Scuderia Ferrari 2014

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
MOWOG

Re: Scuderia Ferrari Team 2014

let me explain a few things to you since you seem to be a little uninformed about what you're talking about.

I don't see why you can't make your point without being so snotty about it. Disparaging others in a debate diminishes your argument, not strengthens it. :wtf:
Some men go crazy; some men go slow. Some men go just where they want; some men never go.

elf341
elf341

giantfan10 wrote:
let me explain a few things to you since you seem to be a little uninformed about what you're talking about...
i suggest you educate yourself about F1 and stop listening to the hype machines called announcers.
how did the Williams end up behind Ferrari at all 3 high downforce tracks if they have this great chassis? monaco hungary and singapore
I agree with MOWOG.
Your attitude aside, you also make some unsubstantiated claims and present them as obvious facts: ferrari 100 less hp? mercedes PU advantage will drop next year? the only reason to reject changing the PU regulations is because it is the golden cow?
Your post is a bunch of opinions.

Regarding your last point, I think you have mistaken why those tracks are called high downforce. They're called that because there is a low drag penalty for dirty downforce (aka aerodynamically inefficient downforce). The implication is that teams which have made sacrifices on their car (be they mechanical, PU based, etc.) in order to increase their general aerodynamic efficiency have LESS of an advantage than they would normally. The really interesting tracks to look at for aero dominance are tracks like Cataluna, Silverstone, Spa - if your car is not aero efficient, they will suffer at those tracks. Williams did very well there.

WaikeCU

Sigh! Handbags weren't made to be thrown at each other.

You just don't say 'decent'. Williams might have had a great season, but this is still mixed feelings. 2013 was a disastrous year and compare 2013 with 2014, it absolutely makes sense that they have a 'decent' season, more like 'glorious' season. But still, the gap with Mercedes is still immense even though it's not as big as the beginning of the season. You don't compare with failures. A student who failed shouldn't think:
"I maybe have failed, but only one student passed the test!"
instead he should think:
"I have failed, so I need to master what the 1 student did to pass the test."
So therefor Ferrari and all the rest need to emulate what Mercedes did. They have set the standard, it's that standard that needs to be broken.

Deconstruct the dominance of Mercedes and compare it with ourselves
- What area do we need to tackle? PU? Chassis? Aero?

Be selective with areas that need improvement
- Apply Pareto principle: By improving efficiency of the PU by 20%, would it lead to 80% better results?

Make a sequence of the problems
- What areas do we need to tackle first and what areas have priority?
1) PU
2) Chassis
3) Aero

Stakes of tackling these areas
- What are the consequences if these improvements have results that are not as expected?
1) downwards performance
2) Falling down the order
3) ...

diffuser

I don't get Vettel coming to Ferrari. IMHO Next to McLaren showing up with a NEW Honda engine ...Red Bull has the best chance of catching merc. They still have the best Chassis and best aero design. If they can get a 50% decrease in the Merc PU edge, I think, they'll be in Merc's face at all races.

I realize Horner doesthink they can make up the PU Gap....but I think they'll be able to put more pressure next year.

Harsha
Harsha

diffuser wrote:I don't get Vettel coming to Ferrari. IMHO Next to McLaren showing up with a NEW Honda engine ...Red Bull has the best chance of catching merc. They still have the best Chassis and best aero design. If they can get a 50% decrease in the Merc PU edge, I think, they'll be in Merc's face at all races.

I realize Horner doesthink they can make up the PU Gap....but I think they'll be able to put more pressure next year.
That surprized every one but we know he will jump to Ferrari when opportunity arises isn't it . The Timing will look bad but who knows what he/Ferrari knows

bhall II
bhall II

grandprix.com wrote:Asked if Vettel wearing red is Mattiacci's parting gift to Ferrari, he said: "If you write that, I will not be sorry."
:lol:

elFranZ

Meanwhile, this morning an "unknown driver" was spotted running a F2012 at Fiorano test circuit...

giantfan10
giantfan10

elf341 wrote:
giantfan10 wrote:
let me explain a few things to you since you seem to be a little uninformed about what you're talking about...
i suggest you educate yourself about F1 and stop listening to the hype machines called announcers.
how did the Williams end up behind Ferrari at all 3 high downforce tracks if they have this great chassis? monaco hungary and singapore
I agree with MOWOG.
Your attitude aside, you also make some unsubstantiated claims and present them as obvious facts: ferrari 100 less hp? mercedes PU advantage will drop next year? the only reason to reject changing the PU regulations is because it is the golden cow?

