LeMans 24 hours 2011

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
Lurk

Re: LeMans 24 hours 2011

Remains of Rockenfeller's Audi
http://yfrog.com/z/kgwopvj

Steven
Owner

Princey wrote:Alexander Wurz just put the Peugeot no.7 car into the wall.. still going but lost lots of time.. shame for Anthony Davidson.. he had a great drive in the night.
Wurz also did a great job but in that event ended up in the dirt, 50cm off the line as he said himself.

So now, 4h18 left on the clock, Bourdais is now in the lead on the Peugeot #9 . Treluyer in the Audi #2 is 5 seconds behind and has just pitted the lap before.
That Audi though is mightily fast in race conditions and with Peugeot struggling to get heat into their tyres, their only chance to win this will be on lower number of stops and longer stints.

Interesting edition this one...

marcush.
marcush.

A-pilars in current production cars are giving you a similar issue with visibility .A lot of blindout area in the direct periphery of your cvision leading sometimes to spectacular moments...who said racing has no relevance to roadcar development.

flynfrog

pretty shite move by Peugeot using a car 4 laps down and blocking the leader so they can run it down.

gridwalker
gridwalker

The footage of Rockenfella's smash (what little there is of it) :

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sy2JIW0udTo[/youtube]
"Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine ..."

Ciro Pabón

The last 15 minutes. Lotterer.
Ciro

Tozza Mazza

This race is crazy close. After 351 laps there is 11 seconds in it!
that's around 0.03 seconds a lap, the difference between the cars. Just shows why Le Mans is the Mecca of motorsport engineering, and how good a job both Peugeot and Audi have done.

Most of the Peugeot and Audi drivers are probably worthly of an F1 drive.

flynfrog

What a race!

fenix4life
fenix4life

Tozza Mazza wrote: Most of the Peugeot and Audi drivers are probably worthly of an F1 drive.
Some of them already had a previous career in F1.
Mcnish, Bourdais, wurz, gene

Tozza Mazza

Yes, and some of them have showed that they deserve a seat still. I believe that drivers like Trulyer, Lotterer, Pagenaud, Davidson (for sure, he was very impressive), Bourdais, Montagny deserve a place in the top league of motorsport.

Saribro
Saribro

flynfrog wrote:What a race!
No joke. I managed to catch around 20 hours of it, missed Montreal qually by accident and glad I did. With the exception of ~3.5 hours of safety car with the Audi crashes in the early stages, and a few others in the later half, this race was all action all the time. Madness.

gridwalker
gridwalker

I'm glad that Audi won after all of their trials and trubulations over the last 24 hours, though I am slightly biased because of their car's design : it looks like an evil, muscular brute, which plays to my personal sense of aesthetics ... you just don't get lines like that in F1 ;)
"Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine ..."

WhiteBlue

A very enjoyable race if you disregard the Audi accidents of McNish and Rockenfeller.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

Pierce89

flynfrog wrote:pretty shite move by Peugeot using a car 4 laps down and blocking the leader so they can run it down.
that's an absolutely traditional Le Mans tactic, but now you mention it the Peugot was too agressive in blocking, but you are also ignoring th fact that at Le Mans 4 laps down is still in the race till the end. still, worst Le Mans in years, alot of the carnage came from the fact that LMP1 cars were cut from 700 to 550 HP making it harder to clear GT cars.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

Holm86

Pierce89 wrote:
flynfrog wrote:pretty shite move by Peugeot using a car 4 laps down and blocking the leader so they can run it down.
that's an absolutely traditional Le Mans tactic, but now you mention it the Peugot was too agressive in blocking, but you are also ignoring th fact that at Le Mans 4 laps down is still in the race till the end. still, worst Le Mans in years, alot of the carnage came from the fact that LMP1 cars were cut from 700 to 550 HP making it harder to clear GT cars.
What?? The two Audi's that crashed didnt crash because of lack of power.
McNish was a bit too aggresive trying to overtake 2 cars on the inside in the same corner.
The second Audi with Rockenfeller crashed because a Ferrari driver wasnt paying attention and pulled out in his line.