Alfa Romeo C38

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Blackout

Re: Alfa Romeo "2019 Contender"

senja wrote:
14 Feb 2019, 21:55
Enstone wrote:
14 Feb 2019, 16:50
Nose architecture Mcl34 alike !
No. They have similar nose before McLaren. This is just evolution of their own nose.

FMP
FMP

ringo wrote:
15 Feb 2019, 05:16
Hmm..
I think usually with front wings, that gap between the front wheel and the part of the wing before the wheel is usually a relatively stagnant area.
Removing this front wing section will now introduce high energy air to the front of wheel and this air will be squeezed to the outside of the wheel and around the car. The wing elements tilted towards the wheel suggest Alfa are trying to squeeze air in front of the tyres.
I have been thinking alike. Please, if any braniac reads this and thinks we're crazy, just let us know we are stupid.

But as you say, high energy air hitting the tyre should result in a bigger tyre squirt. The squirt going on the outside will hence be further away and creating a greater outwash. But what about the tyre squirt going on the inside? I cannot really see anything special with the bargeboards. Is this something that contradicts our ideas or is it me being silly? I haven't seen a good angle of where the front wing top element stops. Is it on the midpoint of the tyre? Will it result in more squirt on the outside?

Lefty8

ringo wrote:
15 Feb 2019, 05:16
Hmm..
I think usually with front wings, that gap between the front wheel and the part of the wing before the wheel is usually a relatively stagnant area.
Removing this front wing section will now introduce high energy air to the front of wheel and this air will be squeezed to the outside of the wheel and around the car. The wing elements tilted towards the wheel suggest Alfa are trying to squeeze air in front of the tyres.
Hi Yes well sort of.
I see that the gurney flap will generate a vortex that will spill across the face of the tyre. This vortex deflects air flowing from directly ahead of the gap up and over the tyre while also channeling air coming off the wing around the side of the tyre and around toward the back. It should reduce drag without compromising downforce. I assume they have done the homework.
otherwise it is a red herring and they don't want eyes to focus on something else that is going on.

Just_a_fan

It seems, to me, that Alfa Romeo (assuming this is the real wing) are attempting to make an inwash wing within the regulations. Their wing will make the usual Y250 vortex but also a similar strong vortex will run from the outer end of the flaps along the inside of the front tyre. This might give them a good way to tidy up the tyre wake and improve the rest of the car's performance.

I wonder if they think they've found a way to seal the floor with this setup. If so, the floor would be producing downforce and the rear wing can be trimmed to balance the front. Maybe, just maybe, they have decent downforce with relatively low drag. If they have managed such a trick then they're going to be handful for the other teams at some circuits.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

NtsParadize

NathanOlder wrote:
14 Feb 2019, 17:04
NtsParadize wrote:
14 Feb 2019, 16:58
Thunder wrote:
08 Feb 2019, 16:03
This is the Alfa Romeo "2019 Contender" offical car thread.

Please discuss ONLY technical items of this car, and refrain from speculation.

General discussion about the team, its drivers and performance can be posted in the team thread.

Livery Talk also belongs in the Team Thread. viewtopic.php?f=15&t=27827
What is this turbo quote? I don't understand it
It means if people want to talk about the livery (the paint job and sponsors stickers) they need to do it in the team thread, and not the car thread. This is currently the car thread and is only for talking about technical items on the 2019 car.
I was talking about the "YOU SHALL NOT STALL"

Thunder

Ok to not drag this any mor OT:

It's just something Gandalf would say if he were to Design an F1 Car, wouldn't he? #whatsappgroupmadness :mrgreen:
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

turbof1

I don't see how questions about our fantastic Lord Of The Rings/Aerodynamics crosssover parody is relevant to the Alfa Romeo car thread. Questions about that belong in the... Well, we don't have a thread for that nor will we ever have one. K, thx, bye. :lol:

And for the last time AeroGollum, no you shall not have The One Vortex Ring!
#AeroFrodo

Vyssion
Moderator / Writer

"And here you will stay, Gandalf the Grey, and rest from journeys. For I am Saruman the Wise, Saruman the Ring-maker, Saruman of Many Colours!"