Regarding your last point, I think you have mistaken why those tracks are called high downforce. They're called that because there is a low drag penalty for dirty downforce (aka aerodynamically inefficient downforce). The implication is that teams which have made sacrifices on their car (be they mechanical, PU based, etc.) in order to increase their general aerodynamic efficiency have LESS of an advantage than they would normally. The really interesting tracks to look at for aero dominance are tracks like Cataluna, Silverstone, Spa - if your car is not aero efficient, they will suffer at those tracks. Williams did very well there.
none of the 3 tracks u listed are low downforce tracks...catalunya would be the closest but 55 percent of that track is wide open throttle with 2 long straights where engine power key
another point is that a way more powerful car has the option to bolt on more downforce and still be comfortably ahead in the speed department..Mercedes
Williams is not as powerful as the mercedes factory team is and is lacking in downforce...i never once said mercedes would be caught next year... i said williams would be

Moose
Moose

giantfan10 wrote:none of the 3 tracks u listed are low downforce tracks...
Bullshit - every one of those 3 tracks is all about efficient high speed aerodynamics. The fact that Ferrari were doing well here (despite their underpowered engine) is a good indication that their aero package is very efficient, especially at high speeds.

windwaves
windwaves

diffuser wrote:I don't get Vettel coming to Ferrari. IMHO Next to McLaren showing up with a NEW Honda engine ...Red Bull has the best chance of catching merc. They still have the best Chassis and best aero design. If they can get a 50% decrease in the Merc PU edge, I think, they'll be in Merc's face at all races.

agreed, except that Vettel to Ferrari is not a big surprise: his relationship with RB was pretty much finished and a move to Ferrari had been in the works for a long time, not even a secret. I remember Domenicali saying how much he liked Vettel on several occasions. Now, Domenicali is the man primarily responsible for destroying Ferrari F1 team. Not a good sign. Thanks God he is gone. Let's hope. F1 needs a strong Ferrari, even though Ferrari needs good F1 results even more.

As to Vettel, I hardly have a strong opinion on this driver. Facts: 4 titles. How much can we say it was the result of such a superior car ? Not sure. I think Vettel though has to show us what he really can do. We shall see.

Cold Fussion
Cold Fussion

giantfan10 wrote:
elf341 wrote:
giantfan10 wrote:
I agree with MOWOG.

none of the 3 tracks u listed are low downforce tracks...catalunya would be the closest but 55 percent of that track is wide open throttle with 2 long straights where engine power key
another point is that a way more powerful car has the option to bolt on more downforce and still be comfortably ahead in the speed department..Mercedes
Williams is not as powerful as the mercedes factory team is and is lacking in downforce...i never once said mercedes would be caught next year... i said williams would be
Your arguments are quite confusing to understand. Catalunya, Silverstone and Spa are tracks that require high aero efficiency because you have long straights and high speed corners, so if your L:D is poor, you will suffer on the straights badly. Monaco is a track where you would sacrifice your mother for more down force regardless of how efficient it was.

timbo
timbo

Meanwhile Vettel is at Fiorano at the wheel of F2012

alexx_88
alexx_88

He'll probably compare it to the 2012 RB and think to himself: "if Alonso nearly snatched the title with this sh***y car, how bad must the F14T must have been?"

Obviously this is tongue in cheek, but seriously, is it reasonable to think that, given the test conditions, he can compare it with the RB8?

timbo
timbo

alexx_88 wrote:He'll probably compare it to the 2012 RB and think to himself: "if Alonso nearly snatched the title with this sh***y car, how bad must the F14T must have been?"

Obviously this is tongue in cheek, but seriously, is it reasonable to think that, given the test conditions, he can compare it with the RB8?
Probably yes. Although it might be that the real difference will be obvious only when the car is pushed to a limit, which is not likely what he'd do right away.

Xwang
Xwang

What is the meaning of this test? Is it to compare Vettel's needs against Alonso's ones in order of drivability using a car not subjected to test limits?