balance was still a bit too rearward despite a decent size front wing/diffuser. I havent had chance to test the car with the dive planes nor the new RWEP and supports but I am hoping it will just nudge the balance forward slightly.
Not holding out much hope for race day but my intention is to just get a car entered and hopefully score some points that I can add too each race with some more testing.

http://i.imgur.com/22m8fXQ.png
My rear wing end plates and supports look pretty much exactly the same.

Alonso Fan

RicME85 wrote:
23 Jul 2017, 18:38
Alonso Fan wrote:

Change the name.

Front_wheel_DX
Front_wheel_SX
Rear_wheel_DX
Rear_wheel_SX
Thanks for your help but I'm getting the same issue after renaming

Edit: I've just tried running my 2016 le mans case and i get the same error. So it seems to be an error with my setup but not sure why
Last edited by Alonso Fan on 23 Jul 2017, 21:47, edited 1 time in total.
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

CAEdevice

RicME85 wrote:
23 Jul 2017, 18:35
This is what I will be entering. Have gone for the intro class. I created the floor, diffuser and wings with the CAESES online geometry generator.
I can't wait to see the numbers of your car.

Feel free to ask for specific improvements of the base car (the compatibility with the parts generated by CAESES will be maintened).

The dive surfaces will surely add some front df, but not very much (they will help balancing). You can try with larger dive surfaces, more extended towards the maximum frontal overhang and maximzed vertical spacing.

Ft5fTL

Alonso Fan wrote:

http://i64.tinypic.com/kal7ns.jpg

I got that error for a couple of times. Deleting the folders except the "input_files" folder on the case and starting fresh did solve that problem.
Mantium Challenge - Pure Power Racing

Alonso Fan

Ft5fTL wrote:
23 Jul 2017, 21:55
Alonso Fan wrote:

http://i64.tinypic.com/kal7ns.jpg

I got that error for a couple of times. Deleting the folders except the "input_files" folder on the case and starting fresh did solve that problem.
So it goes 'input files' then just all the stls? Or am i still to keep folders like 'special bc' etc?
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

Ft5fTL

No what im saying is delete the case files that the software creates and recreate them.

Btw if anyone interested i posted some images of the developmend of the car on my blog.
Mantium Challenge - Pure Power Racing

RicME85

Alonso Fan wrote:
RicME85 wrote:
23 Jul 2017, 18:38
Alonso Fan wrote:

Change the name.

Front_wheel_DX
Front_wheel_SX
Rear_wheel_DX
Rear_wheel_SX
Thanks for your help but I'm getting the same issue after renaming

Edit: I've just tried running my 2016 le mans case and i get the same error. So it seems to be an error with my setup but not sure why
Did you delete all the files other than the input folder and rebuild the case? Otherwise it won't make a difference if you made the change to the name.

Alonso Fan

Ah i see what you mean

Yes i have done this several times already. It's taken me a whole day and not got a single simulation working
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

LVDH

Please send me your case. Next time try copy pasting the error message and use the Q&A section on the challenge page. It will help others with similar issues.

I have just checked and can tell you that I have received a number of cars. I cannot wait to check them all out. I have seen some because of support questions but Variante and JJR are always very quiet, so lets see.

Also there will be a very big change in CFD software. As there were so many complaints about the Docker version of OF I have switched to using this version:
http://bluecfd.github.io/Core/
I hope to roll out the new software tomorrow. It was a lot of work, but it should make things easier and more reliable. So while you are waiting you can install this new version of OF, it takes a while but there is nothing you can do wrong. On Linux you will switch to OF 4.1.

CAEdevice

Thank you LDVH. Do you think that solver change could lead to different results? Do we need to re run the latest car update for reference?

LVDH

Hi I have not tested it on MVRC cars yet. But the numbers will slightly change and what I have seen in the other test cases is that the new OF seems to be a bit more stable, which is always good.

rjsa
rjsa

It's blueCFD-Core 2016-1 for windows? Can I use OF 4.1 on OSX too?