"I looked then and saw that his robes, which had seemed white, were not so, but were woven of all colours, and if he moved they shimmered and changed hue so that the eye was bewildered"

"And here you will stay, Gandalf the Grey, and rest from journeys. For I am Saruman the Wise, Saruman the Ring-maker, Saruman of Many Colours!"

#aerosaruman

"No Bubble, no BoP, no Avenging Crusader.... HERE COMES THE INCARNATION"!!"

NathanOlder

NtsParadize wrote:
15 Feb 2019, 11:14
NathanOlder wrote:
14 Feb 2019, 17:04
NtsParadize wrote:
14 Feb 2019, 16:58

What is this turbo quote? I don't understand it
It means if people want to talk about the livery (the paint job and sponsors stickers) they need to do it in the team thread, and not the car thread. This is currently the car thread and is only for talking about technical items on the 2019 car.
I was talking about the "YOU SHALL NOT STALL"

:lol: :lol:

my bad.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Just_a_fan

Bunch of nutters in here today! :lol:

#Aeronutters perhaps. 8)
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

nokivasara

cplchanb wrote:
14 Feb 2019, 23:50
nokivasara wrote:
14 Feb 2019, 21:52
I'm actually stunned by that FW, it's like the modern take on the fan car or Brabham 6-wheeler IMHO!

Nowadays with all the computer power available the designs are very similar (even though we know they aren't) but this Alfa FW is so out there that even a person with moderate interest in F1 should notice it! Isn't that great?

I really hope they stick to it, but they'll probably show up with a normal FW come monday.
Well let's not get too excited too quickly... for all we know it could be like the Williams walrus nose or it could be the brawn DD. Lets wait until after the first gp to seem it a revolutionary breakthrough
I meant purely from a design point of view. When was the last time we had a car design that was as different from the rest of the field? If they keep it throughout the winter tests is still to be seen but I like the fact that they have it at the moment.

WaikeCU

nokivasara wrote:
15 Feb 2019, 16:05
cplchanb wrote:
nokivasara wrote:
I'm actually stunned by that FW, it's like the modern take on the fan car or Brabham 6-wheeler IMHO!

Nowadays with all the computer power available the designs are very similar (even though we know they aren't) but this Alfa FW is so out there that even a person with moderate interest in F1 should notice it! Isn't that great?

I really hope they stick to it, but they'll probably show up with a normal FW come monday.
Well let's not get too excited too quickly... for all we know it could be like the Williams walrus nose or it could be the brawn DD. Lets wait until after the first gp to seem it a revolutionary breakthrough
I meant purely from a design point of view. When was the last time we had a car design that was as different from the rest of the field? If they keep it throughout the winter tests is still to be seen but I like the fact that they have it at the moment.
The Renault R31 back in 2011 with its forward facing exhausts?

GrizzleBoy

nokivasara wrote:
cplchanb wrote:
nokivasara wrote:

The McLaren butterfly rear suspension comes to mind.

Watching Kimi on track the car looked stable enough in its own...locked up a few times into slow corners but that doesn't mean anything right now.

paddyf1

GrizzleBoy wrote:
15 Feb 2019, 17:27
nokivasara wrote:
cplchanb wrote:

The McLaren butterfly rear suspension comes to mind.

Watching Kimi on track the car looked stable enough in its own...locked up a few times into slow corners but that doesn't mean anything right now.
"When was the last time we had a car design that was as different from the rest of the field"? 2017 ferrari side pods for one.

Vanja #66

Compared to Haas and Ferrari, Alfa Sauber stands alone. They are doing their things their way. Respect.
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#Aerogimli
#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie