Chassis construction technique for F1?

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
anishhotpunk
anishhotpunk

Chassis construction technique for F1?

I AM BIT EAGER TOO KNOW WHAT ARE OTHER DIFFERENT TECHNIQUE THAT SOME TEAM FOLLOW , INORDER TO CONSTRUCT THE PERFECT CHASSIS WITH VERY HIGH TORISONAL STRENGTH. AND WHAT TYPES OF CARBON FIBRE ARE USED EXCEPT PRE-IMPREGENANT , UNIDIRECTIONAL. ? AND THE WHOLE PROCESS FROM STAGE 1 TO LAST STAGE? AND SPEACIALLY THE CORE OF CHASSIS?

THANKS

ANISH 8)
Last edited by mx_tifoso on 17 Feb 2011, 22:40, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed caps in title. Seriously?

Saribro
Saribro

Re: CHASSIS CONSTRUCTION TECHNIQUE FOR FORMULA 1?

THEY JUST USE THE STUFF THAT'S LABELED WITH ALL CAPS!!!! WINNER EVERY TIME!!!

wesley123
wesley123

broke your caps lock button mister?
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

raymondu999

This might shed some light:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6RZKqzAaHY[/youtube]
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Ciro Pabón

CORE SANDWICH, ALUMINIUM HONEYCOMB. YOU CAN READ IT HERE: HTTP://WWW.F1TECHNICAL.NET/ARTICLES/3. OOPS. I MEAN, HERE: http://www.f1technical.net/articles/3

IN THE WORDS OF TOMBA YOU CAN GET A LEIGHTER (SIC) CHASSIS BY USING CARBON FIBER CREATED WITH THE SOHIO PROCESS WICH INVOLVES AMONOXIDATION REACTION BETWEEN PROPENE AND AMMONIA, RESULTING IN ACRYLONITRITE AND THEM POLYMERIZE IT TO TRANSFORM IT INTO POLYACRYLONITRILE. FDA COLOR # 5 AND ARTIFICIAL FLAVOR ARE OPTIONAL. PRETTY STANDARD WAY TO MAKE CARBON FIBER BUT IT HAS A LOT OF big WORDS. TOMBA EXPLAINS THAT THEN SOME GUY CHECKS IT AND IF IT WORKS THEY RACE.

ABOUT THE ACTUAL DESIGN OF THE PARTS AND THE DIRECTION OF UNIDIRECTIONAL FIBERS TO MAKE IT RESISTANT, I HAVE NO IDEA. SOME PEOPLE HERE KNOWS, LET'S WAIT FOR THEM (USUALLY THEY SAY THEY KNOW BUT THEY WON'T TELL YOU. CHICKENS).
Ciro

ubrben
ubrben

anishhotpunk wrote:I AM BIT EAGER TOO KNOW WHAT ARE OTHER DIFFERENT TECHNIQUE THAT SOME TEAM FOLLOW , INORDER TO CONSTRUCT THE PERFECT CHASSIS WITH VERY HIGH TORISONAL STRENGTH. AND WHAT TYPES OF CARBON FIBRE ARE USED EXCEPT PRE-IMPREGENANT , UNIDIRECTIONAL. ? AND THE WHOLE PROCESS FROM STAGE 1 TO LAST STAGE? AND SPEACIALLY THE CORE OF CHASSIS?

THANKS

ANISH 8)
If you think "perfect" exists stop now :-)

Other than that this sounds like a homework project - what info have you found yourself so far?

Ben

Ciro Pabón

Ciro

raymondu999

Ciro Pabón wrote:Thanks, raymondu, nice.
Cheers :mrgreen:
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

anishhotpunk
anishhotpunk

Re: Chassis construction technique for F1?

HEY GUYS .....NICE PULLING BY THE WAY. LOVED IT THOUGH.

I wanted to start some body coonstruction like formula 1 with carbon fibre with having the same tensile strength and stiffness. just like PAGANI , KEONIGSEGG.

flynfrog

What you are asking is not something that can be easily conveyed over a web forum. I recommend you find a tech school that offers a class in aerospace composite layup. If you still think you want to learn how to layup an F1 car get a ME degree and you might be able to scratch the surface.

marcush.
marcush.

before laying up anything first of all you need a mold,btw.
to create a mold you need to have a master or be confident enough to carve out the mold from a solid block.
with carbonfibre at least you willnot have to think too much about shrink ,at least if you also have the mold in cf....
but I think you are making the mickey of us.It´s like asking how to setup a car or anything else in this .Start asking one question and you will come back with 100 questions .answer those and it lead to 1000 new questions ... definitely not something to be covered in 3 pages of thread.

DOA
DOA

I have been trying to design a carbon tub for a car for the final year project of my degree and what these guys are saying is entirely true. From the extensive research I have done it appears that a lot of it is purely down to experience, masses of testing and finally, bodging it wherever necessary and hoping it holds. Even the FEA programs that are used are completely useless without masses and masses of verification and a number of companies I have spoken to who actually make carbon race tubs dont even do any calculations or analysis whatsoever in the design of their tubs due to the incredible cost of even attempting to do it in the same way you might with traditional materials preferring instead to use the "well its thicker and carbon is stronger than ali/steel for a given thickness whilst still being lighter" approach to bodging what they do. Even producing plug and mould designs and defining the ply layup procedures and techniques is a complete art form/bodge so trying to get the idea over to you of what is involved is impossible. Aerospace and F1 might do it properly (doubt it from my research though) but very few people actually do.

noname
noname

[quote="anishhotpunk"I wanted to start some body coonstruction like formula 1 with carbon fibre with having the same tensile strength and stiffness. just like PAGANI , KEONIGSEGG.[/quote]
Koenigsegg's carbon body is being done in UK by the same company doing composite staff for Airbus, just to name one of its customers.

It was nice to see this beauty being made, or laying naked on the floor... however they are really tight-lipped.

Composite manufacturing, and to some extent design, is still kind of art, which effectively means secrets are well protected.