Scuderia Ferrari 2014

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
tpe
tpe

Re: Scuderia Ferrari Team 2014

Carlos wrote:" Alfa Romeo platform module to produce the Chrysler Dodge Dart ... I won't be surprised if I can buy a Dodge Barracuda with a Ferrari V12 in a few years ... dark days for Ferrari :)
You are wrong... It's not AR. It's FIAT. The Alfa is based on the FIAT Bravo (good car, mediocre quality).

diffuser

321apex wrote:Fernando was blind thinking that close ties with Montezemolo and the departed team manager Stefano Domenicaly were somehow "good for him". When Fernando joined Scuderia, the team was already starting a downhill slide and I put the blame squarely on Montezemolo. Fernando on the other hand showed bad judgement betting his career by aligning himself with individuals who proved to be detrimental to his carreer.

Fernando is the best of the best and the only allies he needs are the sort that will give him a good car. Consequently, as the results now show - Montezemolo and Domenically were NOT Fernando's allies.

Montezemolo hired a puppet team manager in the person of Stefano Domenically and ran the team from the backseat. I am shocked that corporate people took so long to figure Montezemolo out.

Much credit is given to Montezemolo for Ferrari glory days when Schumacher drove for Scuderia, but in my view it is not because of Montezemolo but rather IN SPITE of him. He had a lucky hand with Jean Todt and Ross Brawn and the rest is history. Those two individuals raised the game of the whole team so high, that it took several years for the inertia to run out and team start to fumble. I would venture to say that if there was a lesser driver than Fernando, Montezemolo and Domenically would have been ousted 2 years yearlier.

I am sorry for Marmorini, he should not have been let go as he was.

I think they (LdM & Stefano D) new the team's short comings....They kept searching for their James Allison whom they finally found. If Mattiacci is basicly listening to James Allison & Allison is Ldm's & Stefano's Man...How different will Ferrari be next year to what it would have been if they had remained ?

I really haven't heard Mattiacci say anything different to what was being said before his arrival.

321apex
321apex

diffuser wrote: I think they (LdM & Stefano D) new the team's short comings....They kept searching for their James Allison whom they finally found. If Mattiacci is basicly listening to James Allison & Allison is Ldm's & Stefano's Man...How different will Ferrari be next year to what it would have been if they had remained ?

I really haven't heard Mattiacci say anything different to what was being said before his arrival.
Agree.
It is hard to judge Mattiacci one way or the other, however he is a "sales guy" and was hired by Montezemolo so I tend to question his judgement when it comes to all major decisions relating to the race team. Mattiacci could be a very smart guy and all, but he lacks racing experience and technical understanding of what steps to take to "fix things" and why. When Todt and Brawn arrived at Scuderia in 90's it took 2 years before Schumacher started winning, such was the "deficit" of performance within the team. At the time, both men were accomplished race team managers. This time the magnitude of task may be similar as well as pedigree of experience and know how to correct things.

When I saw Marmorini being fired, I knew Mattiacci lacked the "background" to make an objective evaluation of someone having Marmorini's accomplishments and so it was really Montezemolo making the call.

Marchione's statements that "engine is the problem" make me shiver in amazement. There is never just one element missing but rather a whole many areas.
As such sadly I feel that the Ferrari team will get worse before it can get better.

Pierce89

321apex wrote:
diffuser wrote: I think they (LdM & Stefano D) new the team's short comings....They kept searching for their James Allison whom they finally found. If Mattiacci is basicly listening to James Allison & Allison is Ldm's & Stefano's Man...How different will Ferrari be next year to what it would have been if they had remained ?

Agree.
It is hard to judge Mattiacci one way or the other, however he is a "sales guy" and was hired by Montezemolo so I tend to question his judgement when it comes to all major decisions relating to the race team. Mattiacci could be a very smart guy and all, but he lacks racing experience and technical understanding of what steps to take to "fix things" and why. When Todt and Brawn arrived at Scuderia in 90's it took 2 years before Schumacher started winning, such was the "deficit" of performance within the team. At the time, both men were accomplished race team managers. This time the magnitude of task may be similar as well as pedigree of experience and know how to correct things.

When I saw Marmorini being fired, I knew Mattiacci lacked the "background" to make an objective evaluation of someone having Marmorini's accomplishments and so it was really Montezemolo making the call.

