FIA - Centreline Downwash Generating (CDG) Wing

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
manchild

There is a poll on pitpass about suggested knockout qualifying system and 70% of votes are against what FIA suggested! I bet same would happen if CDG was on poll. FIA is not listening to fans but deliberately misinterpreting fans wishes in order to justify its moves. Let them put poll on fia.com if they dare!

BTW, there was plenty places for overtaking for 4 decades even on narrow tracks (Villeneuve/Arnox at Dijon) not to mention that many narrow tracks have be kicked out or widened with some extremely wide just constructed. The problem isn't in tracks... Also, cars are much controllable nowadays and 200mm narrower.

bigpimpinsean05

Ya we sure are in a lil bit of a predicament with what to do with Formula One as of now. And i am the guest who was disagreeing with Manchild about the transmission. I do seriously think the transmission has very lil affect on racing. What makes a driver faster is skill/confidence trust me not some part i mean it helps but not much. I driven a racecar with a standard regular transmission with the whole H pattern and i drove a completely sequential tranny where you don't need to use the clutch to downshit and it doesn't make u any faster cuz u can still downshift too fast it just makes it slightly easier not by much though

Thats my 2 Cents on that

manchild

I wasn’t blaming transmission I blamed automated systems that are doing many jobs instead of driver with perfection and accuracy that no driver could ever achieve. When this is applied on all drivers than you’d get a good racing and overtaking.

Sequential gearbox isn’t just switching gears on click, it is a whole system taking care of how much throttle is opened, prevents missing gears, buring of cluch and most important keeps driver’s foots out of the business when it matters shifting gears including one arm.

Imagine how many operations when downshifting from 7th gear to 1st gear would driver have to accomplish and how many possibilities for miscalculation/mistake would that bring if they would be doing it manually? 50-70 laps, approximately 10 corners, 1000-2000 shifts per driver…

Contemporary drivers aren’t doing more than several percents of what drivers prior to early-mid ‘90s had to do and F1 era ‘50s to‘90s was the era of best racing ever. Automatic/CVT gearboxes existed all that time but were banned. That was advanced technology back than and no one considered that something basically created for housewives should have place in sport where best drivers in the world are supposed their skills.

If ABS as 10 years older system is banned in F1 why wouldn’t sequential gearboxes be banned to just as it is the case with active suspension, 4WD, ceramic, direct fuel injection, direct mixture injection, varibale intake & exhaust, variable valve timing, CVT, active aerodynamics, turbo and supercharger etc.

There is much more banned than allowed technology in F1 and I don’t see why should we cry over sequential gearboxes as if they are contributing to show, spicing up the racing?

bigpimpinsean05

actually man child they are more than likley doing more work then the old school begging drivers. TC works but if you are completely using tc all the time you are not extracing the most out of the car

1)TC is slow if your using it to drive the car there is still throttle control
Anybody who has driven a race car with TC will tell you right away that its just a back up or a lil help when you make a slip up but when your going full out racing it actually slows you down

2)no Anti-Lock Brakes on current cars obviously
3)And all those little gadgets they have to mess with

The current cars just make the drivers more technical intellectually they aren't worse drivers or have it extremely easy like your saying. They weren't doing 3 and a half G's through corners back in the 50 and 60's. Times have changed and so has the driver and the car. Its just the way things are we have to look forward and not look to the past

manchild

bigpimpinsean05 wrote:actually man child they are more than likley doing more work then the old school begging drivers....
You're kidding right?

35 years ago average speed in Monza was over 240km/h - now they make over 260km/h. (in '70s banking wasn't used).

So making slightly slower average lap in something like this you define as less work than in modern F1 car :?: :!:

http://gurneyflap.com/Resources/011.jpg
Last edited by manchild on 25 Oct 2005, 20:56, edited 1 time in total.

bigpimpinsean05

Physically maybe a lil bit because im sure the car was a lil bit heavier. but as in skill no its about the same

RH1300S: Basically I think that tech or no tech the most skilled driver will still come out on top and that some of the most exciting races has happened when the cars have really been full of different gizmos like Sennas great drive at Donington in-93 if Im not misstaken.

But today its so incredibly difficult for the drivers to pass on track and that is reallt frustrating/boring. Solve that and Im happy. I dont care if there is ABS LC TC or semi manual or full auto gearboxes. Of course there is a line like you pointed out and that line should not be crossed where ever it lies. If it lies before or after TC for example I dont know but Im glad that Im not working for the FIA :).

