Wet tires

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
Andres125sx

Wet tires

Hi,

I´m a bit frustrated with current wet tires. We all like wet races, but lately we only see wet races with light rain, or it´s red flaged because of safety.

This is mainly because of aquaplanning and poor visibility, and I´m wondering the reason they don´t use narrower wet tires.

Narrower tires would reduce aquaplanning problem increasing safety, and they also would reduce visibility problems as the spray would be reduced

I´m missing something or narrower wet tires would be better? Obviously grip will be reduced, but if we reduce aquaplanning problem driving will be safer. The most dangerous part of driving under the rain is not the reduced grip, but the posibility to lose all grip suddenly because of aquaplanning

If aquaplanning is reduced as well as the spray (visibility improved) driving in the wet will be much safer and red flags will not be that necessary

Tauri_J
Tauri_J

Re: Wet tires

You are on point...narrower tyre is better when theres standing water on track.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

The big issue is that the bottom of the car itself aquaplanes. Wet weather tyres are designed to have a slightly larger diameter to help lift the cars. If there is deep standing water, however, the plank basically sits on the water and the tyres have no chance. You need to make the teams run the cars higher if you want to increase the a!ount if rain they can physically run in. Of course, visibility is also an issue in very heavy rain.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Andres125sx

Then force teams to run with a min ride height

What´s the point for freedom if that only causes red flags?

Ok DF would decrease, grip would decrease, and then we´d suffer a F1 similar to the pre-aero era, with low grip cars running under the rain with no grip, sliding all around. I wouldn´t mind suffering that sort of competition :mrgreen:

Vyssion
Moderator / Writer

Hmmm the current wet tyres displace something like 60 Litres of water per second at 300 km/hr at the moment... I would say that the main issue that ensues is due to the actual floor hitting stagnant water as was said above. There is a minimum ride height, so to say, but it isn't really a hard and fast thing - it is dependent on how much of the wooden plank is worn away during a race.

If I had to offer a solution which would help this in the wet, and not affect anything else, it would be to increase the diameter of the wet weather tyres by 10mm or so to essentially lift the car up out of the problem. Yes it would affect all sorts of aero/vehicle dynamics and so it most likely wouldn't be that simple, but it's one option potentially...
"And here you will stay, Gandalf the Grey, and rest from journeys. For I am Saruman the Wise, Saruman the Ring-maker, Saruman of Many Colours!"

#aerosaruman

"No Bubble, no BoP, no Avenging Crusader.... HERE COMES THE INCARNATION"!!"

Holm86

Vyssion wrote:Hmmm the current wet tyres displace something like 60 Litres of water per second at 300 km/hr at the moment... I would say that the main issue that ensues is due to the actual floor hitting stagnant water as was said above. There is a minimum ride height, so to say, but it isn't really a hard and fast thing - it is dependent on how much of the wooden plank is worn away during a race.

If I had to offer a solution which would help this in the wet, and not affect anything else, it would be to increase the diameter of the wet weather tyres by 10mm or so to essentially lift the car up out of the problem. Yes it would affect all sorts of aero/vehicle dynamics and so it most likely wouldn't be that simple, but it's one option potentially...
The wets are already 10mm larger diameter than dry tyres.

Vyssion
Moderator / Writer

Holm86 wrote: The wets are already 10mm larger diameter than dry tyres.
Great minds think alike *cough cough* umm totally knew that before I posted... *cough* #-o #-o #-o

Maybe 10mm more?? :mrgreen:
"And here you will stay, Gandalf the Grey, and rest from journeys. For I am Saruman the Wise, Saruman the Ring-maker, Saruman of Many Colours!"

#aerosaruman

"No Bubble, no BoP, no Avenging Crusader.... HERE COMES THE INCARNATION"!!"