Marchione's statements that "engine is the problem" make me shiver in amazement. There is never just one element missing but rather a whole many areas.
As such sadly I feel that the Ferrari team will get worse before it can get better.
Schumacher was winning races from his first season at Ferrari.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

Pierce89

MOWOG wrote:
Fernando Alonso has lost two big allies today. Montezemolo has quit Ferrari, Santander's Emilio Botin died of a heart attack overnight.
What effect on Alonso's career do you see either or both of those events having? :?:
Nothing but positive. If Alonso wanted to work it out, he could get a seat anywhere other than Merc(and he could possibly oust Lewis there, really). The team principals all rate Fred as one of the greats. Looking at Shumi, I seen no reason Alonso couldn't hang around a while longer.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

321apex
321apex

Pierce89 wrote: Schumacher was winning races from his first season at Ferrari.
I meant winning championships, since this is what matters most, and to which alluded Sergio Marchionne in his criticism of current Scuderia reuslts:
" But he said the F1 team's current lack of performance was unacceptable.

Ferrari have not won a drivers' or constructors' title since 2008, despite having Fernando Alonso, widely regarded as the best driver, since 2010. "

Schumacher joined Ferrari for 1996 season. The first constructors championship with Schumacher was attained in 1999 season, drivers championship in 2000. Until that time Ferrari played second fiddle to McLaren and Williams.

diffuser

321apex wrote:

Agree.

The word on the street is/was, he wasn't hired by Montezemolo. That he was placed there by Marchione or someone above Montezemolo.

I'm sure that is why Pat Fry is still there. He's gonna be doing the kind of stuff Mattiacci can't. Besides his "director of engineering" sounds the same as chief of Engineering that he was at McLaren when Lewis won.

max_speed
max_speed

Looks like ferrari is all set to loose services of alonso starting from year 2015 onwards. i dnt know whether desperation in alonso to win third title asap or ferrari admitting that its gonna take another 2-3 years before they can fight for championship,
is reason for this. so far i am not liking the new management in ferrari , expecting alonso to commit his prime years to crippling horse is just asking for too much , already team has wasted his 5 excellent years, i acknowledge heritage , pride, importance of being ferrari but this arrogance from top is not acceptable.

donskar
donskar

A split would be for the best. Ferrari openly admits it will not be competitive next year; Alonso is equally honest that he needs to win now.

Great loss for Ferrari. IMHO, no one can replace Alonso.
Enzo Ferrari was a great man. But he was not a good man. -- Phil Hill

6 of 12
6 of 12

Alonso is irreplaceble indeed. German press are speculating about Vettel changing to Ferrari. Ferrari will have an extremely hard time selling that to the fans....
No, Kimi, no. You will not have the drink.

Juzh

Alonso IS ferrari. Without him they are nothing. Who's going to drag those wheelbarrows on the podium in the future if he's gone?

charlex

Re: R: Scuderia Ferrari Team 2014

Juzh wrote:Alonso IS ferrari. Without him they are nothing. Who's going to drag those wheelbarrows on the podium in the future if he's gone?
Hahahahaha Alonso is a great driver but he's not Ferrari. Absolutly.

Avocado
Avocado

Juzh wrote:Without him they are nothing.
True.

mika vs michael
mika vs michael

realistically McLaren-Honda won't be able to challenge for the title before 2016. Does that mean that Ferrari is so screwd that cannot inspire Alonso to stay until the end of his contract?

I think maybe Ferrari do not know actually where they are going. and that's why alonso prefers to leave. Probably before challenging for the title in 2016 he wants to be in the team at least one year to establish maybe his authority and become the main Honda man.

I think it was not accidental that Ferrari had no title for 20 years. 2006 was a crucial year. They should have promoted Ross Brawn to team principal. and they should get the man back this year after sacking Domenicali. Probably Ferrari are nowhere at the moment and Alonso knows that so he prefers to go somewhere else...even if it is to a team with an engine supplier that is re-entering the sport.
Probably they target Vettel for 2016, 2015 will be an interim year and then 2016 will try the MS recipe? well they need a strong team boss and leading staff. Allison may be ok but the rest I don't know.

I think Alonso is the closest thing to Michael Schumacher and Ferrari could not make use of it because of its garbage technical-team people with few exceptions...I think what Allison seaid that in the team there was no vision and people were afraid to risk says it all...
"It is necessary to relax your muscles when you can. Relaxing your brain is fatal." Stirling Moss

I tried this and I had understeer, I tried that and I had oversteer, at the end of the corner I just run out of talent

CjC
CjC

What interests me is, all the things people are saying about how it's a massive risk alonso leaving Ferrari for mclaren, wasn't the same said about Hamilton leaving mclaren for Mercedes? Look at how that panned out.....
Just a fan's point of view