McLaren MCL60

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
_cerber1

Re: McLaren MCL60

This place is really impressive, absolutely bare levers.

billamend
billamend

f1rules wrote:
13 Feb 2023, 21:26
here the interview with stella,

https://www.racefans.net/2023/02/13/mcl ... for-gains/
So not necessarily we have been able to capitalise these directions in the very short term and that’s why also I talked about the developments coming forward just after the start of the season.
We also have some more high level developments ongoing overall in the team
Any insights PhilipM?

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Chuckjr wrote:
13 Feb 2023, 21:27
SmallSoldier wrote:
13 Feb 2023, 20:45
Good comparison showing the amount of undercut and the flow from the tunnel entrance:

https://i.imgur.com/ifsRm9Y.jpg

Vía: Salvatore Asero
Thank you for that comparison shot, SmallSoldier.

I really like the sculpted smooth undercut of the sidepod. It looks to me so much more streamlined and yes, this seems very RB to me. I like the higher mounted wishbone on the front suspension as maybe that will help fix their front end grip issues via leverage. The Ferrariesque scallops look outstanding and I actually dig the cannon tubes a lot of cars seem to be adapting. A really handsome car, Macca. Really. Looks to me so much more streamlined and sexy than last year. Let’s hope it’s as fast as it looks. Norris deserves a fast car. Well done Macca! 👍
If anything, the car looks more “polished” than last season for a launch spec… A lot of work on the different contours of the sidepods for example.

f1rules
f1rules

i like this neat design feature, where the sidepod shoulder serve as a dual conditioner both aiding/guiding the flow down and around at the front/side sidepod like rb and secondly aiding the flow on the inside like ferrari and alpine, very nice detail i havent seen combined like that by others
Last edited by f1rules on 13 Feb 2023, 21:52, edited 1 time in total.

mwillems

SmallSoldier wrote:
13 Feb 2023, 20:17
Peter Piper wrote:
13 Feb 2023, 20:10
SmallSoldier wrote:
13 Feb 2023, 20:04
Another comparison, this time via Sala Stampa… It seems that the MCL60 might have a bit of rake:
Is that really something we can judge from the available pictures?
Well, that’s all we have to judge by right now :)

But, there was a lot of talk about how with the changes in the floors, having a bit of rake (in order to not only increase downforce, but better manage suspension compliance) was to be expected… Pictures of the 2023 Alpine seem to show some rake also while on their shakedown… I would have expected a bit more rake now that the teams understand how to work with the Venturi tunnels a bit more.
And it is to enable a looser rear suspension and more rake that the rear of the floor has the skidblocks.

You can see the ramp coming from over the tunnel entrance and past the undercut is also trying to send more airflow to deal with tyre wake.

The front wing looks interesting, you'd need to see it in the flesh, but there seems to be elements that are more spoon like at the very front.

And of course the most important changes will be on the floor and diffuser which we can't see.

I feel like it is more heavily refined than it appears at first glance.
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

mwillems wrote:
13 Feb 2023, 21:52
SmallSoldier wrote:
13 Feb 2023, 20:17
Peter Piper wrote:
13 Feb 2023, 20:10

Is that really something we can judge from the available pictures?
Well, that’s all we have to judge by right now :)

But, there was a lot of talk about how with the changes in the floors, having a bit of rake (in order to not only increase downforce, but better manage suspension compliance) was to be expected… Pictures of the 2023 Alpine seem to show some rake also while on their shakedown… I would have expected a bit more rake now that the teams understand how to work with the Venturi tunnels a bit more.
And it is to enable a looser rear suspension and more rake that the rear of the floor has the skidblocks.

You can see the ramp coming from the fences and past the undercut is also trying to send more airflow to deal with tyre wake.

The front wing looks interesting, you'd need to see it in the flesh, but there seems to be elements that are more spoon like at the very front.

And of course the most important changes will be on the floor and diffuser which we can't see.

I feel like it is more heavily refined than it appears at first glance.
I agree… There are a lot of small little details and changes compared to the MCL36 beyond the sidepods (which of course are what catches the eye the most)… But the front wing creates more outwash, they have moved the adjuster as far outboard as possible to create a vortex, they have also increased the width of the main plane of the front wing, allowing them to have the outwash generated by other 3 elements meeting the end plate.

Beyond the changes on the inner and outer fence of the tunnel, the inboard fences are now contoured, similar to what Red Bull used last season, which means that they have understood how to better manage the vortex created by those and the flow at the front portion of the tunnel.

The changes in the suspension are also interesting, with the upper wishbone extremely high (maybe their own interpretation of anti-dive?)

Let’s hope it does imply a step forward to the 2022 car and even though the top 3 may still be out of reach, if the gap closes a bit they would be in the right path.

Mostlyeels
Mostlyeels

f1rules wrote:
13 Feb 2023, 21:26
here the interview with stella,

https://www.racefans.net/2023/02/13/mcl ... for-gains/
First upgrade package in Baku. Seems reasonable.

PhillipM
PhillipM

billamend wrote:
13 Feb 2023, 21:42
Any insights PhilipM?
The race floor isn't on the car yet and I don't know anything else yet, but I would assume it's more front wing work, they're trying to outwash more there and spending quite some time on it.

CjC
CjC

Sorry if someone has already spotted this but I’ve just noticed that they now just have the one middle support for the rear wing where as last year they had 2?
Just a fan's point of view

chrisc90

The sidepod is a work of art but the bit that I really dont like is the such high line on the engine cover under 'Chrome'. It just looks like someone has made a square box and radius' the corner edge of it. It looks out of place.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

CjC wrote:
13 Feb 2023, 23:17
Sorry if someone has already spotted this but I’ve just noticed that they now just have the one middle support for the rear wing where as last year they had 2?
The MCL36 and MCL60 have the same single support

CjC
CjC

SmallSoldier wrote:
13 Feb 2023, 23:20
CjC wrote:
Oh. Could have sworn I’ve just seen a rear wing with a double support- I wanted to check before I posted.
I did wonder if it was to do with the downforce levels? They use a double for a high DF package?
Just a fan's point of view

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

CjC wrote:
13 Feb 2023, 23:26
SmallSoldier wrote:
13 Feb 2023, 23:20
CjC wrote:
Oh. Could have sworn I’ve just seen a rear wing with a double support- I wanted to check before I posted.
I did wonder if it was to do with the downforce levels? They use a double for a high DF package?
Just checked Monaco and Hungary of last year, they used a single one with their high DF package.

godlameroso

Andrea Stella said some interesting things.

“But there’s some more areas, for instance in terms of interaction with the tyres. There’s some work that we needed to do and this was done over the winter.

Stella continues:

“While we are happy with the development of the car in most of the areas, there’s some areas in which we realised a little late to [prioritise] development in some really strong directions.

“So, not necessarily we have been able to capitalise on this direction in the very short term.

https://the-race.com/formula-1/not-enti ... s-already/
Saishū kōnā

PhillipM
PhillipM

That sounds similar to what was being said at the factory wrt the new front tyres needing treating differently.