2024 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Re: 2024 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

Tiny73 wrote:
19 Apr 2024, 13:08
Just_a_fan wrote:
19 Apr 2024, 12:57
Cs98 wrote:
19 Apr 2024, 11:02

Wouldn't be the Merc thread without the tinfoil coming out. But nah, Lando just drove the best lap and it shouldn't have been deleted in the first place because the lap in question was 100% within track limits.
Wouldn't be the Merc thread without certain regulars being negative about the team and / or a certain driver.

Lando's lap was deserving of pole, no doubt a great lap. But it's the usual freeplaying of the written rules by the FIA's stewards yet again. Either you delete the lap time or you don't. As soon as mitigation is allowed - and I accept the argument for Lando here because he obviously didn't benefit from going off on the last corner - then we're back to contentious stuff getting in the way of the sport. Great for media and forums to fill screen inches, not so great an advert for the sport.
Agree, it must be consistently applied with no subjective interpretation. After all we don’t know for absolute certain that it has no advantage do we? (Yes I know the likelihood is that it didn’t confer an advantage but that’s not the point.)
Seems the bit about deleting the following lap doesn't apply at this track because going off at the last corner doesn't bring an advantage like it does at circuits like Bahrain. That'll teach me for listening to pundits before checking it out properly. :oops:
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Big Gun
Big Gun

Wow the old boy bear GR! everyone said he was done, the old boys Hamilton an Alonso showing the old boys are sill fast in the wet.

Cs98
Cs98

Just_a_fan wrote:
19 Apr 2024, 13:51
Cs98 wrote:
19 Apr 2024, 13:24
Just_a_fan wrote:
19 Apr 2024, 12:57

Wouldn't be the Merc thread without certain regulars being negative about the team and / or a certain driver.

Lando's lap was deserving of pole, no doubt a great lap. But it's the usual freeplaying of the written rules by the FIA's stewards yet again. Either you delete the lap time or you don't. As soon as mitigation is allowed - and I accept the argument for Lando here because he obviously didn't benefit from going off on the last corner - then we're back to contentious stuff getting in the way of the sport. Great for media and forums to fill screen inches, not so great an advert for the sport.
So you're still asserting it's a conspiracy to "mess" with Lewis?

And please point to the written rule which states that lap should've been deleted, we're all dying to read this.
No conspiracy asserted. That laughing emoji shows that it's a joke. A joke.

And having spent more time looking at it, the bit about the last corner of the previous lap doesn't apply at this particular track, so the reinstatement is correct. I'm happy to publicly say so, too.

The stewards messed it up by initially deleting his P1 lap. So still we get the stewards messing it up and creating unnecessary controversy.
Good.

Could've been an automated deletion. Either way, it was corrected within minutes and before the end of quali.

ringo

Re: Mercedes W15

The Alpine looked like a different car with their new floor. Shows how much impact the floor alone has on the car, even when wings were not optimized to it.
Mercedes shouldn't be this incompetent with floor and suspension design, but let's see if they find their eureka moment.
For Sure!!

Hammerfist
Hammerfist

214270 wrote:
19 Apr 2024, 11:24
AR3-GP wrote:
19 Apr 2024, 11:09
214270 wrote:
19 Apr 2024, 11:06
What’s the on whether HAM can get in the mix? Or is he just going to go backwards tomorrow?
Also, it was a vintage performance from Hamilton in the wet SQ3. I was wondering where he was keeping it.
He still has it, that’s for sure; he’s gonna fit right in at Ferrari - they’ll make a good duo over there
I hated the move to Ferrari when it was first anounced but the more time goes by the more it looks likely it was another great gamble by Hamilton. A lot of the haters are going to be very disappointed next year I feel if they think Leclerc is going to annihilate him. And the ferrari car is just getting better and better.

Jdn1327
Jdn1327

I gotta say. I like this jeopardy of not knowing long run pace. I mean rb, fer and mcl are gonna be up there. But if it rains I think merc have a chance at some good points.

Jdn1327
Jdn1327

Hammerfist wrote:
19 Apr 2024, 19:13
214270 wrote:
AR3-GP wrote:

Also, it was a vintage performance from Hamilton in the wet SQ3. I was wondering where he was keeping it.
He still has it, that’s for sure; he’s gonna fit right in at Ferrari - they’ll make a good duo over there
I hated the move to Ferrari when it was first anounced but the more time goes by the more it looks likely it was another great gamble by Hamilton. A lot of the haters are going to be very disappointed next year I feel if they think Leclerc is going to annihilate him. And the ferrari car is just getting better and better.
I have to agree with this one...When the car is there Hamilton usually kicks up another gear. I know all the arguments about how he is supposed to be 'on it' all the time. At his age I don't think he can be at 100 all the time like Russell. So when the car is good he'll get the best out of it all the time. Russell and Hamilton are good drivers. I doubt they care right now about finishing 8th and 9th...they're not gonna give it 100% doing that.

ringo

If Lando is slow in the slow speed in the dry, and the car lacks straight-line pace. Could Lewis overtake Lando at the start?
All it takes is a poor start from Lando and Lewis has a chance to be P1 after lap 1.
For Sure!!

Luscion
Luscion

ringo wrote:
19 Apr 2024, 21:08
If Lando is slow in the slow speed in the dry, and the car lacks straight-line pace. Could Lewis overtake Lando at the start?
All it takes is a poor start from Lando and Lewis has a chance to be P1 after lap 1.
Certainly a possibility, just depends who gets the better start really, based on the highest top speeds Norris was down 4kph on Lewis

CaribouBread
CaribouBread

Re: Mercedes W15

ringo wrote:
19 Apr 2024, 16:50
The Alpine looked like a different car with their new floor. Shows how much impact the floor alone has on the car, even when wings were not optimized to it.
Mercedes shouldn't be this incompetent with floor and suspension design, but let's see if they find their eureka moment.
Its probably has more to do with the lighter chassis as well as the floor in Alpine's case. Making progress in the sharp end is just difficult.

j_ste
j_ste

This feels like getting a million dollar loan but with 200% interest

Hammerfist
Hammerfist

Omg that car is slow. Hamilton over a sec slower than max in the sprint. Very lucky Alonso blocked the faster Ferraris and Perez.

PlatinumZealot

Hammerfist wrote:
214270 wrote:
AR3-GP wrote:

Ferrari/tifosi and Lewis were like water and oil.. just repelling each other.. they were the "enemy" now it's a bit weird to see if they embrace him, and if Lewis' fans embrace Ferrari.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

☄️ Myth of the five suns. ☄️

☀️☀️☀️☀️☀️
LxVxFxHxN

Luscion
Luscion

Hammerfist wrote:
20 Apr 2024, 05:51
Omg that car is slow. Hamilton over a sec slower than max in the sprint. Very lucky Alonso blocked the faster Ferraris and Perez.
He had issues with the car not wanting to turn in the slow speed corners but he was doing alright against Max until he locked up and lost around 0.6secs putting Max within drs range and then it was pretty much over. They do have another 3 hours to change as much as they want on the car due to the new parc ferme rules for sprint weekends so that should help

dialtone
dialtone

PlatinumZealot wrote:
Hammerfist wrote:
214270 wrote:
Ferrari/tifosi and Lewis were like water and oil.. just repelling each other.. they were the "enemy" now it's a bit weird to see if they embrace him, and if Lewis' fans embrace Ferrari.
What? I’m at least one of Ferrari fans that has never said anything bad about Lewis, since well before he signed for Ferrari.