2024 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
DGP123
DGP123

Re: 2024 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

Venturiation wrote:
26 Apr 2024, 17:24
organic wrote:
26 Apr 2024, 16:10
F1-insider (German outlet who were getting fed information by Austrian/verstappen camp of red bull during the Horner saga and when Marko was being ousted at Saudi GP) report that Verstappen team will meet with Mercedes after Miami to see if a deal can be struck

https://f1-insider.com/formel-1-verstap ... gen-63046/

Says that Verstappen wants to bring engineers with him as well as Marko
It's game over for George Russell
Toto will take Max and Kimi so kimi can learn from max and be the future of the team
Pretty much. His fans won’t like hearing it, but sometimes F1 careers come and go, and fail to materialise into anything. F1 is about timing and the cards falling into place. Russell missed the boat in the last regulation, and now it looks like Toto is already lining up his new dream pairing in Max & Kimi. Max bringing staff with him, is also the golden ticket Toto has been looking for, in order to reenergise Merc’s failing technical team.

CaribouBread
CaribouBread

DGP123 wrote:
26 Apr 2024, 17:53
Pretty much. His fans won’t like hearing it, but sometimes F1 careers come and go, and fail to materialise into anything. F1 is about timing and the cards falling into place. Russell missed the boat in the last regulation, and now it looks like Toto is already lining up his new dream pairing in Max & Kimi. Max bringing staff with him, is also the golden ticket Toto has been looking for, in order to reenergise Merc’s failing technical team.
I'm no Russel fan but I think he's done enough to establish that he's a capable and fast driver, and if free he wouldn't have *too* much trouble finding a seat (given he doesn't suffer from horrendous luck/timing). But as things look now, his Merc dream might not have materialized the way he wanted to.

Venturiation
Venturiation

CaribouBread wrote:
26 Apr 2024, 18:01
DGP123 wrote:
I'm no Russel fan but I think he's done enough to establish that he's a capable and fast driver, and if free he wouldn't have *too* much trouble finding a seat (given he doesn't suffer from horrendous luck/timing). But as things look now, his Merc dream might not have materialized the way he wanted to.
haas is taken by bearman, audi wants 3 years with hulk and sainz
his options are going to be williams , alpine or redbull if they don't take their junior drivers

cheeRS
cheeRS

DGP123 wrote:
Venturiation wrote:
organic wrote:
F1-insider (German outlet who were getting fed information by Austrian/verstappen camp of red bull during the Horner saga and when Marko was being ousted at Saudi GP) report that Verstappen team will meet with Mercedes after Miami to see if a deal can be struck

Toto will take Max and Kimi so kimi can learn from max and be the future of the team

I agree with that, with the exception that I think Russell would have a good chance to move to Redbull. With Max gone, Perez makes even less sense, so let's assume both seats are available. IMO Russell is a much better choice than both Riccardo and Tsunoda. Russell at Redbull could be the best move of his career.

I realize there is a lot of assumptions that are taken for granted here, but it's fun to speculate! :P
🤭 wrote:
“Being the 'most successful statistically' has nothing to do with being the 'best'. neither when it comes to the cars, nor when it comes to the drivers” 😂

Venturiation
Venturiation

cheeRS wrote:
26 Apr 2024, 18:24
DGP123 wrote:
Venturiation wrote:

I agree with that, with the exception that I think Russell would have a good chance to move to Redbull. With Max gone, Perez makes even less sense, so let's assume both seats are available. IMO Russell is a much better choice than both Riccardo and Tsunoda. Russell at Redbull could be the best move of his career.

I realize there is a lot of assumptions that are taken for granted here, but it's fun to speculate! :P
if the rumors are true redbull will be the worst choice, bad engine, technical team left with max

Dunlay
Dunlay

Venturiation wrote:
26 Apr 2024, 18:28
cheeRS wrote:
DGP123 wrote:

if the rumors are true redbull will be the worst choice, bad engine, technical team left with max
Not sure which rumors you are talking because Marko, who is "rumoredly" moving to Mercedes if Max moves, has been going on and on about how RBPT is so far ahead on the engine side. You can't get a much closer source to talk about the state of affairs on the engine side than Marko himself. On the contrary, Mercedes engine side has been very quiet. That side has lost so many engineers to RBPT and currently 3rd best engine behind Honda and Ferrari. Does anyone know if Max is going to take his engineers in the garage or the engineers from the Red Bull design team with whom he would have very limited interactions, for that matter any driver. How many can Mercedes hire with them having to let go so many themselves because of cost cap? Of course these engineers aren't going to be coming for free or without a significant raise in their remuneration. Are they going to be the silver bullet to the Mercedes woes, who have struggled to understand their car for 3 straight years? Is Max going to bring hundreds of engineers that can replace every department of the car making? Easy said than done.

