2023 Singapore Grand Prix - Marina Bay, Sep 15 -17

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
mwillems

Re: 2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

the EDGE wrote:
19 Sep 2023, 12:11
mwillems wrote:
19 Sep 2023, 11:19
PikeStance wrote:
19 Sep 2023, 10:22

He did not maintain control of the car by keeping it within the white lines. He then went off track and gained an advantage. Russel had the right to his line. he is not obligated to get out of his way simply because he is coming in fast. It was a high-risk move that didn't pan out for Hamilton.
As I've said, I'm not questioning this incident in isolation, it is easy to look at that and work out some rules because the FIA docs give you soo much leeway for the stewards. The issue is then comparing it to other examples where the decision runs totally contrary to this and the pass was allowed. Because in other overtakes I can't see an example where it has been so rigorously applied as here with situations that were more slam dunk. This overtake, whilst in isolation makes sense, doesn't make sense in the way these decisions are often made.

We know he went off, the question is around what separates the moves and why is it that when others went off track on escape roads like when Piastri lost a place to Russell in spain and the pass was then made off track, not on, the was the pass allowed, but here he can clear the car and turn in and it is not. Both go off track, Hamilton has more substatially more done than Russel did. The decision around this move whilst it can be logicalised, does not align with previously applied logic and the decision rankles me.
The rule is to do with 'Gaining a lasting advantage', If I am not mistaken, it has nothing specifically to do with overtaking off-track per se.

If you have the right to be left a car's width by the person your overtaking, and they do not, and force you wide, then you can legitimately pass them off-track. I.e you didn't leave the track to gain an advantage, you had no choice but to leave the track

If I'm honest, I'm am surprised they told Lewis to give the place back, but not because I didn't think he should, just I didn't think the stewards would bother to.

I believe what I said originally would be their justification, had Lewis slowed sufficiently to stay on-track, Lando could/would have been able to get the position back, so Lewis was deemed to have gained an advantage

I bet a pound to a penny that had it been a RB or a Ferrari pulling of the Lewis move ,the stewards wouldn't have batted an eye-lid. It is a sad fact the stewarding is completely inconsistent and quite frankly hugely bias IMO. It comes from having local stewards at each event, which is a terrible idea that needs urgently addressing
This did indeed come into my head, I did think that this was a person or situation specific decision, I just didn't want to be the one to say it :D

I agree and understand the logic you gave to a degree, it is the application of it that looks quite new and quite specific to this incident or to this person, however you want to view it, in terms of how a pass is complete, because of the complexity of the manoeuvre and because of past decision. I do have a suspicion it is to do with either the person or what they wanted happening in the race hence Ham could overtake off the track later as overtaking and drama was needed. The application in the past and this year has let it stand for much simpler decisions though, which is what makes me feel it isn't down some very sensible ideas of when is a pass complete. I still have the feeling that it is not clear as to whether the pass on Lando was complete, but I don't think there is a clear answer to it I think that can be argued either way.

But the fact that the decision didn't go his way on something like that where with more slam dunk decisions in the past where the pass did stand... it's fishy.

Even if I don't like a driver, there's nothing more I dislike than when there is something fishy about the application of the rules, it really gets my goat. I do think there needs to be some clarity on how to define when a pass is complete.
But then you know it will have the caveat that it is just a guide and at the stewards discretion, allowing them

a) To make it up as they go if they want and

b) No real accountability
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

mwillems

Darth-Piekus wrote:
19 Sep 2023, 12:24
mwillems wrote:
18 Sep 2023, 18:19

Because it's a forum where we can discuss things amicably without being policed by people with nothing sensible to add!

Or supposed to be.

There's is tons of footage for people to form an opinion and discuss and because someone things it is worth discussing the fine line. And here's the crazy bit, people who want to get involved and discuss can, and those that don't can stay out, and if people aren't interested the discussion will peter out! Seriously, with some of the tripe you put in here why are you now trying to pick up some sort of censorship role? Censor yourself.

But please don't ask questions like "if Zak Brown was wearing red Shoes, and we qualified 3rd, but then he was wearing green shoes and qualified 10th, should he never wear green shoes again?"
Take a deep breath and count to 10 to chill. Im not a moderator to moderate anything. Everyone can discuss whatever they feel like. All Im wondering is why are we trying to debunk the stewards who simply have way more data than any of us. As for the last sentence I would ask you one question. What makes you think your opinion is more relevant than anyone else to the point you are striking below the belt to anyone you dont agree with. Respect the others no matter who they are with their positives and negatives
Because you're
1) questioning why someone comes to a forum to discuss things
2) Suggesting there is no evidence when there is tons of camera angles and were later provided other examples as the conversation developed

And because it frustrates me that people seem to want to decide what should be discussed in a public forum. These things have a way of being ignored if people aren't interested or don't want to reply. And sometimes I think they do this policing because it is the way they think they are staying relevant on the forum.