If a gizmo makes the car go faster then Im for it(generally, as long as it doesnt cross the "line") but we all have our own opinion.

Cheers
////////////
=======
||**Fx**||
=======
\\\\\\\\\\\\\

manchild

The CDG Wing marks the first results of the FIA’s collaboration with technology partners AMD…
I think that if read properly it would sound like this: “The CDG Wing marks the first results of the Ferrari’s collaboration with technology partners AMD…”

I say that this is another FIA-Ferrari conspiracy in order to give Ferrari advantage over other teams. FIA’s technology partner has developed solution absolutely impartially from the work they do in Maranello, yeah, right… :^o

AMD F1 involved operations have no contact between themselves and they are so fair that even if something developed for FIA would represent an obstacle to work of Ferrari developers AMD wouldn’t care at all. :^o

I bet this CDG wing was actually given as a hint for new regulations to Ferrari at least year ago before other teams were informed about it just as most of regulations from 5 seasons of dominance… :sick:

Scuderia_Russ

manchild wrote:
Contemporary drivers aren’t doing more than several percents of what drivers prior to early-mid ‘90s had to do and F1 era ‘50s to‘90s was the era of best racing ever. Automatic/CVT gearboxes existed all that time but were banned. That was advanced technology back than and no one considered that something basically created for housewives should have place in sport where best drivers in the world are supposed their skills.
These are the same sort of ramblings that were being spouted years ago as you would have seen if you had read this months Motorsport that had a look back of what Denis Jenkinson thought about the drivers job in 1969! We've got to get away from this 'It was always better in the old days' crap because the best racing is always going to be when you first discovered the sport.

viewtopic.php?t=1535
"Whether you think you can or can't, either way you are right."
-Henry Ford-

Scuderia_Russ

manchild wrote:
The CDG Wing marks the first results of the FIA’s collaboration with technology partners AMD…
I think that if read properly it would sound like this: “The CDG Wing marks the first results of the Ferrari’s collaboration with technology partners AMD…”

I say that this is another FIA-Ferrari conspiracy in order to give Ferrari advantage over other teams. FIA’s technology partner has developed solution absolutely impartially from the work they do in Maranello, yeah, right… :^o
This is just too much Manchild, I used to love this site but your anti F.I.A. and Ferrari rants have really made coming here a misery. CHANGE THE RECORD!!!
"Whether you think you can or can't, either way you are right."
-Henry Ford-

DaveKillens

Hmm Manchild, I use just AMD processors in my computers. Does that make my computer(s) red?

manchild

Scuderia_Russ wrote:This is just too much Manchild, I used to love this site but your anti F.I.A. and Ferrari rants have really made coming here a misery. CHANGE THE RECORD!!!
And what if that what I’m telling here proves to be the truth?

AMD, BRIDGESTONE and OLYMPUS are technical partners of FIA/official F1 website (Bernie) and Ferrari. For me that is way too suspicious to be accepted as “normal”.

bigpimpinsean05

Bridgestone is involved probably because they are going to be the sole tire supplier

AMD=Great Chip for calculations

Olympus......its a camera company

The only thing i'm aware of that they do for ferrari is give them the engine cam

manchild

That is way too much coincidence – 3 companies with completely different products to be involved as technical partners of ruling body and F1 as well as technical partners of one of the teams in the sport.

How fair that can be especially since AMD is doing CFD for FIA?!

Do you really think that AMD guys in Maranello had no idea about what their FIA crew was doing?

BTW, Bridgestone will be sole tyre supplier only if F1 breaks up and than they’ll supply Ferrari, Williams, RBR and STR.

manchild

Dave,

I was also using AMD processor but neither of us is professionally involved in F1. AMD is making money out of its involvement with FIA and Ferrari. Having in mind your own description about how nowadays everything is about the money and that most of the people would do anything to score, doesn’t this abnormal cooperation seam incredibly questionable?

New regulations are sort of a request offered to all teams and after that teams compete to make best out of them.

If AMD now presents CFD it has done for FIA that means that such FIA-AMD related CFD project exists on for a long time. So I don’t see the possibility that AMD as Ferrari partner didn’t simultaneously share their CFD work between FIA and Ferrari or even created solution for FIA based on some research they’ve already done for Maranello.

Imagine if ELF was developing new fuel formula in cooperation with FIA in order to be set as future fuel regulations? What would people think about their relation to Renault?

The question is – why should AMD be neutral?