Nobody has crystal ball to know what happens in future, but given the current rate of progress at Red Bull, it's a safe bet to take up any offer that comes from Red Bull for George, rather than hope that Max and his coterie would bring some magic potion and revive the luck of Mercedes.

Venturiation
Venturiation

Dunlay wrote:
26 Apr 2024, 18:46
Venturiation wrote:
cheeRS wrote:

Not sure which rumors you are talking because Marko, who is "rumoredly" moving to Mercedes if Max moves, has been going on and on about how RBPT is so far ahead on the engine side. You can't get a much closer source to talk about the state of affairs on the engine side than Marko himself. On the contrary, Mercedes engine side has been very quiet. That side has lost so many engineers to RBPT and currently 3rd best engine behind Honda and Ferrari. Does anyone know if Max is going to take his engineers in the garage or the engineers from the Red Bull design team with whom he would have very limited interactions, for that matter any driver. How many can Mercedes hire with them having to let go so many themselves because of cost cap? Of course these engineers aren't going to be coming for free or without a significant raise in their remuneration. Are they going to be the silver bullet to the Mercedes woes, who have struggled to understand their car for 3 straight years? Is Max going to bring hundreds of engineers that can replace every department of the car making? Easy said than done.

Nobody has crystal ball to know what happens in future, but given the current rate of progress at Red Bull, it's a safe bet to take up any offer that comes from Red Bull for George, rather than hope that Max and his coterie would bring some magic potion and revive the luck of Mercedes.
Horner and max recently complained about the engine

Dunlay
Dunlay

Venturiation wrote:
26 Apr 2024, 18:49
Dunlay wrote:
26 Apr 2024, 18:46
Venturiation wrote:

Horner and max recently complained about the engine
https://www.si.com/fannation/racing/f1b ... %20engines.

Speaking on Red Bull Powertrain's progress with its power unit, he added:

“Even though we are still a long way from competitive use, everything is going according to plan and the performance curve is right.”

https://www.gpblog.com/en/news/265568/v ... ngine.html

For now, Verstappen is not worried about the project surrounding Red Bull Powertrains: "If I have to speculate about everything... I could also worry about whether I'm still alive tomorrow, right? So I'm not too worried about that."

He continued: "Of course I am also in close contact with Christian [Horner] and the people working there about that. Everyone is working very hard, so there is no need to panic about that. It's still not 2026. We know it's a big task, we don't take that lightly. With so many established engine manufacturers, we also don't think it will be easy to beat them. But there are a lot of good people working on the project and we are very excited about it. So time will tell where we will be."

chrisc90

I was going to say, they were having a moan about how the engine was overall in terms of the FIA's design, rather than complaining about their own engine unit

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

What position could Mercedes offer Wache that doesn't make James Allison redundant?

K1Plus
K1Plus

AR3-GP wrote:
26 Apr 2024, 19:16
What position could Mercedes offer Wache that doesn't make James Allison redundant?
He could at Mercedes take the position that Newey right now has at RB. The CTO position. Chief technical officer is responsible for the whole man management within the technical team and technical team long term goals and operations and who works in what department and is above the technical director, who oversees car development and the departments.

Dunlay
Dunlay

chrisc90 wrote:
26 Apr 2024, 19:04
I was going to say, they were having a moan about how the engine was overall in terms of the FIA's design, rather than complaining about their own engine unit
You are right. That's what the concern was from Max and Horner.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

AR3-GP wrote:
Maybe James is happy to retire...
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Just_a_fan wrote:
27 Apr 2024, 01:24
AR3-GP wrote:
Maybe James is happy to retire...
He just signed a new long term contract for technical director.

PlatinumZealot

organic wrote:

Marko and corporate?! Nah.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