adjustable front wing usage?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
vall

adjustable front wing usage?

Do you know if some used the movable front wing?

De Jokke

Re: adjustable front wing usage?

Sry, can't tell.
Mercedes AMG + Hamilton => dreamteam!
If you can't beat'em, call Masi!

Henning

I'm disappointed that the movable front wing setting is not included on the in-board graphics along with revs,gear,KERS.

It's a massive change in the regs to have movable aero devices, so to not let the viewers know when it's being used is a mistake in my opinion.

DaveKillens

I am of the opinion that currently the teams and drivers are using the adjustable front wing just for trim. During both the race and qualifying I carefully watched when anyone was changing from one tire compound to another. On the ones I did observe, there were no front wing adjustments made. Considering how everyone states that there is an unbalance between front and rears, and that changing compounds only magnifies the problem, I assume that any time a team goes from hard to soft, or vice versa, front wing trim would be altered. But it didn't happen, and thus my opinion is that they trim out the differences with the adjustable tab.
There has beeen only one race so far, and it's possible everyone is easing into the warm waters of change. Maybe the drivers were not tasked with worrying about the wings, because they had to become adapted to the KERS. Sometimes it's not good to throw too much at anyone, because people need time to assimilate the experience. There's no experience than trying to do the job during the heat of competition. Quite different than testing.
Racing should be decided on the track, not the court room.

vall

DaveKillens wrote:I am of the opinion that currently the teams and drivers are using the adjustable front wing just for trim. During both the race and qualifying I carefully watched when anyone was changing from one tire compound to another. On the ones I did observe, there were no front wing adjustments made. Considering how everyone states that there is an unbalance between front and rears, and that changing compounds only magnifies the problem, I assume that any time a team goes from hard to soft, or vice versa, front wing trim would be altered. But it didn't happen, and thus my opinion is that they trim out the differences with the adjustable tab.
hmmm, if I remember correctly, there were allowed to change only once per lap and then return to original position?

G-Rock

I think it should be outlawed.
What if a driver in the heat of battle, forgets to change in to the "high downforce" setting before a corner and understeers into the wall?
I'm assuming that the wing is trimmed out for the straights and then returned for the corners.
Along with KERS there are too many buttons to play with, not to mention shifting 8 gears!!
--------------------------------------------------------

vall

yeah, it is getting busy in the cockpit. I think the idea is to increase the angle and hence the DF when following a car. This should compensate for the DF losses due to turbulence behind the car and make overtaking easier

kilcoo316

vall wrote:I think the idea is to increase the angle and hence the DF when following a car. This should compensate for the DF losses due to turbulence behind the car and make overtaking easier
Yup.

I think the system would need to be automated to fully unleash the potential.

It shouldn't be too difficult to do based on the difference in deflection between front and rear suspensions.

Front suspension compression less than rear* = more front downforce

Front suspension compression more than rear* = less front downforce

Obviously, it will need a function to describe a variance as the rear has softer springs than front.

Also, the system would need to consider braking & acceleration.

But its not too many variables. Certainly compared to an engine map it can be approximated much simpler.