Silly season 2024-2025

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
CHT
CHT

Re: Silly season 2024-2025

Newey has pretty much accomplished everything there is in F1 and he is being paid very well at RBR especially if we include the number of championship bonuses he must have earned over the year. At 65, he is likely to retire from F1 at the peak of his career with record breaking RB19, RB20 and RB21 instead of sacrificing his golden years to take on another mammoth task of trying to win another championship a new organization.

If we consider the timeline, by the time AN leave RBR, the 2026 cars will be on the grid and there will be nothing much AN can influence in the new team until there is a major regulation change. By then he will be in his 70s.

If he quit at his peak, he will be remembered as GOAT and will forever be part of RBR. Personally I would like to see AN joining FIA in the technical regulation department. For sure he will bring back the V10 engine.

sp8472
sp8472

CHT wrote:Newey has pretty much accomplished everything there is in F1 and he is being paid very well at RBR especially if we include the number of championship bonuses he must have earned over the year. At 65, he is likely to retire from F1 at the peak of his career with record breaking RB19, RB20 and RB21 instead of sacrificing his golden years to take on another mammoth task of trying to win another championship a new organization.

If we consider the timeline, by the time AN leave RBR, the 2026 cars will be on the grid and there will be nothing much AN can influence in the new team until there is a major regulation change. By then he will be in his 70s.

If he quit at his peak, he will be remembered as GOAT and will forever be part of RBR. Personally I would like to see AN joining FIA in the technical regulation department. For sure he will bring back the V10 engine.
Great thoughts. I’d love to see Newey as part of F1 technical regulations. He could set better regulations for everyone. But I can’t imagine F1 can pay him the $s rival teams could. Perhaps it could be his way of giving back to the sport?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chuckjr

I just don’t see him wanting to start over again. He is getting up there in age and if he wants to enjoy his wealth, he’s running out of time. Move everything to Italy and start again? Nah. Gardening for at least a year, then integration and building a team around him — he’s looking at mid to late 70’s at least before he could even think about leaving such a huge endeavor all with zero guarantee of success. Lewis is getting old and already showing signs of deterioration. I just don’t see it. He should go to the FIA. Bring sense back into the regs and make the sport as a whole, better. That’s a way to complete a legacy.
Watching F1 since 1986.

CHT
CHT

From what I read, Newey has a contract with RBR till end 2025, and if we add 1 year of gardening leave, he will only be available to join a new team in 2027 at age 68
Without a major technical shake up, there will be not much AN can do to make a slow cars become quicker. I honestly think he should retire and write a new book about how to design RB19 and RB20.

chrisc90

Well there’s hulkenburg leaving haas and to sauber/audi. Which means who is going to leave sauber/audi next year.

Going to get spicy next few weeks I think

Farnborough
Farnborough

CHT wrote:
26 Apr 2024, 06:48
From what I read, Newey has a contract with RBR till end 2025, and if we add 1 year of gardening leave, he will only be available to join a new team in 2027 at age 68
Without a major technical shake up, there will be not much AN can do to make a slow cars become quicker. I honestly think he should retire and write a new book about how to design RB19 and RB20.
My understanding of "gardening leave" is that's only while leaving within the contracted employment period have they any control of it.

Unless there's some contract in place after the signed for conclusion of the employment period, they can go and whistle for any influence. It just doesn't fit within employment law to have control after a contract finished.

CHT
CHT

Farnborough wrote:
26 Apr 2024, 10:55
CHT wrote:
My understanding of "gardening leave" is that's only while leaving within the contracted employment period have they any control of it.

Unless there's some contract in place after the signed for conclusion of the employment period, they can go and whistle for any influence. It just doesn't fit within employment law to have control after a contract finished.
RBR can terminate AN on 30th Dec and put him on gardening leave

Jurgen von Diaz
Jurgen von Diaz

CHT wrote:
Farnborough wrote:
CHT wrote:

RBR can terminate AN on 30th Dec and put him on gardening leave
Is it possible to pay out the gardening leave? Are there any precedents?

Jdn1327
Jdn1327

chrisc90 wrote:
26 Apr 2024, 10:49
Well there’s hulkenburg leaving haas and to sauber/audi. Which means who is going to leave sauber/audi next year.

Going to get spicy next few weeks I think
I think the only logical choice would be to get rid of Bottas, it's harsh but Zhou has far more market appeal in terms of sponsorship. I mean the Chinese Market is huge. So yeah its tough choice but it seems the only right one.

CaribouBread
CaribouBread

Jdn1327 wrote:
26 Apr 2024, 12:46

I think the only logical choice would be to get rid of Bottas, it's harsh but Zhou has far more market appeal in terms of sponsorship. I mean the Chinese Market is huge. So yeah its tough choice but it seems the only right one.
Audi is angling for Sainz + Hulk lineup. If Sainz doesn't play ball, I think Audi could very easily drop Zhou and keep Bottas.

peewon

Farnborough wrote:
CHT wrote:

Non compete clauses are fairly common part of labor regulations across the world including the EU and UK. The terms of the contract can easily extend past the date of 'engagement' (employment date in this case) of the contract. Two separate issues altogether. As for the fairness aspect, its implied that compensation dispensed during the contract also pays for the gardening leave period.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

peewon wrote:
26 Apr 2024, 14:20
Farnborough wrote:
CHT wrote:

Non compete clauses are fairly common part of labor regulations across the world including the EU and UK. The terms of the contract can easily extend past the date of 'engagement' (employment date in this case) of the contract. Two separate issues altogether. As for the fairness aspect, its implied that compensation dispensed during the contract also pays for the gardening leave period.
Non compete clauses have been thrown out by courts. If one is in a small employment environment (such as F1), then preventing moving to a competitor is seen as preventing someone gaining a livelihood. Not in F1, but when I took voluntary redundancy a few years ago, the agreement had a non-compete clause in it. My solicitor said "don't worry about that, it's effectively unenforceable because the courts don't like them, generally". That's in the UK.

And implied contract terms are also not always liked by courts. You can't say, at the end of the employment, "oh, yeah, your salary included 6 months gardening leave, didn't we tell you?" and expect it to wash.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

taperoo2k
taperoo2k

peewon wrote:
Farnborough wrote:
CHT wrote:

It's also possible that if Newey does leave Red Bull and joins another team, that team can come to an agreement with Red Bull to shorten the gardening leave. Money talks in F1.
The thing we don't know is what exit clauses Newey might have in his contract. He might have a clause that allows him to leave and start work at another team almost immediately.

If he's going to Ferrari? Might be his last job in F1 before retirement.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

taperoo2k wrote:
26 Apr 2024, 15:03
peewon wrote:
Farnborough wrote:

It's also possible that if Newey does leave Red Bull and joins another team, that team can come to an agreement with Red Bull to shorten the gardening leave. Money talks in F1.
The thing we don't know is what exit clauses Newey might have in his contract. He might have a clause that allows him to leave and start work at another team almost immediately.

If he's going to Ferrari? Might be his last job in F1 before retirement.
The comments coming from Horner in recent months might actually play in to Newey's hands too - Horner has been saying that Newey isn't that important now - it's Pierre that's the man! - so trying to force him to sit still for a long period "because he's going to a competitor" looks a bit silly. "So, Mr Horner, if Mr Newey isn't that important to your success in recent years, why is it necessary to prevent him working for the next X months?", "Ah, well, yes, erm...", "Thank you Mr Horner. No further questions Your Honour". :lol:
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

langedweil

These kind of cases aren't about people nowadays, but about IP ... and yes, without an agreement between parties they hold up very well in court.
HuggaWugga !