And because of some of the daft questions you ask, it seems quite odd to see you stewarding what is right to discuss or not. About as consistent as an FIA stewa... wait a minute! Now I know! :D

I don't want to cause offence and I apologise, but you can also please try harder to not mention the $100m fine or be a f_nb_y whenever anything goes against Mclaren :wink: :lol:
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Re: 2023 Singapore Grand Prix - Marina Bay, Sep 15 -17

This isn't the first time that Mercedes staff have skipped the podium when Lewis finished in the top 3. It happened 1 other time this season. I can't recall the specific race but I remember the discussion about it at the time. Very strange. I think the last time it happened, it was suggested that the staff had flights to catch (so this might have been Australia?)

Darth-Piekus

Trust me Im in no way shape or form able to dictate what people can discuss here nor am I trying to. All I said is that the stewards compared to us have more data on their screen and they and Mercedes decided that Lewis had to give the position back to Norris. Hamilton would not have been able to pass Norris if there was a wall there or a sandtrap instead of normal asphalt. At the end of the day the stewards have the dara to decide however noone knows what happens behind the curtains. Corruption exists in every organisation and I do believe the FIA was no exception. However I am in no position to prove it.

Lets just say that its bothering me as a fan of Mclaren our team to be the only one penalized so much in the history of F1 and others escaping without harm for similar offences.

Astro85
Astro85

Is it really a big deal, he has just signed for another two seasons so he can't be feeling that left out.

Spoutnik
Spoutnik

AR3-GP wrote:
19 Sep 2023, 14:19
This isn't the first time that Mercedes staff have skipped the podium when Lewis finished in the top 3. It happened 1 other time this season. I can't recall the specific race but I remember the discussion about it at the time. Very strange. I think the last time it happened, it was suggested that the staff had flights to catch (so this might have been Australia?)
Apparently it was to collect George car...
Who knows really
Double standard, as it's very often the case when it's about Hamilton & Russell

CMSMJ1
CMSMJ1

Lewis and his shortcutting is also in the race thread, where it belongs.

Please take all that over there - thanks
IMPERATOR REX ANGLORUM

Darth-Piekus

Its a little late now. Lewis shortcut is already 6 pages long

cplchanb
cplchanb

TFSA wrote:
19 Sep 2023, 06:28
dialtone wrote:https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F6Qd5l9bMAA ... name=large

Source:

Let's remember this wasn't set as a penalty for Perez, destroyed a car.
Because if anyone is to blame, it's Yuki.

Perez had a clear road ahead of him by the time he had a wheel alongside Yuki on the inside line, which entitles Perez to space. And he was going faster than Yuki.

Yuki then just cuts across him, completely ignoring his presence. I would say that what Yuki did reminded me of Sainz vs. Piastri at Spa, except that unlike Sainz, who was trying to dodge Hamilton at Spa, Yuki had no car on his outside he needed to dodge. He could easily have taken the wider line, giving Perez the space he was entitled to.

You can make arguments for a racing incident, but this was in no way Perez fault.
so by your metric you can divebomb into a corner without any regard to safety and automatically be afforded space? thats max speak right there. what happened to showing caution and due care when making a lunge? the move from perez was desperate and required yuki to yield by force. its what you would find in GT7 lobbies.

cplchanb
cplchanb

Spoutnik wrote:
19 Sep 2023, 14:41
AR3-GP wrote:
Who knows really
Id call BS. you dont need the whole team to pick up a car that has been just loaded onto a flatbed.

basti313
basti313

cplchanb wrote:
19 Sep 2023, 16:05
Spoutnik wrote:
19 Sep 2023, 14:41
AR3-GP wrote:
Who knows really
Id call BS. you dont need the whole team to pick up a car that has been just loaded onto a flatbed.
Sure. But the whole discussion is the same BS.
They lost more points than won. There was simply not a lot to celebrate and it is one of the hardest races for the team...I totally understand if they simply pack for Japan with all hands on deck, lick their wounds, maybe a bit George and go on with their life. Complete nonsense to read things into something that is simply nothing.
Don`t russel the hamster!

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

AR3-GP wrote:
The team had a damaged car to collect and sort from the last lap crash. They also had to pack up for the move to Japan (back to back races) so were all perhaps busy.

Lewis did briefly fire Champagne off the podium on to some people below - perhaps just "his boys" were there.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Wouter

Just_a_fan wrote:
19 Sep 2023, 16:43
AR3-GP wrote:
The team had a damaged car to collect and sort from the last lap crash. They also had to pack up for the move to Japan (back to back races) so were all perhaps busy.

Lewis did briefly fire Champagne off the podium on to some people below - perhaps just "his boys" were there.
Come on! The other two teams also had to go to Japan but celebrated extensively.
In the past, Mercedes also celebrated a podium when they had a back-to-back race.
Doesn't matter anyway, it's just strange that no one from Mercedes was there and they didn't celebrate either.

The Power of Dreams!

dialtone
dialtone

This thing about celebrations is fake drama. They can feel however they want, not sure what the goal is. They aren’t entitled to be sad? People really think they are against Hamilton?

Let them be…

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Wouter wrote:
19 Sep 2023, 17:02

Come on! The other two teams also had to go to Japan but celebrated extensively.
The other two teams are celebrating rare success. Mercedes have spent several years celebrating just about every race and every season. Maybe they're just partied-out. :lol:
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.